Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude)
    Oh Ok LOL! Hmmm...then RGU it is!!!! Yep, its pretty expensive in Brighton (atleast a 1000+ pounds more than Aberdeen). My friend from Canada is studying there, but I don't think I can do that as I cant afford it.
    Hey, cooldude. :hi:

I am just curious about this. I do not plan on doing it, as I already got into pharmacy here, but how expensive is it to study pharmacy in Canada. And, is there only one pharmacy school in Canada and is it very competitive.

I know that medicine in america and places like Canada is very expensive and most people take out 200,000 dollar loans or around that from what I have heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)

I am just curious about this. I do not plan on doing it, as I already got into pharmacy here, but how expensive is it to study pharmacy in Canada. And, is there only one pharmacy school in Canada and is it very competitive.

I know that medicine in america and places like Canada is very expensive and most people take out 200,000 dollar loans or around that from what I have heard.
    I'm pretty sure there will be more than one Pharmacy School in Canada. . I think there aren't many pharmacy schools within each state in Canada, but saying that I'm sure there's a fair few schools within Canada itself!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    I'm pretty sure there will be more than one Pharmacy School in Canada. . I think there aren't many pharmacy schools within each state in Canada, but saying that I'm sure there's a fair few schools within Canada itself!
    Hello firestar101!

If you were to study Pharmacy in Canada being Scottish....Just forget it.....as you said it will easily cost $120,000 or more!!!!!!!...just the tuition!!! But if you do want to come to Canada....after Mpharm at RGU & do the PEBC stuff, it's pretty tough but....still possible..sounds like a plan.

EDIT: I just looked the fees up for you, its 17,500 GBP per year!!!!.......just tuition!

There are over 500 or more Intl. applicants for Pharmacy (@ each school) ..but only about 10 Intl. seats per school. Now you can imagine, how tough it is!!!!

Yep, as Daniel said, there are 10 schools in Canada....basically 1 for every province.... except the Northern provinces!!!!!! and the most populated provinces Ontario (my province/state) & Quebec have 2 schools. AKA 2 in Ontario & 2 in Quebec ....and only 6 for the rest of Canada.!!!!!!

THERE IS A REASON WHY I AM COMING TO SCOTLAND YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......

anyhow, did I answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    Hello firestar101!

If you were to study Pharmacy in Canada being Scottish....Just forget it.....as you said it will easily cost $120,000 or more!!!!!!!...just the tuition!!! But if you do want to come to Canada....after Mpharm at RGU & do the PEBC stuff, it's pretty tough but....still possible..sounds like a plan.

EDIT: I just looked the fees up for you, its 17,500 GBP per year!!!!.......just tuition!

There are over 500 or more Intl. applicants for Pharmacy (@ each school) ..but only about 10 Intl. seats per school. Now you can imagine, how tough it is!!!!

Yep, as Daniel said, there are 10 schools in Canada....basically 1 for every province.... except the Northern provinces!!!!!! and the most populated provinces Ontario (my province/state) & Quebec have 2 schools. AKA 2 in Ontario & 2 in Quebec ....and only 6 for the rest of Canada.!!!!!!

THERE IS A REASON WHY I AM COMING TO SCOTLAND YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......

anyhow, did I answer your question?
    Thanks. I was just curious about it, as I always wondered how expensive it was to study pharmacy or medicine in Canada. Now I know.

Our fees look really nice in comparison to yours. It is 1820 pounds for home students and for international applicants, usually 11,000 and above.

After the mpharm at RGU, I would like to come to Canada, but I will seriously have to research it as an option and see how realistic the option is. I might even consider america, new Zealand, and Australia.

Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I was just curious about it, as I always wondered how expensive it was to study pharmacy or medicine in Canada. Now I know.

Our fees look really nice in comparison to yours. It is 1820 pounds for home students and for international applicants, usually 11,000 and above.

