Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Couple of friends are planning a trip to California - asking around for any advice, anyone here know what sort of things can be done there? What are the sights to be seen etc. any cool things to do ?

Also what's the typical process to visit the US, I've heard you need to do some sort of online check to obtain a VISA?

ReputationRep:
    Check with a travel agent or something as the USA can be quite anal with letting people in and go get some brochures about the place whilst you are there.
    Also I have only ever heard great things about California and a few people mentioning how it is almost the perfect lifestyle and everything so you should have a good holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Check with a travel agent or something as the USA can be quite anal with letting people in and go get some brochures about the place whilst you are there.
    Also I have only ever heard great things about California and a few people mentioning how it is almost the perfect lifestyle and everything so you should have a good holiday.
    Cool I hope so, thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you need to check the travel agent when it comes to visa. If you don't need a visa, then you're good to go!I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    OP, you need to check the travel agent when it comes to visa. If you don't need a visa, then you're good to go!I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time here.
    Cool, I'll make sure to do that - could you suggest any acitivites to do/sights to see

tyvm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    Cool, I'll make sure to do that - could you suggest any acitivites to do/sights to see

tyvm
    Lots of things actually. Especially here in California and if you come around summer time there will always be beaches. You can go to Disneyland, Universal Studios and places like that. San Francisco is pretty nice too, it's my favorite city here in Cali.

ReputationRep:
    You have to visit San Francisco, the wine country, San Diego, Yosemite and the other national parks. I hear a road trip up the 101 can be really fun too. There's not much to see in LA tbh, in fact everyone is kind of puzzled by the lack of glamour that you'd expect from a place like Hollywood. But the other places are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    When you order your tickets you will be sent a link about ESTA, essentially an electronic visa, it costs $14. San Francisco is great as is L.A. I'm actually in the USA right now. I couldn't visit Yosemite as it was closed due to fallen trees. Did a tour at Universal Studios - well worth it!

ReputationRep:
    As you haven't specified, I'm assuming you are a British citizen? In which case no you don't need to go to a travel agent and no they aren't fussy over who they let in.

The person posting above is correct - make sure you get it from the official US website, and not from a third party who will just be ripping you off. You can get it now if you want, it lasts for 2 years. (The fact they make you pay for it now is pretty annoying - most of the fee goes to the governments tourism agency to fund their international campaigns, so as a tourist you are effectively paying for America to attract more tourists!)

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend a car rental place in California for under 25s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    As you haven't specified, I'm assuming you are a British citizen? In which case no you don't need to go to a travel agent and no they aren't fussy over who they let in.

The person posting above is correct - make sure you get it from the official US website, and not from a third party who will just be ripping you off. You can get it now if you want, it lasts for 2 years. (The fact they make you pay for it now is pretty annoying - most of the fee goes to the governments tourism agency to fund their international campaigns, so as a tourist you are effectively paying for America to attract more tourists!)
    Yeah - Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Can anyone recommend a car rental place in California for under 25s?
    What do you mean 25s? Car rental here depends on how long you're going to rent it and by what type of car you want to use.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean 25s? Car rental here depends on how long you're going to rent it and by what type of car you want to use.
    Some car rental companies only accept 25 year olds and older. But there are quite a few now that let 21+ year olds hire too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =gabriel=)
    Some car rental companies only accept 25 year olds and older. But there are quite a few now that let 21+ year olds hire too.
    Oh, as long as you're over 21 yes you can. Try going on expedia.com, kayak.com or priceline.com. I'm pretty sure you'll get cheaper ones there too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as gabriel said, there is a massive surcharge for under 25 year olds so I wondered if there are any companies that don't charge extortionate amounts. It's annoying that I've been driving for 6 years without incident but a newly qualified 26 year old would get a better price

From what I've read it's pretty much pot luck on the day whether you get charged extra for being under 25 so I may just shop around when I arrive in San Francisco and see what comes up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as gabriel said, there is a massive surcharge for under 25 year olds so I wondered if there are any companies that don't charge extortionate amounts. It's annoying that I've been driving for 6 years without incident but a newly qualified 26 year old would get a better price

From what I've read it's pretty much pot luck on the day whether you get charged extra for being under 25 so I may just shop around when I arrive in San Francisco and see what comes up.
    could you suggest any things to do/places to see, tyvm

ReputationRep:

Not bad. But looking online first wouldn't hurt anyway. I didn't know that you have to be 25 and over to rent a car. I thought as long as you're over 21 everything will be all right. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    could you suggest any things to do/places to see, tyvm
    Still trying to work it out myself. If I get a car I'll be spending a while in San Francisco, then heading east towards Sacramento then onto Yosemite and towards Vegas. Few days in Vegas, then west to LA and possibly San Diego. Then north along the coastal road for a lesuirely drive along the scenic route to drop the car back at San Francisco.

Without a car I'll be on Greyhound buses for days on end :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Not bad. But looking online first wouldn't hurt anyway. I didn't know that you have to be 25 and over to rent a car. I thought as long as you're over 21 everything will be all right. My bad.
    Oh yeah, it is a 21 yr old limit I think but then they just whack on a massive extra charge for under 25 year olds. In some instances I've found car rental for about $20 a day and then the surcharge is $25+ a day

Enterprise are the best I've found as they only charge $15 a day surcharge on top of the rental price, there is one I found without a surcharge but the website is not exactly professional :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, it is a 21 yr old limit I think but then they just whack on a massive extra charge for under 25 year olds. In some instances I've found car rental for about $20 a day and then the surcharge is $25+ a day

Enterprise are the best I've found as they only charge $15 a day surcharge on top of the rental price, there is one I found without a surcharge but the website is not exactly professional :erm:
    Oh, now I get it. What type of car are you going to rent? I remember when we went to Las Vegas and the car we were about to rent were out of stock so we had to get a different type of car. Just letting you know, you should book it earlier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.