Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this would be the correct thread to post this in. So how many Gilbert and Sullivan fans are there out there?

Have you seen a live performance before? When and where was it? How did you find it? Also, what is your favourite work by the pair? Favourite pieces, too?

I've recently read the biography by Hesketh Pearson, and have to say the two were absolutely delightful. Funny how such masterpieces were created from a constantly rocky partnership. I definitely find Gilbert the more likeable of the two, plus his off the stage personality reminds me much of myself.

Hopefully, this should coax you all out of hiding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    I suppose this would be the correct thread to post this in. So how many Gilbert and Sullivan fans are there out there?

Have you seen a live performance before? When and where was it? How did you find it? Also, what is your favourite work by the pair? Favourite pieces, too?

I've recently read the biography by Hesketh Pearson, and have to say the two were absolutely delightful. Funny how such masterpieces were created from a constantly rocky partnership. I definitely find Gilbert the more likeable of the two, plus his off the stage personality reminds me much of myself.

Hopefully, this should coax you all out of hiding.

Hey there!

I saw a production of Iolanthe during my time at uni (Cambridge) - really really enjoyed it!

Unfortunately it's the only performance I've seen. I feel bad about this, as I happen to be a direct descendant of Gilbert! I just wasn't brought up with opera/taught a musical instrument/etc. Was never introduced to that world - but really loved Iolanthe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7he5haman)
    Hey there!

I saw a production of Iolanthe during my time at uni (Cambridge) - really really enjoyed it!

Unfortunately it's the only performance I've seen. I feel bad about this, as I happen to be a direct descendant of Gilbert! I just wasn't brought up with opera/taught a musical instrument/etc. Was never introduced to that world - but really loved Iolanthe!
    Hello!

I haven't seen Iolanthe in theatres before, nor have I purchased a CD of the work (I'm not sure if there is one?), though would jump at the opportunity to see it!

A direct descendant of Gilbert!? Holy cow. How far down? From which side of your family? Forgive me if I'm prying.

I wasn't brought up with opera either, though I started getting into it, deeper and deeper, until I discovered the world that is G & S. I think I started with Mozart's 'Die Zauberflöte', about two years ago. It's never too late!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I haven't seen Iolanthe in theatres before, nor have I purchased a CD of the work (I'm not sure if there is one?), though would jump at the opportunity to see it!

A direct descendant of Gilbert!? Holy cow. How far down? From which side of your family? Forgive me if I'm prying.

I wasn't brought up with opera either, though I started getting into it, deeper and deeper, until I discovered the world that is G & S. I think I started with Mozart's 'Die Zauberflöte', about two years ago. It's never too late!

Where do you go to watch performances? I'd certainly like to do it again

At Cambridge there is a Glibert and Sullivan society. One thing I noticed was that all the members (some of whom I made friends with - I never fully joined the society as I didn't feel worthy!) were such wonderfully bubbly, happy, extremely nice, warm and welcoming people, with a real enthusiasm for G&S (It was like they all came out of a G&S opera!) Just being in their presence does wonders for ones mood

Ok, let me work this out - my great grandmother on my mother's side is either Gilbert's daughter or grand-daughter - I forget which one!

I would certainly love to see another G&S opera. Perhaps I'll go with my mum sometime. Or if you ever need someone to go with, I'd be more than happy to fill that space!

ReputationRep:
    Where do you go to watch performances? I'd certainly like to do it again

At Cambridge there is a Glibert and Sullivan society. One thing I noticed was that all the members (some of whom I made friends with - I never fully joined the society as I didn't feel worthy!) were such wonderfully bubbly, happy, extremely nice, warm and welcoming people, with a real enthusiasm for G&S (It was like they all came out of a G&S opera!) Just being in their presence does wonders for ones mood

Ok, let me work this out - my great grandmother on my mother's side is either Gilbert's daughter or grand-daughter - I forget which one!

I would certainly love to see another G&S opera. Perhaps I'll go with my mum sometime. Or if you ever need someone to go with, I'd be more than happy to fill that space!
    Since I live in Manchester, I see all the performances at the Bridgewater Hall:

http://www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/

As far as I'm aware, they haven't performed any G & S at Manchester Opera House, at least during the time I've been interested, anyway!

I'm heading off to university next year possibly (or the year thereafter), and I hope they have a similar society as you described at Cambridge (Hey, I may even be going there yet!), as it sounds brilliant. I certainly fit the bill of those members, too!

Bloody hell! That's quite the ancestry you have there!

The last opera I saw was the Pirates of Penzance. It was amazing. I listen to a lot of G & S on my computer every other day, though it just doesn't compare. To anyone interested, I'd advise seeing some performances on Youtube, perhaps, to see if you like it!

I'd imagine London has quite a lot of performances going on.

ReputationRep:
    That is very impressive ancestry. Do you have any keepsakes or belongings of his?

Me and my dad used to go to the Gilbert and Sullivan festival every year in Buxton. It's a really good place to go- it lasts about 3 weeks and they have performances every matinee and night by companies from around the country. It's been a while since I've been, but I keep meaning to go back.
    My favourite operetta is either the mikado or princess Ida. What are yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckasaurus)
    That is very impressive ancestry. Do you have any keepsakes or belongings of his?

