Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ian bell's test bowling stats:

balls runs wks bbi bbm Avg Econ
    102 64 1 1/33 1/33 64.00 3.76

(Original post by Weird and Wonderful)
    i am sorry to say but flintoff must replace collingwood or tres! this is on there surrent form. Cook could open the batting, i am not too sure but Tres won't be dropped so collingwood seems like the main candidate however he is an excellent player of spin! so er.....you could drop Bell i mean he has been in prime touch and been the 1st English batsemn to score 3 consecutive 100 for quite some time albeit against a mediocre attack. Well atleast it is a nice position to be in....flintof may not make the ashes!
    Drop Tres because of one bad series?!?! The man averages well over 40 over a long career, and over 50 partnership with Strauss, including 150 in the latest innings, and he averages in the high 60's at the oval so I expect a high score from him there.

Colly is good for his fielding, and he should bowl more. Plus he did make 180 earlier this series. I'd drop Cook maybe, he's good but he's boring to watch, and Bell seems to do a nice job along with the tail...

Maybe somebody will get injured and make this decision easier.

ReputationRep:
    I would drop Mahmood for Flintoff - despite the end of the recent test, he has not been brilliant, and that would give us an even more prodigeous batting line up. Also, that would still give us 4 bowlers (a 3 seam, 1 spinner line up seems to be working very well), and then give the part-timers more of a go.

I dont think any of our top 6 can be dropped...Tres is probably closest, but you still wouldn't break up what is proven to be a winning partnership.

ReputationRep:
    Id drop Hoggard for the last test and give Stuart Broad a go. Everyone knows what Hoggard can do and if it all goes horribly wrong then he can jus come back into the team. Iv heard Broad can bat too which would make him an ideal candidate for the number 8 position. Alternatively, Monty could be given a go at number 8 because, although not a batsmen he can still play some strokes and hold up an end.

(Original post by chriswalker87)
    Id drop Hoggard for the last test and give Stuart Broad a go. Everyone knows what Hoggard can do and if it all goes horribly wrong then he can jus come back into the team. Iv heard Broad can bat too which would make him an ideal candidate for the number 8 position. Alternatively, Monty could be given a go at number 8 because, although not a batsmen he can still play some strokes and hold up an end.
    I'd say Harmie can play strokes/hold an end better than Monty. Like when Bell needed to reach his 100 at Lords he did a good blocking job, he's isn't always so attacking...

Anyway, the last two tests have showed that Hoggie can only bowl when conditions suit him, and when there's more left-handers. With his knee problems I wouldn't mind seeing him given a break before the ashes. We need him there because there's some dangerous left-handed Aussies.

Also, can people stop talking about Tresco being dropped? That shouldn't be under consideration. I'd sooner see Pietersen go than him.

ReputationRep:
    Ocassional sloppy work? You mean one wicket and 99% sloppy work?
    OK OK maybe that's how it is but atleast he is available for the ocassional spin

Yup it was his first wicket, but hes been unlucky in the past with dropped catches etc... he's a better option than KP and I haven't seen enough of Bell to comment, but I assume he isn't as good if he's never used?
    Yeah seeing that he's currently the best fielder on the England side. He reaped rewards after the misfortunes though- the brilliant low catch he took in slip cordon yesterday at Headingley? Indeed he's a better option than Pietersen when it comes to bowling- he's got swing after all.
    If my memory serves me correctly, Bell did bowl a couple of overs in their last summer's encounter with Pakistan- I remember him taking a wicket as well; caught and bowled :hmmmm: I think Strauss did try Belly in the test at Old Trafford- don't quote me on that though.

Now Mahmood is being good I dunno who Flintoff should replace.
    Exactly. Yet, I still believe -albeit I don't like it- that Belly will be the one to depart. After all he came in as a replacemnt for flintoff...
    But looking at his terrific current form, it will be foolish to let him go- Just look at his average!

i am sorry to say but flintoff must replace collingwood or tres! this is on there surrent form. Cook could open the batting, i am not too sure but Tres won't be dropped so collingwood seems like the main candidate however he is an excellent player of spin! so er.....you could drop Bell i mean he has been in prime touch and been the 1st English batsemn to score 3 consecutive 100 for quite some time albeit against a mediocre attack. Well atleast it is a nice position to be in....flintof may not make the ashes!
    No way! We can't drop Tresco or Colly! Collingwood has got astounding fielding finesse apart from the runs he contributes with the bat!

Trescothick has not been able to find his rhythm so far in the series but that really doesn't mean he should be dropped And Cook as an opener? I'm not too sure about that :s:

Yeah it's unfortunate for Belly- but I believe that's how things will go I don't quite agree with you when you say Pakistan has a mediocre attack- I think it was a fraction more than that; Bell did an excellent job to score 3 consecutive tons, one which even proved to be beyond the top order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriswalker87)
    I'm not too sure about Broad because I've hardly seen him play, but I agree with you about Hoggard not being suitable as a number 8 batsman- Harmy, Saj and even Monty bettered him with the bat. He should probably be moved down to 10.

