Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you need the extra help, then why not get it?? Ide have a tutor for maths if i could, my friend has one and she finds that it really helps her.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have tutoring. Although alot of that is to do with money, which we have little of so there is no way I would spend an extra £X on tutoring on stuff that I can get at school anyway. Its basically a question of asking, if you don't ask at school you won't get the help.... but then again, my secondary school teachers were lovely but hopeless and were only bothered about making sure we gained a C or above. I still did better than most at GCSE though.

Its the paying for the education part I don't like, I don't see why people should think hiring a tutor will get them an A when you can get an A without one purely by working hard, or a grade representational of your ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoto)
    students must feel they are greatly underachieving if they resort to tuition, no?
    Or else they are most conscientious?

If I could afford it, I'd have tuition.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had tutors before.. it depends - if your school teacher is useless, its soooo much help, sometimes you just need something explained slighty differently or prompted more to understans topics. Some tutors are crap and useless.. but some can be amazing.. i wouldnt have gotten a A at GCSE for eng+eng lit had i not gotten the extra help. It wasnt that she did the work for me, she helped me think more in my own way, the 1 on 1 teaching can be great
    Some people make it sound like the tutor gets the grade for you o.o... you still have to do the work, understanding and memorising.. the way people say it, maybe we shouldnt have teachers as they actually teach how they would learn etc.. just give everyone a book and tell them to learn it -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoto)
    I don't agree with tuition. I would never have it. In my opinion it's much more satisfying and beneficial to develop your own individualised work style as opposed to having someone else do the work for you
    Nobody's doing work for you, they're helping you to learn and understand

--------------

(Original post by beanie)
    Its the paying for the education part I don't like, I don't see why people should think hiring a tutor will get them an A when you can get an A without one purely by working hard, or a grade representational of your ability.
    Perhaps it differs from person to person. Maybe or maybe not will person X be able to get an A with or without a tutor - maybe it makes them feel better, maybe they become aware of techniques and different approaches that get them the A they would not have otherwise been able to get.

Capitalism - you want it, you buy it. Is it right? *shrug*
    You can pay for healthcare if you choose to.

ReputationRep:
    I hate when people go on about paying for education, it's just pathetic. It's nobody's business if you choose to have a tutor, you're not hurting anyone! If you need help with a subject, who is to say you're not allowed to get that help? And the person providing that help is entitled to money in return.

You don't have to be really struggling to need tutoring - if your class is slow or disruptive and you have a crap teacher you're not getting through the work, if you're finding something hard to grasp and you need it thoroughly explained, if your teacher doesn't have enough time to help you understand stuff. It's about supplementing and assisting your working, bloody hell a tutor doesn't do your work, they just help you, you can't expect someone to teach themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had a tutor last year for my Chemistry A level, I struggled and didn't do as well as I had hoped for in the end. I was perhaps too stubborn about things but I think it's quite arrogant of people to complete dismiss the idea of tutoring.

Tuition simply means that you have a better chance of fulfilling your potential. We live in an era of exam technique, I don't see the problem of getting some help to do achieve a better result than would otherwise be achieved. Just because someone's had tutoring it doesn't discredit their achievements.

Oh and exam results don't mean everything in life, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Ah Rass - Surely if your class is slow or disruptive the first thing to do is to talk to the school and get them to do something?

I agree with SKD180 that tutoring doesnt discredit your acheivements but I think that noone should NEED tutoring - in an ideal world the school should not employ crap teachers, or get them working so much that they havent got time to help you.

Ive found that most teachers are more than happy to help outside lesson times, as long as you ask - and most will respect you more if you have the balls to admit that you want help.

I dont completely dismiss tutoring, just think that we already have teachers paid to help us so why not put them to good use?

Gordon

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an A level student but I just wanted to say that I think tutoring's fine but I really wish that people would get tutoring in order to improve their knowledge of a subject and because they enjoy the subject, rather than to improve Cs to Bs, Bs to As etc.... although I realise that in an education system dominated by exams, people are going to want to learn things to pass exams, not necessarily for the extra knowledge. One of my friends had maths tutoring for year 9 SATs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GordonP)
    Ah Rass - Surely if your class is slow or disruptive the first thing to do is to talk to the school and get them to do something?
    ha... my school did literally nothing when we complained. Apparently the pace of the lesson reflected the ability of most of the pupils and it became our own fault that we were too clever for the work being set. There was also 'nothing' the school could do about disruptive pupils other than what was already being done (aka hardly anything) Bar making a seperate class for about 5 of us there wasn't really alot which could be done.

