Turn on thread page Beta

Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay watch

ReputationRep:
    My Dad would be pissed off if I was gay. So would I if my children were gay too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    There's a lot more stigma attached to male homosexuality than there is female homosexuality.
    well thanks for stating the obvious. as a homosexual do you think i don't know that :')
    it doesn't change what i just said though so it was a pointless remark.
    homosexuality is the same no matter who it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    By the time i've had kids and they've grown up and decided they were homosexual, by that time a lot of the bigots will have died out and Britain will be more permissive than it is today.

I'd be more concerned about them not being good looking, that would have long lasting negative percussions in their lives whether society is tolerant or not. Luckily I don't think that's going to happen.
    Firstly, that's assuming a hell of a lot. You cannot possibly hope to accurately predict how society's attitudes will change in the future. Secondly, there will still always be those groups of people who will treat homosexuals with unfair distaste.

Finally, your second paragraph is entirely moot and irrelevant to this discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    The ONLY reason I can think of to be negative, is the fact they'll suffer some prejudice in their lives.

Apart from that, I genuinely wouldn't mind - I'd probably love it tbh. They'd give me great fashion advice, laughs, wouldn't be misogynist and I wouldn't have any horrible grandchildren.
    stereotype much? and what if it was a lesbian daughter, if you're following stereotypes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Oh I see, you're a troll
    hmm...seriously though....

why not adopt a child from this country??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    You could also argue that homosexuality is normal because you expect a certain proportion of a population to be homosexual.

I don't think 'normal' necessarily means majority. Just because 50.something% of the population is male doesn't mean that we say it is normal for people to be male rather than female.
    the difference between male/female population is practically negligable so it's a completely different situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)

I agree. As a gay man, me and my fiance would like to adopt one day in the UK, when we are older. There are so many kids in the UK who need homes, just a pity it is very hard for gays to adopt (although some will say this is a good thing ofc).

Anyway, if we got a child, i wouldn't mind how its sexuality turned out, as long as they were happy and comfortable with who they are.

ReputationRep:
    What if the parents are divorced because they find out that they were gay? Would they still be against it. What if the parents are bi?
    What now?
    But you are mostly right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDannyManCan)
    Nah, that's a load of *******s.
    Any loving parent should accept their child for who they are, gay or otherwise.
    That's just extending one person's feelings towards homosexuality and trying to say that everyone feels it. Rubbish.
    I just knew that someone would miss the point spectacularly on this thread.

(Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Oh stop being silly! - Heterosexuality is not normal!. Nothing is normal! Normal is relative - i.e. merely abiding by social norms.
    Oh look, you've contradicted yourself within two sentences.

(Original post by ilickbatteries)
    There's a lot more stigma attached to male homosexuality than there is female homosexuality.
    Complete and utter rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    Thats why you should always have more than one, just incase
    My thoughts exactly lol. Gotta plan ahead with contingencies.

ReputationRep:
    Balls. Our parents' generation is more likely to be homophobic, because the time they grew up in weren't as accepting of homosexuals as ours is - The same reason pretty much all grandparents are massive racists.
    There's the issue of wanting grandkids - But adoption gets around that issue pretty easily. Personally, I don't like my parents seeing me as a sexual being in any way. When I get married, I hope they'll think we just cuddle.

ReputationRep:
    I believe even gay parents preferred their children to be straight.. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helevorn)
    I agree. As a gay man, me and my fiance would like to adopt one day in the UK, when we are older. There are so many kids in the UK who need homes, just a pity it is very hard for gays to adopt (although some will say this is a good thing ofc).

Anyway, if we got a child, i wouldn't mind how its sexuality turned out, as long as they were happy and comfortable with who they are.
    genuinely interested here.....

so how would you go about explaining things like sexuality and stuff to the child.....but without promoting one sexuality over the other....

Lies!

I would want my kids to be gay. Being on the outside of the norm is a priceless life experience. It gives people something, puts it in their heart. Makes them see things that the majority cant.

ReputationRep:

so how would you go about explaining things like sexuality and stuff to the child.....but without promoting one sexuality over the other....
    Can you really promote a sexuality? It's a feeling, an attraction - not politics.
    Even if you told a child that only homosexual relationships exists (which of course, nobody would do, and would be impossible to pull off anyway), the kid will just find out for himself when Sally makes his pants feel funny.

ReputationRep:

good god, it's not even me that wants to adopt from a 3rd world country!

ReputationRep:

That's something we have talked about it, and it's such an awkward issue. I mean when i was taught sexuality in school i was taught male + female, so that was one sided. I suppose when they are at the right time and 'the talk' is needed we will just explain how there are different types of families etc etc and that all are equal.

I don't believe though for a second that a child with gay parents will automatically be gay.

ReputationRep:
    My mum has so far been very supportive and understanding of both me being bisexual and transgendered. My dad is supportive about the bisexual part, but he married a woman who used to be a lesbian, so I suppose that's why. He doesn't know about the trans* part yet, but I'm working on that.

Being gay or bi or trans doesn't affect who you are in the slightest. As long as my child would be safe, I don't care who they'd want to climb into bed with or whether or not they'd be cisgendered. It wouldn't matter to me in the slightest - they're still the same person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesphena)
    Its not really any of your business who your child chooses to have sex with tbqh.
    Even if it's pervy ol' Uncle Sidney?

ReputationRep:
    If funny Uncles are really called "Pervy Ol' Uncle Sidney", you'd think the kids would have the sense to stay away. It's not like his parents weren't warning you.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.