Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Gay people can have children too, you know! People in this thread seem not to have noticed that
    True, but it just doesn't feel as right if you've got test tubes and/or surrogates involved - even then, any children will only have one of it's parents as a bio-parent. I know some gay people see not being able to have children with the person they love as quite sad.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the fact that I've been in love with the same girl for pretty close to four years now is also just a phase. :rolleyes: Ahh, take your trolling elsewhere. These arguments are boring.
    Oh well La-De-Da, you think you're in love

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind tbh, may be a bit gutted at the possibility of not having a grandchild, but that could happen anyway, and still could happen, so I dunno what I'm on about. No, I wouldn't care at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think deep down no parent wants their kid to be camp
    few people care about homosexuality these days but camp (guys anyway) is ANNOYING AS ****

ReputationRep:
    deep down,no parent wants their kid to be a drunkerd,smoker,drug abuser,chav,having sex at at the age of 15,racist,bully,failure...

Its just something which people(parents) and society adapts to.

ReputationRep:
    I would be delighted if any child of mine were gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    My Child will not be gay.
    Boo!

ReputationRep:
    The ONLY reason I can think of to be negative, is the fact they'll suffer some prejudice in their lives.

Apart from that, I genuinely wouldn't mind - I'd probably love it tbh. They'd give me great fashion advice, laughs, wouldn't be misogynist and I wouldn't have any horrible grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    I agree I really wouldnt want my child to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah, I'd like to have grandchildren. Biological grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    Oh well La-De-Da, you think you're in love
    Luckily, I don't need TSR trolls to approve my emotions.

(Original post by Hopple)
    True, but it just doesn't feel as right if you've got test tubes and/or surrogates involved - even then, any children will only have one of it's parents as a bio-parent. I know some gay people see not being able to have children with the person they love as quite sad.
    It is true that as yet, a same-sex couple can't create a child which is biologically related to both of them. But they're looking into stuff with fusing two eggs to make a daughter, and there's adoption, or sperm donation, or sleeping with someone else, or something. I do understand feeling kind of sorry for your gay child because they can't create a baby which is half theirs, half their partner's, but... I don't think 'I can't have grandchildren' is a good enough reason to take exception to one's kid being gay :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?

if i only had one child i'd honestly probably be a bit disappointed, not because of the gay thing but because it might mean i wouldn't have grandkids or they might not have a wedding day... and also i'd know it would be so much easier for them in life to be straight, because they'd have to put up with bigotry and stress of finding a partner (especially if they weren't into the camp flamboyant gays because it's hard to know whether the people who aren't like that are gay) and coming out and prejudice, especially if they weren't that confident. but i honestly wouldn't care about the actual gay part of it, more of the effect on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    The ONLY reason I can think of to be negative, is the fact they'll suffer some prejudice in their lives.

Apart from that, I genuinely wouldn't mind - I'd probably love it tbh. They'd give me great fashion advice, laughs, wouldn't be misogynist and I wouldn't have any horrible grandchildren.
    What a horrific generalisation!

ReputationRep:
    Cos all gay people have great fashion sense, are funny and aren't misogynistic. :wtf:

They can't adopt grandchildren either. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You could quite easily argue that heterosexuality is normal. Around 90% of people are heterosexual and it is therefore, by definition, the norm.
    You could also argue that homosexuality is normal because you expect a certain proportion of a population to be homosexual.

I don't think 'normal' necessarily means majority. Just because 50.something% of the population is male doesn't mean that we say it is normal for people to be male rather than female.

ReputationRep:

Lol...who are you?? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    It is true that as yet, a same-sex couple can't create a child which is biologically related to both of them. But they're looking into stuff with fusing two eggs to make a daughter, and there's adoption, or sperm donation, or sleeping with someone else, or something. I do understand feeling kind of sorry for your gay child because they can't create a baby which is half theirs, half their partner's, but... I don't think 'I can't have grandchildren' is a good enough reason to take exception to one's kid being gay :no:
    Would you want your child to be gay?

ReputationRep:
    What a horrific generalisation!
    Well obviously I can't say 100% of people are like this, but most of the straight guys I know are misogynist with bad fashion sense, and the gay people I have met have been...well, exactly the stereotype. Sorry for generalising but there is a reason this generalisation exists, because it's true for quite a few people.

ReputationRep:
    Because you'd be concerned that they would have to face undue prejudices throughout their life? Because you would worry that they would be unfairly ostracized by certain groups of people?

Would they not live a much easier life if they were straight?
    By the time i've had kids and they've grown up and decided they were homosexual, by that time a lot of the bigots will have died out and Britain will be more permissive than it is today.

I'd be more concerned about them not being good looking, that would have long lasting negative percussions in their lives whether society is tolerant or not. Luckily I don't think that's going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Oh stop being silly! - Heterosexuality is not normal!. Nothing is normal! Normal is relative - i.e. merely abiding by social norms.

Sexuality is minor - it should not make you view somebody differently.

Would you still be disappointed in that child if he/she were to be very successful in life? If yes, then you should not even be a parent.
    heterosexuality is "normal"... normal is the average, the majority of people (and other animals) are heterosexual.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.