Turn on thread page Beta

How long will it take to train up for the Race For Life? watch

ReputationRep:
    My Mum has asked me to do the 5K Race For Life at the end June this year but I am wondering whether I will be able to get fit quick enough.

I literally haven't exercised since around January time and even then I've never really run long than 15 minutes ever (used to do half an hour but on a treadmill going quite slow i.e. level 5 for a minute than level 7 for 30 seconds alternate). I gave up all the sport I used to do this year so I'm not very fit but I would like to get fit and this could be the motivation I need. I'm worried that I won't be able to do it though and I definitely want to run it and complete it with a good time.

I won't be able to do any exercise until Easter time at least since I'm going on holiday so I will only have a couple of months. How often and how long do you think I will need to train? What would be a good training schedule? Should I cut down on what I eat (being a Year 12 I'm eating **** every single day). I would be doing a 6 mile walk for charity just 3 days before as well so I want to be fit enough to do this and still be able to do the 5K (not too worried about the walk as I have done Bronze and Silver D of E with no fitness training - I'm a good walker ).

Do you think I can do it? A plan or regime by any pros would be great if you could! And thanks for reading this long post - I ramble a lot! :p:

ReputationRep:
    google couch to 5k or just go out there when you next can and nail a 5k and see how it goes, either way will help

Also no exercise till easter? i am sure you could fit in a random 5k attempt, even if your very very slow it will be less than an hour of your time, maybe an hour and a half including time to get ready/shower when you get back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Pete)
    google couch to 5k or just go out there when you next can and nail a 5k and see how it goes, either way will help

Also no exercise till easter? i am sure you could fit in a random 5k attempt, even if your very very slow it will be less than an hour of your time, maybe an hour and a half including time to get ready/shower when you get back.
    I tried the Couch to 5K last year but I gave up around week 4 (I was waking up at 5:45am for this and it took it's toll). I might try it again though Would you say it's easier to just keep running until I need to stop or to do a course like the Cto5K? I think I would do this after school though because the morning thing is just to difficult and I'm already a late sleeper.

Yeah it will be Easter because I'm going on holiday in a few days :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)

I won't be able to do any exercise until Easter time at least since I'm going on holiday so I will only have a couple of months. How often and how long do you think I will need to train? What would be a good training schedule? Should I cut down on what I eat (being a Year 12 I'm eating **** every single day). I would be doing a 6 mile walk for charity just 3 days before as well so I want to be fit enough to do this and still be able to do the 5K (not too worried about the walk as I have done Bronze and Silver D of E with no fitness training - I'm a good walker ).
    First thing is a 6 mile walk is nothing and wont affect you at all if you have any level of fitness...

And at your fitness level of not having exercised for months i'd go for couch to 5k... But maybe jump in at week 2 or 3 if your fitness level atm is alright...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.