Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the highest total to be chased on this ground is 418 by the WI against Australia (which is also the world record), so India will need 450+ to feel safe.

ReputationRep:
    England are now 148/8, with Murlai picking up his 7th wicket and there being a run-out - seems like they've lost the match now. Still, well done to Sri Lanka for some excellent bowling! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Don't forget the highest total to be chased on this ground is 418 by the WI against Australia (which is also the world record), so India will need 450+ to feel safe.
    That's actually a good point, but I don't think that India can smash that many runs and be able to put WI in late tonight, although they are trying to accelerate the scoring rate.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Murali more like.

Panesar providing some entertainment here, having smashed Murali for six.

ReputationRep:
    Thats it, SL win by 134 runs.

ReputationRep:
    Monty did well though to get 26, third highest score for england's second innings. Murali was amazing but Sri Lanka are in trouble when he retires they haven't got anyone else who comes near to matching his standard.

ReputationRep:
    Flintoff didn't do much in this test though

Well done to Sri Lanka. England probably deserved to win this series 2-1, but if you're going to drop catches you get what you deserve, so 1-1 is reasonable. Sri Lanka will be very pleased with that in England.

Sri Lanka again turning to Murli, and he delivered. I think Sri Lanka currently have the best wicket-keeper in Sangakkara because he can read Murli, and is probably their best batsman as well. Dilshan looks good too in the middle, and their tail always puts up a fight, especially Vaas.

But they still have the openers problem, and their captain seems to have a clear weakness in full deliveries just outside off stump, he needs to work on that, and they need a real opening partnership if they want to get proper first innings totals.

Bowling wise they're in trouble when Vaas and Murli both retire, surely both of them wont last too much longer. Maharoof wasn't bowled at all in that match was he? Or if so only a little... why did they use him?

More importantly to me is the England analysis. Flintoff needs to recover, and some runs from him would be nice too! We need Read over Jones, Plunkett is ok with the bat and ball, so he can stay for now. Get Harmy in for Lewis/Mahmood, keep Panesar instead of Giles - 5 wicket haul and some nice sweeping, lol. I think he should work on that seriously, and also a cut shot, so they pack the leg side and then BAM, he cuts it for 4, that would be entertainment. Hoggie obviously keeps his place.

Or you could still use the extra batsman in for a bowler when Vaughan comes back, I know that's negative but once again it looks necessary if Flintoff and Jones don't perform, the top 5 can only do so much. This game looked on for a while, but Murli is just too good for us.

ReputationRep:
    Sri Lanka, well deserved win, to beat England at home and draw the series, credit must go to them! One-dayers both teams are roughly the same i'd say possibly Sri Lanka edging out !

ReputationRep:
    India are now 351/3 after Dravid just getting out for 62 thanks to a top-edge to long-leg. Still, an excellent partnership with Jaffer, who just hurries a single to bring up his double century, which is very well deserved, since he's been out in the middle batting for the past 111 overs! :yy:

Anyhows, Yuvraj walks in with the current lead at 221, so let's hope that he can get his eye in before rattling off some quick(ish) runs to help India to try and force a win.

Jaffer finally out, but India have done enough, surely!

ReputationRep:
    Some valuable runs from Yuvraj and Kaif, followed by a whirlwind half-century from Dhoni have put India in a strong position, although they still need to take 10 wickets tomorrow on a pitch that was pretty good for batting today. It's nice to see the Indian team batting up to potential again - everyone chipped in to some extent, which is nice, and will boost the team's confidence after their shocking batting performance in the first innings.

Anyhows, did any of you see the kuffufle that resulted from Dhoni's wicket? I was out, so didn't catch it, but he had just hit Mohammed for three consecutive sixes and went for another one which Darren Ganga caught on the boundary, but the on-field umpires weren't sure as to whether he had touched the rope or not, so they referred it to the third umpire who said that the replays proved to be inconclusive, who referred it back to the on-field umpires, and then utter confusion reigned:
    (Original post by Cricinfo)
    The umpires seemed unable to decide, and finally seemed to indicate that Dhoni could bat on, only for Lara to angrily intervene. A long discussion between the umpires, Lara, and the batsmen ensued, after which Dhoni finally decided to take Ganga's word, and was declared caught for 69.
    Truly bizarre! :s: Still, here's hoping for an Indian victory tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    yeh i saw it. dhoni hit 3 consecutive 6's off mohammed and went for the fourth, the fielder went for the catch but it was not clear to see if the catch was taken while he was on the pitch(his foot may of hit the rope) after ages they the umpiers decided not out. then brian lara got soo pissed off he started acting like a little kid. any way because they couldnt come to an agreement rahul dravid called in the boys and declared to stop the banter on the pitch .. quite ammusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Some valuable runs from Yuvraj and Kaif, followed by a whirlwind half-century from Dhoni have put India in a strong position, although they still need to take 10 wickets tomorrow on a pitch that was pretty good for batting today. It's nice to see the Indian team batting up to potential again - everyone chipped in to some extent, which is nice, and will boost the team's confidence after their shocking batting performance in the first innings.
    its gonna be a draw. kumble can only do so much, the pitch is dead, WI have good batsman that can hang in there (Sarwan/Bravo) and big hitting Gayle, Sreesanth is bowling tripe...

ReputationRep:
    Well, Sreesanth bowled pretty well in the second innings, so I think that 'tripe' is a bit of a hard criticism - I think he has the potential to be a decent fast bowler, given time, so that he improves his accurracy et al, but I think that he has the venom for it.

It's a shame the match ended in a draw, since most of the last session belonged to the Indians after West Indies holding their ground in the second session. The last wicket stand of Edwards and Collymore after some chancy hitting by Mohammed managed to rescue the West Indies, who still did a good job, managing their way to almost 300. Anyhows, it's good to see both the Indian bowlers and batsmen getting back into a little form, and hopefully they can go one further in the next test to seal the match, as this one was so close, yet so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Well, Sreesanth bowled pretty well in the second innings, so I think that 'tripe' is a bit of a hard criticism - I think he has the potential to be a decent fast bowler, given time, so that he improves his accurracy et al, but I think that he has the venom for it.

It's a shame the match ended in a draw, since most of the last session belonged to the Indians after West Indies holding their ground in the second session. The last wicket stand of Edwards and Collymore after some chancy hitting by Mohammed managed to rescue the West Indies, who still did a good job, managing their way to almost 300. Anyhows, it's good to see both the Indian bowlers and batsmen getting back into a little form, and hopefully they can go one further in the next test to seal the match, as this one was so close, yet so far.
    true but his 1st innings bowling was quite bad and his last over of the day was poor at best.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, his first innings was pretty poor, however I don't think that there was that much wrong with his final over - he tried all the tricks to get a wicket, so you can't simply judge him on that with the false wisdom that hindsight brings as evidence.

ReputationRep:
    ok well changing the topic - why was sehwag fined for celebrating an obvious dismissal and not lara for finger pointing at umpires and then snatching the ball away from them? now there's a puzzler. actually its not at all surprising given the ICC's history of biased match refereeing...

(Original post by biggie-n)
    ok well changing the topic - why was sehwag fined for celebrating an obvious dismissal and not lara for finger pointing at umpires and then snatching the ball away from them? now there's a puzzler. actually its not at all surprising given the ICC's history of biased match refereeing...
    And we'd gone so long without conspiracy theories!

ReputationRep:
    to quote Shakespeare: "the truth will out"!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.