After the mpharm at RGU, I would like to come to Canada, but I will seriously have to research it as an option and see how realistic the option is. I might even consider america, new Zealand, and Australia.

Thanks for your reply.
    Your welcome! But if want good $$$$$$ go to Canada or US! But, it's a real is a possibility for you, you can trust me on that!

ReputationRep:
    Hey CoolDude ! What part of Canada are you from ? I'm from Toronto.

I'm currently in my 1st year at Manchester in the MPharm program. I didn't apply to any of the schools you are choosing from so I can't give you any advice on that. Sorry !

However, if you have any general questions, then feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitral)

I'm currently in my 1st year at Manchester in the MPharm program. I didn't apply to any of the schools you are choosing from so I can't give you any advice on that. Sorry !

Hey Nitral! Thanks so much for your reply....I will surely bug you with the general questions! LOL! Too sleepy now...its 1 am now....will get back to you later.

PS.. I am from Toronto TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG! TSR is such a great place!!!!!! Love it!

ReputationRep:
    OMG! TSR is such a great place!!!!!! Love it!
    Likewise. I am glad that I found this forum. It has been such a great help to me, and has solved many problems of mine. Just wish I could have found this forum years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I did the 5 yearm MPharm course at Bradford 1997 - 2002.

It was a very thorough course, they help you/sort out for you to get your pre-reg placement ( I did my 1st at UCL hospital, London and my 2nd in Boots in Kent). For both I was paid £16000 per annum - a few years ago now!). Rent and living costs are very cheap compared to elsewhere - but of course that's because you'll be living in seriously less salubrious areas than elsewhere.

I absolutely don't regret going to Bradford. Knowing what I know now I don't think I'd do Pharmacy again but it's a reasonably paid job that's quite easy to fit around your life.

I've had to hire a fair few community pharmacists over the last 5 years and I can honestly say I take no real interest in where they studied (except for Medway which has an incredibly poor reputation) or what class of degree they left with. I'm sure this is different for hospital - but for community - the fact that you're qualified is as much as I need and I'm much more interested in personability etc.

University is what you make of it - don't be put off by so-called reputations of different schools. The only people that take any notice - or even know about them(!) are students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitral)

Hello Nitral! I have sent you a PM! please let me know if you have received it. It sucks that I cant view my sent messages on TSR! LOL! or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    Hello Nitral! I have sent you a PM! please let me know if you have received it. It sucks that I cant view my sent messages on TSR! LOL! or is it just me?
    Top of the page there will be 'Inbox'. Then there's a bit with something like 'jump to folders' and it'll have inbox. Change it to sent messages, and you're done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madharri)

It was a very thorough course, they help you/sort out for you to get your pre-reg placement ( I did my 1st at UCL hospital, London and my 2nd in Boots in Kent). For both I was paid £16000 per annum - a few years ago now!). Rent and living costs are very cheap compared to elsewhere - but of course that's because you'll be living in seriously less salubrious areas than elsewhere.

I have a question with your reply: You have stated " they help you/sort out for you ....";....So, did you have to apply for the pre-reg placements (like students in other universities) or just let them know of your preferences and....they get the placement for you? Also, were you required to have certain grades to get a placement/competitive placement?

In other words, it would be greatly helpful if you could elaborate more on how the 5yr. program differs with a traditional 4yr. program, specifically in terms of how the student gets the pre-reg placement.

I deeply appreciate your interest in replying to my thread and it's an absolute pleasure for me to get advice from people on the hiring end!

ReputationRep:
    Top of the page there will be 'Inbox'. Then there's a bit with something like 'jump to folders' and it'll have inbox. Change it to sent messages, and you're done.
    Oh RITE! thanks for the tip Daniel. I got it.

ReputationRep:
    Mpharm (5 year practice integrated) Programme at Bradford University...A YES OR NO?

