Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this programme is inspirational? Or do you think it puts applicants off applying to Medicine?!! In my opinion Medicine is a career path one has wanted to do for a long time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomnia)
    Do you think this programme is inspirational? Or do you think it puts applicants off applying to Medicine?!! In my opinion Medicine is a career path one has wanted to do for a long time
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    One has :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Very inspirational :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    Very inspirational :lolwut:
    :lol:

Seriously though, they're not. Not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    :lol:

Seriously though, they're not. Not really.
    You referring to the actual junior doctors on the programmme, right? They just seem like normal people, not inspirational. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    You referring to the actual junior doctors on the programmme, right? They just seem like normal people, not inspirational. :holmes:
    Yes. They are very normal. I bet they never had to worry about money, or whether the childminder could hold your kid for an extra hour so that you could finish an essay.

ReputationRep:
    Seems more informative than inspirational. I would argue a big point of the show is that doctors aren't on pedestals but are much like anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I think it kinda shows what the job is really like, because I think many people apply for medicine with rose coloured specs thinking its all great money and blah, but tbh after seeing that program, I'm glad i didn't apply in the end because it's a lot of hard work. And all I can do is support my boyfriend through it!

Oh and I don't think it's inspirational. I found it quite funny how the more arrogant guy was moaning and stuff and then when he actually got to do something he cocked it up. I mean yeah, everyone makes mistakes but he shouldn't have been making himself out to be some amazing doctor when he actually hadn't had much experience of the job at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They are very normal. I bet they never had to worry about money, or whether the childminder could hold your kid for an extra hour so that you could finish an essay.
    The childminder bit is probably true, but I wouldn't be so judgemental about the money thing. Don't forget that the BBC is paying for their nice house, and while some of them have a flash car etc, it doesn't mean that they were rolling in it right through med school. Plenty of med students have a lot of financial difficulties, especially with NHS bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The childminder bit is probably true, but I wouldn't be so judgemental about the money thing. Don't forget that the BBC is paying for their nice house, and while some of them have a flash car etc, it doesn't mean that they were rolling in it right through med school. Plenty of med students have a lot of financial difficulties, especially with NHS bursaries.
    I'm not saying all med students have money-worry-free lives, but this particular group do seem to come from fairly well off backgrounds. They're not exactly from your friendly local council estate are they? There's a distinct difference between "I've only got £30 for the rest of the week because I went out boozing last night, but Mum should be able to tap me some money" and "I can't cope working and studying at the same time anymore, but can't afford not to."

ReputationRep:
    I loved the show, it made me even more excited about studying medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying all med students have money-worry-free lives, but this particular group do seem to come from fairly well off backgrounds. They're not exactly from your friendly local council estate are they? There's a distinct difference between "I've only got £30 for the rest of the week because I went out boozing last night, but Mum should be able to tap me some money" and "I can't cope working and studying at the same time anymore, but can't afford not to."
    They're all employed and living in a free house now though, so you can't really judge what university might have been like. I know we've seen a couple of them have well-off parents, but I wouldn't make too many assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    They're all employed and living in a free house now though, so you can't really judge what university might have been like. I know we've seen a couple of them have well-off parents, but I wouldn't make too many assumptions.
    A couple? The only one I would say would have had money worries at Uni is John - he was the first boy in his family to go to Uni, and his mum's a nurse and his dad's a salesman. However, Andy went to boarding school, Adam comes from a family of doctors and, from what we've seen of the others and their homes and lives, they were never exactly struggling for cash were they?

I'm not making too many assumptions I think if I deduce that most of them are comfortably middle-class.

ReputationRep:
    A couple? The only one I would say would have had money worries at Uni is John - he was the first boy in his family to go to Uni, and his mum's a nurse and his dad's a salesman. However, Andy went to boarding school, Adam comes from a family of doctors and, from what we've seen of the others and their homes and lives, they were never exactly struggling for cash were they?

I'm not making too many assumptions I think if I deduce that most of them are comfortably middle-class.
    Quite possibly, but I don't like making too many assumptions based on the (clearly quite biased) editing of that show. And even if they are, it doesn't mean that all medical students are, so I start to get annoyed if people try to play the class/money card.

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, but I don't like making too many assumptions based on the (clearly quite biased) editing of that show. And even if they are, it doesn't mean that all medical students are, so I start to get annoyed if people try to play the class/money card.

I never said all medical students were, nor was that the point of my argument I'm saying that this particular group of medical students/doctors are perhaps not representative of the majority, nor perhaps as inspirational (aspirational?) as they could be.

The previous series on doctors on the BBC in the early nineties (impossible to find and watch, but there is an accompanying book for the series which is just a little bit great) did not shirk from issues of racism, sexism, family circumstance and class. Whilst this series is quite fun and I am enjoying it, it is still very lighthearted in nature and does not seek to dissect any of the issues which affect people in general, not just doctors.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would be doing well with £1.5K take home pay and no rent...How much can you spend on food? Extrapolating that to - they're all uber well off is a non sequitor argument. If you had people filming in your house, you'd make it look nice too. The filming just looked at the good times - there will be times when the place is less presentable. Considering they got through years of medival school in your standard student dig, I'd say they deserve to live somewhere nicer, they're earning their own keep you know. Just because someone went to boarding school dosn't make them rich - a large proportion of boarders are army kids, the army pays for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I think most people would be doing well with £1.5K take home pay and no rent...How much can you spend on food? Extrapolating that to - they're all uber well off is a non sequitor argument. If you had people filming in your house, you'd make it look nice too. The filming just looked at the good times - there will be times when the place is less presentable. Considering they got through years of medival school in your standard student dig, I'd say they deserve to live somewhere nicer, they're earning their own keep you know. Just because someone went to boarding school dosn't make them rich - a large proportion of boarders are army kids, the army pays for that.
    Did you even read my argument or see the point in what I was saying?

You and your non-sequitors can jog on, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even read my argument or see the point in what I was saying?

You and your non-sequitors can jog on, mate.
    Yes, and I've explained why they might seem to be doing disproportionatly well. If you can't read an argumentr, why bother responding?

ReputationRep:
    That's because its on BBC3, if it was on BBC2 they probably would explore how gender race and social class impact on the doctors.

I tick lots of diversity boxes when it comes to stuff like that but you couldn't pay me to expose myself like that, even if it would make good telly. Not sure how showing my estate would make good telly though, the gossip isn't as good as it was since i've left

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 30, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.