Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A little old but interesting to know nonetheless, especially when comparing each med schools results with their reputation

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...256178,00.html

ReputationRep:
    interesting. might be affected by how many choose to be GPs, though. if people from KCL all want to be surgeons then the people taking GP exams will be the least competitive in the class. if people from notts all get inspired to be GPs then they'll be the most competitive. having all the london unis at the bottom certainly doesn't line up with similar results from MRCP and FRCA exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    interesting. might be affected by how many choose to be GPs, though. if people from KCL all want to be surgeons then the people taking GP exams will be the least competitive in the class. if people from notts all get inspired to be GPs then they'll be the most competitive. having all the london unis at the bottom certainly doesn't line up with similar results from MRCP and FRCA exams.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactive Blob)
    A little old but interesting to know nonetheless, especially when comparing each med schools results with their reputation

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...256178,00.html
    Do you have the link for MRCP and FRCA exams.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    That table refers to graduates from 10 years ago. Hardly something to judge the medical schools by today. Though I'm so keeping a copy, cos it shows Aberdeen far higher up the table than when you look at MRCP pass rates :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    That table refers to graduates from 10 years ago. Hardly something to judge the medical schools by today. Though I'm so keeping a copy, cos it shows Aberdeen far higher up the table than when you look at MRCP pass rates :tongue:
    can you post the link for MRCP pass rates.

ReputationRep:
    The other study showing exam results showed that London, Dundee, Aberdeen, Belfast, Southampton are below average. So tbh I don't really think it matters because they all seem to contradict themselves. Plus these studies are 10 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medtobe)
    can you post the link for MRCP pass rates.
    I don't know it off by heart. Search the forum for it and you'll probably find it - it's been mentioned enough times in the past few years!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2265293/ MRCP
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6920/9/38 FRCA

ReputationRep:
    Don't deny it. Some guys got a little smirk on their faces when they read that Guys were out performing girls in the second paper. WIN

ReputationRep:
    go notts!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to see how the new med schools would compare.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...1-7015-6-5.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    Thing is you only sit the exam if you choose to. If you really want to be a surgeon you'll never sit the exam. The only people who sit these exams are people who want to qualify in that speciality. It seems you theory would only work if you became a GP because you weren't competitive enough to get in to another speciality. This isn't really the case anymore. I have pals this year who got in to CMT but were rejected from GP. Plus, as others have said this was 10 years ago and a lot has changed, particularly with application to and ongoing GP training.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am really interested by these comparisons of MRCx exam pass rates for different graduates - they need to do a more up-to-date study to see how things have changed since ~2006.

ReputationRep:
    Uhh, only a prefresher monkey would give a hoot about league tables or reputation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Uhh, only a prefresher monkey would give a hoot about league tables or reputation.
    These tables are neither!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    These tables are neither!
    I was referring to the thread title.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by digitalis)
    I was referring to the thread title.
    Oh. I thought the title was sarcastic... (i.e. anything is better than league tables.) :p:

ReputationRep:
    Would be intrigued to know how this varies for MRCS/FRCS too if anyone knows where to find it. I'm determined it will be better for KCL than the MRCGP fail rates

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.