Turn on thread page Beta

If someone asks you on the street "You wanna buy laptop?" watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do if someone asks you that?
    Reject without thinking about it twice
    81.08%
    Ask for more info (price) and buy it if its good
    16.22%
    Other (please state)
    2.70%

ReputationRep:
    I got asked this question on my way to work yesterday and rejected straight away.

I'd like to know what people would do. Would you ask them how much? Would you buy it if its a good price? Or would you reject it straight away like me?

Reason I rejected it: I got asked this before many times and the price they gave me was always too good to be true. I've heard of people buying iPhones for £80 and it comes out to be a dummy. Also I didn't have time to open and check it out whether its working and all, and just didn't want to get into this sort of deals on the street, which may not be legal either.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    depends on their race and appearance imho

ReputationRep:
    Their inability to properly construct questions would put me off.

ReputationRep:
    Only an idiot would buy a laptop off some crack addict off the street. They're virtually all stolen or broken laptops. ALWAYS reject

ReputationRep:
    You would run, run so very far away lol.

ReputationRep:
    This scam was going round a while back. The box is empty (or has rocks/bricks in it to add weight). The person doing the scam knows you will not check the box as you realistically wouldn't have time or wouldn't want to check it in the street. Seriously it sounds stupid, but people do fall for this kind of thing all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a bike from a shady fellow recently. Said no on instinct. Then thought I should have bought it and just tried to find who ever he nicked it off and give it back lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    This scam was going round a while back. The box is empty (or has rocks/bricks in it to add weight). The person doing the scam knows you will not check the box as you realistically wouldn't have time or wouldn't want to check it in the street. Seriously it sounds stupid, but people do fall for this kind of thing all the time.
    This. They also used to use water bottles around here or it was a dummy.

I would reject it unless I had been recently robbed and it was my item that they were trying to sell back to me, in that case, i would sit on them and call the police and all my friends that were nearby(just in case).

ReputationRep:
    I'd suspect that it was stolen, so if I bought it I'd be guilty of handling stolen goods, a criminal offence. Plus I already have a laptop

ReputationRep:
    I would buy it if I could check it was working first and it was well priced.

Probably nicked, but bona fide purchaser and all that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    This, except they have their own laptop out to further compound the belief that there's a laptop in there.

ReputationRep:
    I would ask more about it if everything seems legit and it's a decent price which I can afford then I will buy it.

ReputationRep:
    I would just reject straight away.. if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
    I don't get how some people would believe it was a legit offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I was offered a bike from a shady fellow recently. Said no on instinct. Then thought I should have bought it and just tried to find who ever he nicked it off and give it back lol.
    When I was younger my neighbor stole my bike and then tried to sell it back to me. Needless to say the police were called.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, can't be arsed with the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't, it's either stolen or a scam - otherwise they'd sell it on ebay or something and get more money from it.

On a related note, two guys with a big backpack once came up to me and my two friends and asked us if we wanted to buy weed from him, in the middle of a high street. Wierdest moment of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Well you've just shot yourself in the foot.
    Two words - plausible deniability

ReputationRep:
    i would stick him with the .38 and take EVERYTHING he has......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.