Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    I wouldn't put Harmison anywhere near as good as Shane Warne, or Brett Lee in terms of his batting capabilities, as Harmison averages a measly 10, whilst the others aforementioned average 16ish and 21 respectively, and have made 50s at crucial times (Shane Warne was deadly unlucky to miss out on a century during the Ashes, and I think that he's got the record for having scored the most Test runs without making a century - his highest score is 99). Shane especially is a gem - he averaged over 25 in the Ashes, and took 40 wickets - it was incredible!
    Shame no batsman in the side did as well as him ey.

ReputationRep:
    Quite. Still, here's to hoping England get trounced this winter.

ReputationRep:
    No - I'm not claiming they're as good, but thats what we should be working towards - as said, on occasion harmison can put up some very good performances which are more in their arena, and if only his consistency could be improved he would be a huge asset to the team.

And, yea - shane in the ashes was ridiculous.

Quite. Still, here's to hoping England get trounced this winter.
    What have you got against England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    well - he's lived here and england have supported him through education for the majority of his existance, if not all, hence he should want to see them lose :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Giles actually has a higher average than Shane Warne - I don't think the Monty/Giles question is as easy to answer as everyone thinks it is. Aside from the fact that for a 'rubbish' bowler Giles has a distinct knack for taking big wickets, his last three batting innings last year were all crucial to England's success. Monty is admittedly looking pretty spectacular, but if Read fails to prove himself on the international stage we'll have a massive tail if we stick to Fletcher's 5 bowler model.

I think we simply have too many awesome players at the moment. Here's to hoping that the Aussies provide at least one spinner's pitch this Winter. I'd love to see the two playing together.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather see dalrymple given a chance as a spinner that giles - not to be unfair to him, but his economy isn't that great, and despite taking "big wickets", he averaged almost 60 per wicket in the ashes. There is also no question that Dalrymple can bat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    The other Indian kids will turn on him if he pledges allegiance to the English flag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I would rather see dalrymple given a chance as a spinner that giles - not to be unfair to him, but his economy isn't that great, and despite taking "big wickets", he averaged almost 60 per wicket in the ashes. There is also no question that Dalrymple can bat.
    There is no question that Ian Bell could bat before the Ashes either. That didn't stop him averaging just 27.5. Personally, i think we'd be mental not to take Monty and if we take Monty it might be wiser to back him up with someone who has a little experiance rather than blood a younger player who could go to pieces. Dalrymple First Class average also isn't entirely spotless, is it?

ReputationRep:
    well - he's lived here and england have supported him through education for the majority of his existance, if not all, hence he should want to see them lose :mad:
    And? What's your point? Plus, England hasn't supported me - the fact that my father payes taxes has supported me - simple as that - he contributes more than enough to the country, and hence I'm entitled to receive my education here - I don't see what the issue is. I'm not English; I'm Indian.

I just don't want England to win, because a) I don't think that they deserve it, and b) people will be completely unbearable if England beat Australia in Australia. When England won the Ashes last year, people hyped them up far too much, and that's what pisses me off - they're not that great a team, and hence I don't see what all the fuss is about. I think they have potential, but that's about where it ends. If the nation learned how to keep things in perspective, then I'd be more supportive of them.

ReputationRep:
    I dont disagree with you supporting India - but people living in a country actively willing them to fail is, in my opinion, despicable unless they actively support the opposition - so, England Vs India, it would be completely understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it despicable? It's my choice, and since I'm not English or Australian, it makes no difference who I support.

ReputationRep:
    Its despicable since you're in England - you may not be English, but you have spent a large part of your life here, and hence should atleast show a modicum of commitment to that nation.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong - I like England - I'm interested and committed politically, etc, however I don't see the need to support them in the sporting arena.

ReputationRep:
    Angel inspector, where were you born?

I am of Indian origin but was born in England. I do support the England cricket team (mainly because of Panesar), but India come first, I completely love indian cricket! Its just a bit harsh saying you hope England get battered when you live in this country. If you hate it so much, why not move elsewhere?

I can also see where you are coming from in terms of people do take things way out of perspective when England have 1 good series, and over rate the team completely. But do you not think that we over rate India a little bit? We struggle in the Windies, albeit without Tendulkar, but what are we, a 1 man team?

I just can't wait till next summer when India come here, I hope that will proove once and for all who is the greater team.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong - I like England - I'm interested and committed politically, etc, however I don't see the need to support them in the sporting arena.
    because thats perhaps where they need your support most?

As I said - I dont ask you to support England because you live here, am just disappointed at someone willing them to lose - even if the local ********s all become ridiculous, it is still a worthy sacrifice for the national jubilation which would accompany another ashes victory - I'm sure you would not like it if someone actively wanted India to get thrashed, especially in the games against pakistan if they lived in India their entire lives and we'ren't of pakistani origin - this is comparable.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in India, and moved over to England when I was young.

I don't hate the country, I really enjoy living in England - it's a nation of moderation in many respects - not nearly as gluttonous as the Americans, nor as frugal as those from some other countries - it's got a good balance.

Of course Indians who live in India tend to over-rate the team, however Indians are generally cricket nutters (far more so than the English) - they lack perspective when talking about a team's chances, etc. We didn't struggle in the West Indies; we were outplayed fair and square - they deserved to win the ODI series as comprehensively as they did, as they showed more nerve than us.

Meh, I don't really care who's the 'greater team' (although I'd obviously like India to win), as I don't see it as a contest, or some long held rivalry.

ReputationRep:
    because thats perhaps where they need your support most?

As I said - I dont ask you to support England because you live here, am just disappointed at someone willing them to lose - even if the local ********s all become ridiculous, it is still a worthy sacrifice for the national jubilation which would accompany another ashes victory - I'm sure you would not like it if someone actively wanted India to get thrashed, especially in the games against pakistan if they lived in India their entire lives and we'ren't of pakistani origin - this is comparable.
    That situation hasn't arisen in my life, and hence I cannot hypothetically comment on how I would feel given such a situation.

Anyhows, I have a 'British' passport, not an English one, hence supporting one nation above the rest would be unfair. I'd like Britain to do well in things, eg. the Olympics, etc, since it's a united team from all the nations, not just England.

ReputationRep:
    That situation hasn't arisen in my life, and hence I cannot hypothetically comment on how I would feel given such a situation.

Anyhows, I have a 'British' passport, not an English one, hence supporting one nation above the rest would be unfair. I'd like Britain to do well in things, eg. the Olympics, etc, since it's a united team from all the nations, not just England.
    England is infact England and Wales, and the Scottish team is rubbish, and the majority of them who follow cricket also support English...

ReputationRep:
    England is infact England and Wales, and the Scottish team is rubbish, and the majority of them who follow cricket also support English...
    Good for them, but as I said, it's not for me. If it was a British cricket team, then I'd feel better about supporting them.

Don't get me wrong, I want England to win the current series against Pakistan (and I was happy enough that they won the Ashes last year [bar all the over-hyping of the team]), but I don't want them to win the Ashes in Australia, as the nation would be truly unbearable if it happened.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.