Turn on thread page Beta

What should i do? Thinking of getting a moped! watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys well as you know i failed my 3rd driving test on friday and its really getting to me now as im no longer working so funds are tight :s. Anyway the plan was to drive my grandads car which he left for me as he died last september but now i have been thinking. its a 1.8 2002 nissan primera 40k miles which i think will be a nightmare to try and insure for a 19yo due to engine size? i was going to use the car to get me to uni and back on a daily basis but since i still havnt passed my driving test its just wasting away on the driveway.

Anyway was speaking to a old m8 of mine from years back and he thinks i would be better of selling it and buying a moped to use for a few years to build a ncb which would help get my car insurance down? is this true? i would have passed my driving test by then and could get something small like a 1.1 or something which would be far easier to insure?

What do you guys think? i just want it to get about really get another local job and £149 is very cheap for insruance tbh too good to be true

thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    If you want to drive a moped, get one. Just remember that you're limited to a 50cc engine. So, you'll struggle to reach 35 miles an hour, and it'll sound like an angry bee in a can.

ReputationRep:
    really i thought because i was over 17 i could have a 125cc?

ReputationRep:
    mopeds are for homosexuals

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a '125cc moped' - a moped is ANY two-wheeler with an engine capacity of less than 50cc.

You can ride any motorcycle or scooter up to 125cc with a provisional licence and a C.B.T. certificate, if you are 17 years of age or older.

just got that from a quick search so i think i ment scooter then 125cc im like 16 stone so i dont think a 50cc would go very fast tbh lol

ReputationRep:
    how are they homo? maybe not all of us have rich parents with plenty of cash like some of you ?

ReputationRep:
    With a provisional motorcycle license, you can ride any bike up to 125cc, as long as you have the CBT. There's a 2 year limit on that, and you have to wear L plates, and are banned from motorways etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Go for it. Best decision you'll ever make, I guarantee. The CBT is about £100, a second hand bike will be around £600-£1000, insurance will be around £300-£400 and your kit will be as good as the money you're willing to invest in it all; please buy a DECENT helmet (£40 may sound appetising but you are paying to look after your head. Your brain is there for a reason, don't risk damaging it by skimping on its protection ), gloves and jacket (with CE approved armour in the shoulder, elbows and back).

It's easier to use, far more enjoyable and a damn sight more economical in the long run. Yes, it rains and it gets cold but that's what waterproofs and thermals are for. You say that you're also 19? This means you can ride a 125 straight away. You're restricted to a 50cc at the age of 16 for one year......or if you have a current UK car licence (if your test was before 2001, you weren't required by law to complete a CBT course) but I digress. Look at a Honda CG125 or a Yamaha YBR125; they won't set speed records or fastest track times around Silverstone but will guarantee bulletproof reliability and ridiculously high MPG. Muy bueno :borat:

I did create a thread exactly for this kind of thing but no worries. Have a look at the first post on the New Motorcycle Society Thread. It'll have all the information you'll need to get yourself on the road. If you've got any questions, just post and we'll do our best to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LandyJon)
    Yes. Go for it. Best decision you'll ever make, I guarantee. The CBT is about £100, a second hand 125cc bike will be around £600-£1000, insurance will be around £300-£400 and your kit will be as good as the money you're willing to invest in it all; please buy a DECENT helmet (£40 may sound appetising but you are paying to look after your head. Your brain is there for a reason, don't risk damaging it by skimping on its protection ), gloves and jacket (with CE approved armour in the shoulder, elbows and back).

It's easier to use, far more enjoyable and a damn sight more economical in the long run. Yes, it rains and it gets cold but that's what waterproofs and thermals are for.

I did create a thread exactly for this kind of thing but no worries. Have a look at the first post on the New Motorcycle Society Thread. It'll have all the information you'll need to get yourself on the road. If you've got any questions, just post and we'll do our best to help you.
    thanks mate great advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoNerd)
    Nope. If you're driving a moped on the CBT and not a motorcycle license, you're limited to a 50cc engine, and the speed is limited to 32mph.

You need to pass the motorcycle test to drive anything with a larger engine (and if you can do that, why not the car test?)
    No,17 is a 125cc bike no more than 14.6bhp with L plates, he can't take pillions or go on the motorway.

OP, do your cbt, it'll last 2 years, but remember not every car insurance company takes bike no claims, many consider them differently to the car.

most of the info is in here the only thing i didn't add in is brands of sub 125cc bikes as i don't know enough about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskyRix)
    how are they homo? maybe not all of us have rich parents with plenty of cash like some of you ?
    TBH you can pick up cars for about 400 quid that will reach 100mph and you won't look gay

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn';t have thought a mid sized saloon too expensive to insure for a NQD.

Get on and take your test. If you can't pass a car test which is mostly marked down on observation errors the last thing you want to do is get on a bike where not observing the road propperly is the difference between making it home for supper and ending up in the hospital.

I know all the bikers imediately shout "yeah get a bike" but if you take a step back from your situation and have a think for a moment, getting an inherantly less safe method of transport when you can't master a car isn't the smartest move IMHO.

p.s it took me 6 years of driving to get to the stage where I thought having a bike might be worth looking at - I'm at the buying clothing stage and have been for around 4 months now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I wouldn';t have thought a mid sized saloon too expensive to insure for a NQD.

Get on and take your test. If you can't pass a car test which is mostly marked down on observation errors the last thing you want to do is get on a bike where not observing the road propperly is the difference between making it home for supper and ending up in the hospital.

I know all the bikers imediately shout "yeah get a bike" but if you take a step back from your situation and have a think for a moment, getting an inherantly less safe method of transport when you can't master a car isn't the smartest move IMHO.

p.s it took me 6 years of driving to get to the stage where I thought having a bike might be worth looking at - I'm at the buying clothing stage and have been for around 4 months now.
    yeh i already booked my 4th test so will stick to driving a car i think

thanks again

Ricky

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.