Me and my dad used to go to the Gilbert and Sullivan festival every year in Buxton. It's a really good place to go- it lasts about 3 weeks and they have performances every matinee and night by companies from around the country. It's been a while since I've been, but I keep meaning to go back.
    Definitely the original big-hits; The Mikado, H.M.S Pinafore and Pirates of Penzance. I had the opportunity to see The Sorcerer once, though had work to attend to. :mad:

I had no idea there was a festival! I'll have to check it out sometime, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    Since I live in Manchester, I see all the performances at the Bridgewater Hall:

http://www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/

As far as I'm aware, they haven't performed any G & S at Manchester Opera House, at least during the time I've been interested, anyway!

I'm heading off to university next year possibly (or the year thereafter), and I hope they have a similar society as you described at Cambridge (Hey, I may even be going there yet!), as it sounds brilliant. I certainly fit the bill of those members, too!

Bloody hell! That's quite the ancestry you have there!

The last opera I saw was the Pirates of Penzance. It was amazing. I listen to a lot of G & S on my computer every other day, though it just doesn't compare. To anyone interested, I'd advise seeing some performances on Youtube, perhaps, to see if you like it!

I'd imagine London has quite a lot of performances going on.

I really hope you get into Cambridge! You'd definitely have a very fun time with the G&S soc there, although I'm sure the ones at other unis are just as good Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckasaurus)

Alas, none that I'm aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few things up in the loft - but it's a jungle up there...

Also, the Gilberts are, on the whole, awful at staying in touch. With anyone really, but especially family! So I imagine my grandmother and grand uncle have most of the heirlooms at the moment.

Also, good luck with your GradMed application - I had a looksie on your profile, I hope you don't mind! I too am a philosophy graduate, and was at one point tempted to go for Grad Medicine. But I've since changed my mind - which is quite a common occurence... oh, why did I switch from maths!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest which production was it? If it was the student one at Cambridge Arts Theatre in 2009, I was on the crew for it.

I have been involved to some degree in a few G&S shows with the Cambridge society, always backstage, and it's always quite enjoyable. The most awesome thing about the Cambridge society is that they get a week's slot at the Minack Theatre in Cornwall every year (last year's show was The Gondoliers) - this basically means we take over bits of a local village for two weeks' preparation, then have a week doing a show at an absolutely wonderful venue (though possibly the only in the country where in the matinees the actors have to worry about being upstaged by a dolphin).

You're right, there are some people with quite an impressive level of dedication to it - I'm pretty sure quite a few of them can go to any sing-through and not need a copy of the lib or score as they know the words to pretty much all of the G&S operettas already. They still manage to be amazingly down to earth though - not like your normal thespy types. Shows like last year's Gondoliers attract a whole mix of people - serious choral types who don't normally go near the theatre, musical theatre types who don't normally do opera-type things, those scary people who are brilliant musicians but are actually studying maths, plus everybody behind the scenes attracted by the chance to pull together the most epic show possible (G&S shows don't exactly tend to be minimalist).

Though having said that, I can't admit to being the biggest fan of the operettas themselves - if I listen to one I find quite little music in there that doesn't sound very similar to the music of another one that I've listened to, and the same jokes are repeated in several different operettas! But the ones I've had some sort of involvement in (Iolanthe, Mikado, Gondoliers) I've quite enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Just out of interest which production was it? If it was the student one at Cambridge Arts Theatre in 2009, I was on the crew for it.

I have been involved to some degree in a few G&S shows with the Cambridge society, always backstage, and it's always quite enjoyable. The most awesome thing about the Cambridge society is that they get a week's slot at the Minack Theatre in Cornwall every year (last year's show was The Gondoliers) - this basically means we take over bits of a local village for two weeks' preparation, then have a week doing a show at an absolutely wonderful venue (though possibly the only in the country where in the matinees the actors have to worry about being upstaged by a dolphin).

You're right, there are some people with quite an impressive level of dedication to it - I'm pretty sure quite a few of them can go to any sing-through and not need a copy of the lib or score as they know the words to pretty much all of the G&S operettas already. They still manage to be amazingly down to earth though - not like your normal thespy types. Shows like last year's Gondoliers attract a whole mix of people - serious choral types who don't normally go near the theatre, musical theatre types who don't normally do opera-type things, those scary people who are brilliant musicians but are actually studying maths, plus everybody behind the scenes attracted by the chance to pull together the most epic show possible (G&S shows don't exactly tend to be minimalist).

Though having said that, I can't admit to being the biggest fan of the operettas themselves - if I listen to one I find quite little music in there that doesn't sound very similar to the music of another one that I've listened to, and the same jokes are repeated in several different operettas! But the ones I've had some sort of involvement in (Iolanthe, Mikado, Gondoliers) I've quite enjoyed.

Yes, that was the one! I really enjoyed it - great job!

I suppose you'd know Sarah Wynne and Laura Parrot then? The funny thing is I didn't meet them through G&S - they both studied Maths with me in 1st year! Although Sarah and I were later to switch to Music and Philosophy respectively...

Yes, I've heard good things/seen lovely sunny pictures of the G&S soc's time in Cornwall

ReputationRep:
    Hi! In my youtheatre, we did a few songs from "pirates" which is my favourite G&S show

I also know the Mikado, Princess Ida and Yeomen of the Guard.... been singing the odd song from them for a few years and they're amazing! I wish more people appreciated their revolutionary style :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nesselphie)
    Hi! In my youtheatre, we did a few songs from "pirates" which is my favourite G&S show

I also know the Mikado, Princess Ida and Yeomen of the Guard.... been singing the odd song from them for a few years and they're amazing! I wish more people appreciated their revolutionary style :yep:
    Excellent! I've had 'Behold the Lord High Executioner' in my head for months now, and it'll probably never go.

Good to know there are still fans out there!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.