Turn on thread page Beta

515, nice total. But their openers are actually playing sensibly damn them - come on guys, swing outside that off stump!

ReputationRep:
    :mad:

Foolish runout, and it's for two!

I suppose the debate here is whether Pietersen is a cheat for not walking. Personally I'd say no, it's the Umpires who are to blame. Hard luck for Pakistan but you can't blame England, or take it away from their performance, all sides get bad decisions sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Foolish runout, and it's for two!

I suppose the debate here is whether Pietersen is a cheat for not walking. Personally I'd say no, it's the Umpires who are to blame. Hard luck for Pakistan but you can't blame England, or take it away from their performance, all sides get bad decisions sometimes.
    Yeah, agreed - it's not the batsmen's responsibility, although sometimes batsmen do walk, even when not given, when they know that they should have been out.

(Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Yeah, agreed - it's not the batsmen's responsibility, although sometimes batsmen do walk, even when not given, when they know that they should have been out.
    Yeah, that's more a case of them being admirable than non-walkers being cheaters though, I think.

Pakistan building a partnership here, and they need to, and the next one needs to be big too because Iqbal and Akmal are looking dodgy on English wickets, and then it's just the bowling. As per usual it's Khan, Yousuf and Inzy who are crucial.

ReputationRep:
    If only Pakistan had as much depth in their opening!

(Original post by A Y A Z)
    If only Pakistan had as much depth in their opening!
    Butt seems decent, and to be fair he was run out by Khan... and when Malik is back you'll have a decent enough opening partnership. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I hope they don't do something stupid like opening with Akmal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Yeah, that's more a case of them being admirable than non-walkers being cheaters though, I think.

Pakistan building a partnership here, and they need to, and the next one needs to be big too because Iqbal and Akmal are looking dodgy on English wickets, and then it's just the bowling. As per usual it's Khan, Yousuf and Inzy who are crucial.
    I couldn't agree more.

Pakistan did an excellent job to recover from their early nerves. The ever (seemingly) reliable Yousuf did his job, ably assisted by Younis, and I think the former is in for another big innings.

Khan and Yousuf are too good for a pitch that is pretty much dead.

We drastically need at least 2 new ball wickets or we're in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I knew Yousuf was on for another big one - he's coming up towards his double hundred and Younis is coming up towards his 150 - these last 356 runs have come at a spanking run rate of 4.36. England's bowlers have been rubbish today, much as they were after yesterday's opening spell. Still, if Pakistan put the pressure on England by making a huge score and bowl them out cheaply, then they have a chance to chase down a target. It's be nice if Pakistan won this match, because then the final match of the series would be more interesting.

I knew Yousuf was on for another big one - he's coming up towards his double hundred and Younis is coming up towards his 150 - these last 356 runs have come at a spanking run rate of 4.36. England's bowlers have been rubbish today, much as they were after yesterday's opening spell. Still, if Pakistan put the pressure on England by making a huge score and bowl them out cheaply, then they have a chance to chase down a target. It's be nice if Pakistan won this match, because then the final match of the series would be more interesting.
    Can Pakistan make a lead? - Yes.

Can Pakistan take advantage by bowling us out cheaply? - Probably not.

I'm hoping this just goes down to a draw now.

ReputationRep:
    Hence I used the word 'if'.

Anyhows, Yousuf is out for 192. Harmison has finally got a wicket!

Yup yup, now we need one more and we're into a different league of batsman.

ReputationRep:
    Pak maybe able to score MORE than 500, the way this is going! Maybe bat for another day and put let England chase a score...

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, Pakistan's middle order is definitely their best asset batting wise. Butt is an ok opener, but Umar is rubbish; I bet they can't wait for Malik to return. Plus, Akmal et al haven't played very well this series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Y A Z)
    Pak maybe able to score MORE than 500, the way this is going! Maybe bat for another day and put let England chase a score...
    Pakistan would have to have a collapse of monumental proportions to not score more than 500, considering they're currently only three wickets down.

Indeed, Pakistan's middle order is definitely their best asset batting wise. Butt is an ok opener, but Umar is rubbish; I bet they can't wait for Malik to return. Plus, Akmal et al haven't played very well this series.
    But then Iqbal and Akmal haven't played on a pitch this dead yet. I fear they may be able to get big scores as well in this game.

Though first we need another wicket, and Inzy is looking attacking. Hope he goes soon!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he's come out all guns blazing. I think the most likely of the English bowlers to pick up a wicket is Monty - he's at least keeping it tidy, and I think the pitch may get a little turn later in the day.

Yeah, he's come out all guns blazing. I think the most likely of the English bowlers to pick up a wicket is Monty - he's at least keeping it tidy, and I think the pitch may get a little turn later in the day.
    I feel sorry for him, he bowls really well but this wicket isn't good for spin, and he's against world class batsman who are used to spin.

I really want to see Mont on a turning wicket against New Zealand or something, he would destroy them.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.