Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentistry1)
    Your story is probably more inspirational than any of the junior doctors
    ****s sake. You do a medical degree and get back to me. Anyone passing this ****ty, isolating degree is inspirational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    ****s sake. You do a medical degree and get back to me. Anyone passing this ****ty, isolating degree is inspirational.
    Eh, I've done one....so now I'm getting back to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentistry1)
    Eh, I've done one....so now I'm getting back to you
    So doc, tell me, what is more inspirational about her story than the doctors shown in the programme?

ReputationRep:
    I was stating that her post sounded good and neutral until she started putting in opinion.

And as to your point, it's a damn sight easier than many other parts of the world with less mobile social classes, believe me.
    it wasnt much of an opinion really, just what i see as the general trend... and i'm pretty confident that what i said was true and doesnt weaken the other points i was making

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabySquid)
    Lots of arguments going on here about middle class students, and "having it easy" etc. I am a penultimate year medical student, having come back to studying as a mature student due to personal circumstances. Yes, there are a lot of middle class students in my year, however there are a small handful of students who do not have it that easy. I am one of them. I am an independent student, and I do not have rich parents. Yes, I grew up on a council estate, but through hard work (several years of working in the City), I have now brought my own flat.

I wanted to study medicine to enable myself to have a fulfilling job, providing a vital service to the public... so, having calculated the amount of debt I would end up with, I decided to enrol into Med School anyway. I have had to borrow a lot of money. However, in order to reduce my debts, as well as paying my mortgage and improving my cash flow I have funded myself by running my own business, which employs two members of staff full time.

Having watched some of the episodes of Junior Doctors, I am not sure if I am inspired, but rather, I am getting a real taste for the work that I have committed myself to, and I simply cannot wait!!!

My personal obstacles are my own, and I do not expect anyone to pay for them, or to give me any credit for overcoming them. Regardless of where I come from, when I become a doctor, all I want, is to be a good one!... And I think that applies to ALL the doctors who qualify today.
    Well played man.

Managing to run a business while studying medicine or any degree for that matter deserves props.

ReputationRep:
    Come to Barts for the day. This social class bs is long finished (pls re: recent Independaant article on % who consider themselves middle class)
    It is reassuring to know that your anecdote and impossible invitation indicates both class equality as being achieved and an extremely counter-intuitive notion when university fees are set to exceed maximum tuition fees loans. I have reconsidered, you were right to chastise the original poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davey jones)
    It is reassuring to know that your anecdote and impossible invitation indicates both class equality as being achieved and an extremely counter-intuitive notion when university fees are set to exceed maximum tuition fees loans. I have reconsidered, you were right to chastise the original poster.
    Good good, I'll see you at Ascot then old boy.

ReputationRep:
    So doc, tell me, what is more inspirational about her story than the doctors shown in the programme?
    She overcame what seems, at least superficially, like more hardship than the people on junior doctors.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.