Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nobody 'wants' to be gay either, because it isn't, never was and never will be a choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather my kid be a rapist/murderer than a queer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanyewest)
    I'd rather my kid be a rapist/murderer than a queer.
    Yeah, bye now.

I dont have a kid yet, so Id want it to be straight. Kinda for its own safety, but also cos my lineage would stop with that one and only gay son, I have no brothers. (I inherently love my family, I cant think why else such a trival thing matters, especially when balanced with my childs happiness.)

If I had a gay child I would ethier accept it or GTFO, not my right to choose. and it would probably make me even prouder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    i don't care if my children would be gay or not as long they're happy. If they're happy then i'm happy.

the only thing i can think of is that i would worry about the kids being bullied

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely would not care. Genuinely. I understand being gay from a boys perspective as I'm a straight girl and completely understand attraction to another man. I also would understand being a lesbian as I also have attraction to certain girls. I think understanding is the key to accepting.

ReputationRep:
    And its funny as out of all my family members its my brother and sister that would be uncomfortable with me bringing a girl home. My parents would be fine with me being a lesbian but not them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    most people as they become older become more conservative. so, yes, the kid might think that being gay is cool and kind of nifty. but an oldster would think, heck i'm not going to have grandchildren. and i'm not going to have a calm collected child to help me in old age, i'll have some fashion-obsessed nincompoop. and the other guys are going to wonder if my sperm is a bit sub-standard. so, yeah, i think it is true that no parent wants their kid to be gay.
    do you really expect me to take you seriously?

ReputationRep:
    my mum asked if my sister was a lesbian :yep:
    she's not :L

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about the pops but my mother would be horrified if I was gay. It's because she lets the bible do the thinking for her. I wouldn't care if I had gay kids in the slightest. Whatever makes them happy

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care at all if one or more of my future kids (if I have kids) were gay.

ReputationRep:
    Gay parents probably wouldnt care if their kids turned out gay...

ReputationRep:
    My parents said they would disown me if I were gay. Fortunately im not. :awesome: But that's what my parents say. When I pressed them harder ........ They confirmed they were serious. I just pray for my other 2 brothers. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    Elton John might....?!
    Keeping it in the family, hey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    the difference between male/female population is practically negligable so it's a completely different situation.
    I was trying to make the point that the incidence of homosexuality is large enough so that being homosexual could be described as normal. You expect a certain significant proportion of the population to be homosexual. If 1 in 3000 people turned out to be homosexual then I would accept that it wouldn't be normal (to be homosexual) but it seems to me that, since it occurs in around 1 in 20 people (95% hetero, as I have seen elsewhere on this thread), it is wrong to say that homosexuality isn't normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    I was trying to make the point that the incidence of homosexuality is large enough so that being homosexual could be described as normal. You expect a certain significant proportion of the population to be homosexual. If 1 in 3000 people turned out to be homosexual then I would accept that it wouldn't be normal (to be homosexual) but it seems to me that, since it occurs in around 1 in 20 people (95%, as I have seen elsewhere on this thread), it is wrong to say that homosexuality isn't normal.
    I agree: 'normal' does not mean belonging to the majority under some measure. Rather, 'normal' means conforming to a standard that can be expected. Only 2% of the population has green eyes (far fewer than are homosexual), yet we can consider green eyes 'normal' because there is a large enough incidence of green eyes for it to be an expectable pattern.

Similarly, it is 'normal' to be from the US, even though we only constitute 4.5% of the world population (again, fewer than are homosexual). It may even be 'normal' to be British and you account for less than one percent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    So compasionate, you must be one of those tolerant Muslims I keep hearing about.

Then you will have to get rid of the both of them

I don't think your gay, I think your confused or attention seeking. It seems more and more young females are coming out, its almost a fashion statement these days.
    hypocritical much?

(Original post by T.I.)
    I am not Muslim, there is nothing wrong with wanting my son to be straight.
    there is a differnce between preferring your child to be straight and outright disowning them if they were gay.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well La-De-Da, you think you're in love
    I think it's amazing how you know everything about everyone on this forum despite never meeting them, I have always wanted to meet a psychic! Could you tell me if my grandmother is ok? Also I would like to know if my career path is right for me or should I consider something else? You don't have to tell me on here, send it to my email address, you know what it is. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP is probably right, for two reasons.

1 - Even now, a lot of parents grew up at a time when being gay was not ok, when it was not socially acceptable (or their parents held those views and passed them on). I think in few decades, our society will be much more tolerent.

2 - The issue about being gay is "harder". You can't really deny it, being gay would open you up to bullying / discrimination. Similarly to the above, as time goes on, I think it will become less of an issue.

Personally, I wouldn't care. Possibly would be disapointed about grandkids etc, although saying that I really can't see me wanting kids (at least in the foreseable future), let alone wanting grandkids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    1 It's not natural.
    2 It is.

hahaha. yes it is natural otherwise people wouldn't BE gay.
    you cant possibly understand being gay unless you are gay so don't try and pretend you know ANYTHING about what its like.
    please never have a kid... youre the biggest ****er i think iv ever come across. now stop quoting me and if you do again i wont read it cause i really couldnt care less about your pathetic close minded opinions. jack ass :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    Obviously no parent would PREFER their kids to be gay, because then they won't have the joy of meeting their biological grandchildren.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.