The Uni of Bradford claims that it will provide the pre-reg placements itself, i.e. THE STUDENT DOES NOT NEED TO FIND TO ONE. This being the case, I still see that many people say Bradford is a bad UNI!!!!!!!!!! WHY ? WHY? Am I missing something here, is there a catch here?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!! I HAVE CHOOSE MY UNI's ASAP!

If NO, then what do I pick.....?

The UNI's that I have got into are (with fees per year, [I am an Intl student from Canada]):

1) RGU [Intl tution fees: 11,500 pounds]

2) Brighton [Intl tution fees: 11,580 pounds]

3) Aston [Intl tution fees: 14,700 pounds]...I KNOW ITS A GREAT SCHOOL, but I really don't think I can afford it! So its a NO for me

4) Bradford 5yr program w. pre-reg integrated [Intl tution fees: 11,400 pounds]

NOTE: I can only go to a school that costs 16,000 pounds per year [TUITION + RESIDENCE]...my max loan amount is 18,000 pounds...

THIS being my situation could you please tell me which UNI I should go to?

God bless you!..... to all those who help me! Really stressed out here!!!! :confused:

Bradford is a GOOD UNI.. LOVELY PEOPLE AND PHARMACY IS A WONDERFUL COURSE

I am going there providing i get BBB, and i think u shuld defo choose it.. brighton is full of gays and is boring.....
    scotland is BORING... DONT GO THERE

BRADFDORD IS THE ONLY UNI, THAT DOES PRE-REG IN UK FOR PHARMACY.. THAT SHOULD SAY SUMFING !

PICK BRADFORDDDDDDDDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amushan1234)

I am going there providing i get BBB, and i think u shuld defo choose it.. brighton is full of gays and is boring.....

BRADFDORD IS THE ONLY UNI, THAT DOES PRE-REG IN UK FOR PHARMACY.. THAT SHOULD SAY SUMFING !

PICK BRADFORDDDDDDDDD
    There are far too many Asian people in Bradford. They call it Bradistan for a reason. As an Asian myself, I would really hate living there. I prefer a more mixed environment.

Also, I would say that Bradford is far more boring than Scotland. Scotland has such amazing scenery and there are loads of things to do.

ReputationRep:
    LOL ! HOW CAN YOU HATE YOUR OWN RACE ENVIROMENT ?

Andd well it up to youu, but u will get more MONEY, once u finished living in england that SCOTLAND :/

And you can do a pre reg year with no hassle,... but its all down to youu..

ReputationRep:

PICK BRADFORDDDDDDDDD

In what way ^is Scotland more boring than England?
    Bradford having a pre-reg... So? How should that "say sumfing"? What does it say?
    And ^is it scientific fact that Brighton ^is full of gays and ^is boring?

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Perhaps you should Expand/justify your reasoning instead of posting stupid little statements that don't even make sense, and if it's not too much effort, learn to spell.

Have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    LOL ! HOW CAN YOU HATE YOUR OWN RACE ENVIROMENT ?

Andd well it up to youu, but u will get more MONEY, once u finished living in england that SCOTLAND :/

And you can do a pre reg year with no hassle,... but its all down to youu..
    I don't hate my own people. You know this as well as I do, but Asian people tend to be very nosy and they always want to know your business. I actually live in a predominantly white area and went to a catholic school, so that may also have something to do with it.

I would just prefer a more mixed environment, as you can meet different races and religions, etc.

ReputationRep:
    In what way ^is Scotland more boring than England?
    Bradford having a pre-reg... So? How should that "say sumfing"? What does it say?
    And ^is it scientific fact that Brighton ^is full of gays and ^is boring?

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Perhaps you should Expand/justify your reasoning instead of posting stupid little statements that don't even make sense, and if it's not too much effort, learn to spell.

Have a nice day.
    True. If anything, Scotland is a very interesting place and has such amazing scenery and has a loads of history.

I am extremely proud to be Scottish and even though my English and welsh cousins tease me sometimes about being from Scotland, I do not care.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.