----------

(Original post by No Future)
    Capitalism - you want it, you buy it. Is it right? *shrug*
    You can pay for healthcare if you choose to.
    Thats fine if you have the money to pay for it. If, like most people, you don't then its a different story. Its a case of getting your needs addressed at school if you can, not just jumping to a tutor for help. Although then I guess tutoring does become a sort of valid option if your needs aren't met at school, but its not an option I'd choose to take. At GCSE I resorted to living in the public library and doing it all myself, which worked out ok for me and it forced me to grow up before my A level study.

And now I'm just contradicting myself....

ReputationRep:
    with my gcses, i found that most of the teachers were perfectly willing to stay after school and give us what could be considered tutoring for free, but if they hadnt been willing, i would have definately got tutoring. however, with college, im finding that most of the teachers are less willing to stay after 4:15 because they live far away/have a heavy workload, etc

ReputationRep:
    with my gcses most of the teachers were perfectly willing to stay after school
    Now I just go down the pub to sort it out with my teachers ... normally get a free drink too

ReputationRep:
    I had chemistry tutoring for my first attempt at AS and it was a huge help. I don;t think I would've got any marks at all had it not been for my tutor :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoto)
    I'd be interested to see inside the mind of someone who is considering tuition. I mean, I'm not excelling at school, but I'm not doing badly either and I'd never give tuition a second thought.
    Hmmm....you'd be interested in seeing inside my mind then would you? The same mind that got me 12A*s at GCSE and 5As at A level without tuition and that sensibly had a few sessions of tuition for my Further Maths AS when I was massively struggling with it and had got a D in my first module for it in the January of my AS year. Yes I had to do a hell of a lot of work on my own to get my head around the Further Maths, but the tuition meant some time in which I had the undivided attention of someone who knew a lot more about maths than me to fire questions at, get things explained over and over again in different ways until I understood them and not feel that they were in a rush (which my teacher would have been if I went to see her after school). No tutors don't do the work for you and no you won't get a grade that exceeds your level of understanding (well not in Maths anyway) but yes it can be a lot of use if you are prepared to put the hard graft in.

It worked for me anyway. I got an A in my Further Maths AS in the end

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't like a tutor. If I'm struggling with the work, I would talk about it with the teacher, as that's what they are there for, or stick it out. I prefer a bit of a challenge anyway. Shows I'm actually being tested.
    I never had any for GCSE and my grades were alright.
    Also on a similar(ish) topic, does anybody else find revision guides completely useless, or is that just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    Personally I wouldn't like a tutor. If I'm struggling with the work, I would talk about it with the teacher, as that's what they are there for, or stick it out. I prefer a bit of a challenge anyway. Shows I'm actually being tested.
    I never had any for GCSE and my grades were alright.
    Also on a similar(ish) topic, does anybody else find revision guides completely useless, or is that just me?
    I found revision guides really useful for GCSE science, French and history, although the maths ones weren't all that, but at A-level I don't like them at all. And great post, by the way

ReputationRep:
    There's some great revision guides for a-level biology, but they're not up to much with all the other subjects i've come across.

ReputationRep:
    I've read all the thread and it's interesting to see peoples' views and I'm probably going to get yelled at for what I'm about to say.

I am averaging a B+ in Maths ASlevel currently, but am considering finding a tutor for it. This is not because I think I'm crap. This is because I am currently putting in a LOT of work, and constantly asking my teacher for help, and I STILL don't understand to a level that makes me feel comfortable. However much I work I never feel that *click* where things suddenly make sense. I would like that because it is all currently making me very nervous and scared, not because I'm predicted an A/B rather than a firm A but because, for myself, I would like to have a stronger understanding of the subject, for my own personal gain and enjoyment. I dont care what I get in the exams as long as it's a C or above, but I do care about my own understanding of maths. I chose to do maths particularly because it's a subject I DON'T find easy and don't naturally pick up.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.