Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody here taken A levels over a three year period (AS levels over 2 years, A2s over 1 year) and gotten into a medical school?!

ReputationRep:
    Very few will have. Most medical schools will tell you that they won't consider anyone who took more than 2 years to complete their A Levels unless there are extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As Becca-Sarah said, it's very unlikely. Have a look at the applicant profiles, but I doubt you'd find that many. Nearly no medical schools allow A-Levels sat over 3 years unless you have significant extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if I qualify for this, but I technically did 2 years of AS.

Basically, I had always planned to do Medicine, but my health was poor from the start of Year 11 till the end of Year 12, so when I started Y12 originally, I picked less Sciencey subjects in the hopes of getting into Foundation Medicine. When my poor health persisted but steadily recovered toward the end of Year 12, I decided it made more sense to do the Sciences and Maths to get a thorough understanding and education before embarking on Medicine. So I did 4ASs in Year 13 and 4A2s.

I don't recommend it. If you have extenuating circumstances, it's actually better to use them rather than try and prove that you can do it even in poor health. I'm on an imposed gap year at the moment[Although, luckily, I got in for Medicine this year], whereas if I had say, done the GCSEs properly by doing them again [which would be fine under the circumstances] I would have been fine, there would have been less stress on my health and I probably would have done better overall. (I got A's but an A* would have been nice).

The system is designed to take into account people who have extenuating circumstances. If that applies to you, use it. Don't make the same mistake I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    I dunno if I qualify for this, but I technically did 2 years of AS.

Basically, I had always planned to do Medicine, but my health was poor from the start of Year 11 till the end of Year 12, so when I started Y12 originally, I picked less Sciencey subjects in the hopes of getting into Foundation Medicine. When my poor health persisted but steadily recovered toward the end of Year 12, I decided it made more sense to do the Sciences and Maths to get a thorough understanding and education before embarking on Medicine. So I did 4ASs in Year 13 and 4A2s.

I don't recommend it. If you have extenuating circumstances, it's actually better to use them rather than try and prove that you can do it even in poor health. I'm on an imposed gap year at the moment[Although, luckily, I got in for Medicine this year], whereas if I had say, done the GCSEs properly by doing them again [which would be fine under the circumstances] I would have been fine, there would have been less stress on my health and I probably would have done better overall. (I got A's but an A* would have been nice).

The system is designed to take into account people who have extenuating circumstances. If that applies to you, use it. Don't make the same mistake I did.
    Does depression over family bereavment count as exenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Very few will have. Most medical schools will tell you that they won't consider anyone who took more than 2 years to complete their A Levels unless there are extenuating circumstances.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cakefreak)
    Yes, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am on my third year of A Levels.

Got an offer last year but ended up with AAB so didn't get AAA that they wanted. Reapplied this year and got one offer and waiting on Liverpool. I still don't have the grades that they asked for but it shows that you can get in a medical school by doing 3 years of A Levels. This year I could choose between Liverpool, UEA, Peninsula, BSMS, Southampton and Lancaster, so although choices are limited it's better than nothing

Best thing is to get the grades is 2 years though.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cakefreak)
    If you have documented evidence of it, ie from your GP, and your exam board were notified at the time, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    If you have documented evidence of it, ie from your GP, and your exam board were notified at the time, yes.
    Thanks, would proof that u received bereavment counselling around the time count even if the death occured earlier in the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyousure?)
    Hello I am on my third year of A Levels.

Got an offer last year but ended up with AAB so didn't get AAA that they wanted. Reapplied this year and got one offer and waiting on Liverpool. I still don't have the grades that they asked for but it shows that you can get in a medical school by doing 3 years of A Levels. This year I could choose between Liverpool, UEA, Peninsula, BSMS, Southampton and Lancaster, so although choices are limited it's better than nothing

Best thing is to get the grades is 2 years though.

Best of luck!
    did you get in then?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2016

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.