Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For those wondering what really happened. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    and police brutality is illegal.
    Because of course, that simple fact stops it from happening :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Everybody is biased in some way; especially with politics and things like this... at least Laurie Penny is honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxr808)
    No. If the majority of protesters there weren't violent, then they would have stayed out of the polices way. Let the police do their jobs rather than fighting them then complaining when things escalate.
    They weren't violent. They sat around playing guitars and talking for God's sake!! If we just let this government do what it wants, how it wants, then we're all screwed. Tax breaks for bankers after f*cking up the economy? Where's the logic in that? But what the hell, they're in control- tax the lower classes, keep private education for rich kids and abandon the NHS... what could possibly go wrong???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    There is no excuse for resisting arrest or aiding the resisting of arrest. The police are legally allowed to use force if you do resist arrest.
    No, that's wrong. One of the greatest remnants of the common law that hasn't been completely eroded by the appalling amount of statutory power conferred on the police today, is the right to resist arrest when you genuinely and reasonably believe the arrest to be unlawful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Don't be so naive.

Instead of doing their job and carrying out necessary arrests in the safest and most sensible way possible they deliberately went into a crowded area to arrest one individual who posed no immediate threat to anyone and was most likely accused of smashing a window in or something equally trivial.

The riot police were bored and wanted some action before they went home, and you know it.
    Yeah, they could have left him, then when he inevitably escaped another journalist (or possibly the same one) could have written an article about how the police let a wanted criminal wander around in a huge crowd of people, and then go on to point out how inept the police force is. I know that the police force isn't perfect, but it seems like they get criticized for absolutely everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dracoia)
    They weren't violent. They sat around playing guitars and talking for God's sake!! If we just let this government do what it wants, how it wants, then we're all screwed. Tax breaks for bankers after f*cking up the economy? Where's the logic in that? But what the hell, they're in control- tax the lower classes, keep private education for rich kids and abandon the NHS... what could possibly go wrong???
    Yet if the government put higher taxes on the banks, they would relocate to better financial locations like Hong Kong and the UK would lose billions in tax money. It's a lose-lose situation. You have to stay competitive to keep business within the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Yeah, they could have left him, then when he inevitably escaped another journalist (or possibly the same one) could have written an article about how the police let a wanted criminal wander around in a huge crowd of people, and then go on to point out how inept the police force is. I know that the police force isn't perfect, but it seems like they get criticized for absolutely everything.
    Totally agree with your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxr808)
    Yet if the government put higher taxes on the banks, they would relocate to better financial locations like Hong Kong and the UK would lose billions in tax money. It's a lose-lose situation. You have to stay competitive to keep business within the country.
    Which is the problem with capitalism... and ok I admit there are no other systems that seem to work. I just think they need not be biased toward the better off

ReputationRep:
    Wanted criminal? Let's get some perspective here, he smashed a window that's all. The police wanted to teach the protesters a lesson, whether you agree with that or not, it's pretty hard to deny that that's what happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    I personally did not try and help the guy who they was trying to arrest. But if your friend was getting arrested, would you not try and pull them away from the riot police?
    Only an IDIOT would hold his friend whilst police try to arrest him.

ReputationRep:
    Leading with 'pop culture and radical politics with a feminist twist' is likely to devalue your opinion faster than shares in HMV.

We're into that phase of 'we did nuffing wrong at the protests guv.' Boo, you're cutting police funding. Boo, we don't like the police. I'm sure there's many a conflict of interest going on in these protests and you'd think that the unions would do better if they formed some sort of coherent unit. But it's left to different organisations (including the political wing of the Unite union - the Labour Party) to flail around complaining about different things to different degrees.

ReputationRep:
    If someone randomly walked down the street and smashed a window, wouldnt you think he was worthy of being arrested?
    This type of behaviour isnt redeemable just because it happened within a protest.

ReputationRep:
    Wanted criminal? Let's get some perspective here, he smashed a window that's all. The police wanted to teach the protesters a lesson, whether you agree with that or not, it's pretty hard to deny that that's what happened.

(Original post by Belle_)
    If someone randomly walked down the street and smashed a window, wouldnt you think he was worthy of being arrested?
    This type of behaviour isnt redeemable just because it happened within a protest.
    Thanks Belle, that was pretty much exactly I was going to say!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Belle, that was pretty much exactly I was going to say!
    It's not the police's job to protect topshop, Sir Philip Green is the real criminal for crimes against the British people.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the police's job to protect topshop, Sir Philip Green is the real criminal for crimes against the British people.
    I am going to come around to your place and smash windows up with baseball bats, set your pet(s) on fire and then batter everything that is still standing with sticks. I am then going to claim it is not the police's job to protect your house, you are the real criminal for crimes against sane people.

ReputationRep:
    If it was a peaceful protest why were windows being smashed?

Also I'd just like to point out that wasn't an unbiased article as the writer clearly points out she's on the protesters side.

a girl with blue hair who squeezes my arm and then raises a union flag defiantly at the cops. "We are peaceful, what are you?" chant the protestors. I'm chanting it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dracoia)
    Tax breaks for bankers? If you mean corporation tax it applies to all enterprises and is to get them to locate back to the UK so they, you know, create jobs. Last I heard there was a new bank levy and banks were being set lending targets by the government. But hey, if the Guardian didn't report it it probably didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    As someone who was kettled in Trafalgar square. This is what really happened at the protest. On the 26/03/2011

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/la...e-police-young

This is the most accurate and unbiased report I have seen so far. (as someone who was there)
    I wasn't at the 26/03 protest, but did go to the one in November and saw the media distortion of the events then so I am very sceptical this time round when I read the news on the recent protest. Last time Laurie Penny in the New Statesman was one of the few, if only journalists giving an accurate report of what happened.

People negging you obviously weren't at the protest and are swallowing the biased reporting of the mainstream media hook line and sinker.

If you don't see an event firsthand, how can you trust what the news is telling you is what really happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heinz the German)
    Unbiased? FFS, that article was written by Laurie Penny who also writes for the Guardian as well. You can guess what her politics are, can't you?
    If you attend a protest and watch what happens and then read the media reports afterwards, Penny is one of the few who writes what really happened.

ReputationRep:
    I read the article earlier, a fantastic piece.

No doubt people who get all their news from the BBC will, without irony, try and paint this talented and honest writer as a biased anarchist loonie who can't be trusted. But ultimately, their ignorance is their loss.
    This.

One of the few honest reporters of the student protests last November too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.