Turn on thread page Beta

For those wondering what really happened. watch

ReputationRep:
    As someone who was kettled in Trafalgar square. This is what really happened at the protest. On the 26/03/2011

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/la...e-police-young

This is the most accurate and unbiased report I have seen so far. (as someone who was there)

ReputationRep:
    So lets see if I get this straight.

The Police attempt to arrest one man and the rest fight back to prevent it and it resulted in the whole affair? Well if thats the case it changes nothing, you can't try and pull someone away while they are in the process of being arrested rightly or not. Not to mention the fact a day before groups said they wanted to occupy Trafalgar Square.

This isn't unbiased, there is no such thing as unbiased news. One arrest didn't start this, the mob who went around wrecking parts of London detracting from the peaceful protest elsewhere started this. Don't try to justify it.

ReputationRep:
    I read the article earlier, a fantastic piece.

No doubt people who get all their news from the BBC will, without irony, try and paint this talented and honest writer as a biased anarchist loonie who can't be trusted. But ultimately, their ignorance is their loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    So lets see if I get this straight.

The Police attempt to arrest one man and the rest fight back to prevent it and it resulted in the whole affair? Well if thats the case it changes nothing, you can't try and pull someone away while they are in the process of being arrested rightly or not. Not to mention the fact a day before groups said they wanted to occupy Trafalgar Square.

This isn't unbiased, there is no such thing as unbiased news. One arrest didn't start this, the mob who went around wrecking parts of London detracting from the peaceful protest elsewhere started this. Don't try to justify it.
    I personally did not try and help the guy who they was trying to arrest. But if your friend was getting arrested, would you not try and pull them away from the riot police?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    I personally did not try and help the guy who they was trying to arrest. But if your friend was getting arrested, would you not try and pull them away from the riot police?
    No...for all I know he has done nothing and will walk away. If I were to attempt to pull him away I'd be committing a crime that will get me arrested for what is very well a no cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    No...for all I know he has done nothing and will walk away. If I were to attempt to pull him away I'd be committing a crime that will get me arrested for what is very well a no cause.
    So the journalists in Libya who tried to stop that woman from being arrested, should they be in prison tonight?

ReputationRep:
    Unbiased? FFS, that article was written by Laurie Penny who also writes for the Guardian as well. You can guess what her politics are, can't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    So the journalists in Libya who tried to stop that woman from being arrested, should they be in prison tonight?
    Are you trying to compare a few job cuts to mass-slaughtering of ones own people? Get real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heinz the German)
    Unbiased? FFS, that article was written by Laurie Penny who also writes for the Guardian as well. You can guess what her politics are, can't you?
    It was unbiased because it was exactly how it went down. She did not take any sides the article is exactly how it happened.

ReputationRep:
    Should of gassed the ****ing lot of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expendable)
    Are you trying to compare a few job cuts to mass-slaughtering of ones own people? Get real.
    I'm talking about police snatch squads.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know either of these stories (the individual arrest in Libya) very well...but I'm guessing what happened in Libya is a little more extreme than in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I don't know either of these stories (the individual arrest in Libya) very well...but I'm guessing what happened in Libya is a little more extreme than in London.
    That's irrelevant.

Both cases involved police snatch squads with the witnesses not knowing what the suspect was accused of and then the witnesses subsequently trying to prevent the arrest of the suspect.

ReputationRep:
    So they attempted to arrest a suspected criminal and everyone mobbed them? Silly police.

ReputationRep:
    That's irrelevant.

Both cases involved police snatch squads with the witnesses not knowing what the suspect was accused of and then the witnesses subsequently trying to prevent the arrest of the suspect.
    wait, so for all they knew he could of been a serial killer and they tried to stop his arrest?

ReputationRep:
    It was unbiased because it was exactly how it went down. She did not take any sides the article is exactly how it happened.
    I wasn't by her side, so I do not know what she saw - and I'm guessing that you don't either. So all I have to go on is this: She writes for the New Statesman and the Guardian, so her views are going to be coloured by her politics. You can't help innate bias, and hers will be to side with the protesters (or rioters, as the case may be)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heinz the German)
    I wasn't by her side, so I do not know what she saw - and I'm guessing that you don't either. So all I have to go on is this: She writes for the New Statesman and the Guardian, so her views are going to be coloured by her politics. You can't help innate bias, and hers will be to side with the protesters (or rioters, as the case may be)
    My point is, I pretty much was beside her I saw the exact same things she did.

ReputationRep:
    That's irrelevant.

It is irrelevant. In Libya there is a war going on. Police snatch squads over there are likely to beat or kill you. In the UK you have the right to a fair trial and police brutality is illegal. We have one of the best criminal justice systems in the world.
    There is no excuse for resisting arrest or aiding the resisting of arrest. The police are legally allowed to use force if you do resist arrest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxr808)
    So they attempted to arrest a suspected criminal and everyone mobbed them? Silly police.
    I'm sure the police had no idea that to carry out the arrest there and then could create a violent confrontation, there just happened to be scores of riot police hiding in the background, just a lucky coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most accurate and unbiased report I have seen so far. (as someone who was there)
    How is this article in unbiased? She is clearly left-wing and anti-Tory.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.