Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys; I will be working at Grant Thornton for a 12 month placement in August, before my 4th and final year of my degree.

Just starting to think about places to stay and transport

Just wondered whether people think I will need a car for audit? Apparently you are expected to make your own way to clients in the morning. I don't particularly want to rely on public transport all the time or cadging a lift every single day.

Plus there are considerations outside of work to look at; e.g. shopping is so much easier with a car; or going to see my girlfriend in Loughborough for the weekend or driving home to see my family.

So all of the above points to having a car. However even though I have a car to take; I would be expected to shoulder all the costs for the year; as currently I share the car with my Mum who keeps it at home all year whilst I am at Uni and I don't make any contribution to any costs; but I would be if I took it on placement. So maybe £1k for insurance alone (sub-question: makes a hell of a lot of difference if my occupation is student or trainee accountant!!). Petrol costs are also extremely high and as it is an old petrol car it isn't exactly economical.

What do you think? Any advice would be very much appreciated; especially from those who have worked in audit and been out at clients and know the practicalities of going there.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    Hi guys; I will be working at Grant Thornton for a 12 month placement in August, before my 4th and final year of my degree.

Just starting to think about places to stay and transport

Just wondered whether people think I will need a car for audit? Apparently you are expected to make your own way to clients in the morning. I don't particularly want to rely on public transport all the time or cadging a lift every single day.

Plus there are considerations outside of work to look at; e.g. shopping is so much easier with a car; or going to see my girlfriend in Loughborough for the weekend or driving home to see my family.

So all of the above points to having a car. However even though I have a car to take; I would be expected to shoulder all the costs for the year; as currently I share the car with my Mum who keeps it at home all year whilst I am at Uni and I don't make any contribution to any costs; but I would be if I took it on placement. So maybe £1k for insurance alone (sub-question: makes a hell of a lot of difference if my occupation is student or trainee accountant!!). Petrol costs are also extremely high and as it is an old petrol car it isn't exactly economical.

What do you think? Any advice would be very much appreciated; especially from those who have worked in audit and been out at clients and know the practicalities of going there.

Thanks in advance!
    I assume you are working at the Leicester GT. If it was London then you definitely wouldn't need a car. For regional offices though it might well come in handy. I have accepted a graduate job and have been told that a car isn't a requirement as you can get lifts with others/use public transport. However, i think i will get one because it is just so much easier to have your own car and not have to rely on others all the time.

I haven;t worked in audit yet but i know you will be spending almost all your time at premises of companies. It just depends if you want to rely on lifts and public transport for a year. Another point to remember is that the firm will pay for your travel expenses. I know that my firm pay 40p a mile (i think thats right) so you can claim that back. This will really help to cut down your transport costs.

I hope i have helped

ReputationRep:
    have you thought about a 125cc motorbike? you just need to do a day course and the insurance and fuel is dirt cheap

ReputationRep:
    Expenses dude.

Just claim all travel back, its standard in professional services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Expenses dude.

Just claim all travel back, its standard in professional services.
    So you think its worth having a car then overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchestergraduate)
    I assume you are working at the Leicester GT. If it was London then you definitely wouldn't need a car. For regional offices though it might well come in handy. I have accepted a graduate job and have been told that a car isn't a requirement as you can get lifts with others/use public transport. However, i think i will get one because it is just so much easier to have your own car and not have to rely on others all the time.

I haven;t worked in audit yet but i know you will be spending almost all your time at premises of companies. It just depends if you want to rely on lifts and public transport for a year. Another point to remember is that the firm will pay for your travel expenses. I know that my firm pay 40p a mile (i think thats right) so you can claim that back. This will really help to cut down your transport costs.

I hope i have helped
    Not at the Leicester GT no. Thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. Think on balance it would be better to have a car; especially as I want to get involved with interests outside of work such as badminton, football etc. Car would be brilliant for driving to practice!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.