Also, can people stop talking about Tresco being dropped? That shouldn't be under consideration. I'd sooner see Pietersen go than him.
    I wonder why Pietersen always relishes to be on the attack all the time? No sooner does he come in, he's heaving the ball all over the boundary ropes which makes you wonder whether he plays for himself rather than for the team. I'm not saying I would want him out, rather I'd like to see him being a tad conservative sometimes. I mean just look how he gave his wicket away in England's second innings at Headingley- his ego got the better of him; the whole little antagonism between Danish and him was a bit out of hand and ultimately he paid the price- couldn't read the googly.

(Original post by Googly)
    I wonder why Pietersen always relishes to be on the attack all the time? No sooner does he come in, he's heaving the ball all over the boundary ropes which makes you wonder whether he plays for himself rather than for the team. I'm not saying I would want him out, rather I'd like to see him being a tad conservative sometimes. I mean just look how he gave his wicket away in England's second innings at Headingley- his ego got the better of him; the whole little antagonism between Danish and him was a bit out of hand and ultimately he paid the price- couldn't read the googly.
    Yeah, and he rarely makes a big total without a bit of luck along the way. He is important because if he comes off he can make runs so quickly - but I say Tresco is more class than KP, and when he's played as many matches I doubt his average will be around 45.

What do people think about including Gough in the ODI squad? Do people even care about the Championship Trophy, or ODIs for that matter? He surely wouldn't be anywhere near should Flintoff & Jones be fit, so maybe it's time to give some of the young ones a go? Granted, our ODI form is wretched, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Jones hardly bowls well in ODI's...so I think he might be in questionable contention...

I think give gough a chance - when he bowls well he can produce magic, so its worth the risk, and you cant question his devotion and willingness to work hard...

Personally I don't think ODI's are cricket, it's only a bit of fun, and 20/20 even more so. But clearly a lot do care about them and it's always nice to win, especially a world cup... so it should be taken under consideration.

I think in one-dayers you can use Colly for 10, he seems to do well in them. I'd use Monty too, he is attacking with the bat and he can flight it well which will take wickets in ODI's as batsman seek to attack that. He can also get spin on basically any wicket, even Headingly, so he can always be used. Then Harmie obviously takes 10.

The problem with Gough is, I like to think long-term all the time, and would sooner see a young talent take over, e.g. Lewis. Mahmood possibly, but he strays down leg too much for ODI's really. When he controls line better in the future I'm sure he can come in. Flintoff will obviously take 10 overs when he's back.

Depends on the wicket also, if it takes spin than we can use an extra spinner, give Bikers lad another go 'cos hes been doing well in ODI's it seems vs Sri Lanka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Depends on the wicket also, if it takes spin than we can use an extra spinner, give Bikers lad another go 'cos hes been doing well in ODI's it seems vs Sri Lanka.
    Even if he doesn't bowl, his batting is good and of the right temperament for ODI's. Also, whilst his bowling isn't massively aggresive, he takes the odd wicket and averaged 4.40 against a very attacking sri lanka side...

(Original post by bikerx23)
    Even if he doesn't bowl, his batting is good and of the right temperament for ODI's. Also, whilst his bowling isn't massively aggresive, he takes the odd wicket and averaged 4.40 against a very attacking sri lanka side...
    I never watched them, did the wickets take spin, or is he a more flightey bowler rather than using spin anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I only saw highlights, so didn't see his bowling pattern, but it looked like he exploited a bit of both...very sharp in the field too (collingwood standard as far as I could see...)

I only saw highlights, so didn't see his bowling pattern, but it looked like he exploited a bit of both...very sharp in the field too (collingwood standard as far as I could see...)
    All-rounders are more important in ODI's, so yeah, bung him in too then as well as Monty. 20 overs of spin. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone answer why Mal Loye is in the squad? Good move putting Gough back in though i say

ReputationRep:
    Who is your lad? Dalrymple?

(Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Who is your lad? Dalrymple?
    Yea, should have specified that really. Toby just seems to mention him a lot. :p:

I wonder if hes forgiven Bell for a poor ashes series yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Yea, should have specified that really. Toby just seems to mention him a lot. :p:

I wonder if hes forgiven Bell for a poor ashes series yet...
    I haven't forgiven him for a poor ashes, but I do believe he has now shown that he deserves to be in the side - he bats ridiculously well with the tail and I believe is in the perfect slot - put Flintoff in before Read and boot out Mahmood (when players are back fit and all) and we will have a formidable team. (for tests that is)

I haven't forgiven him for a poor ashes, but I do believe he has now shown that he deserves to be in the side - he bats ridiculously well with the tail and I believe is in the perfect slot - put Flintoff in before Read and boot out Mahmood (when players are back fit and all) and we will have a formidable team. (for tests that is)
    Thing is, that's all well and good to say now when it's working. But what if a pitch wont take spin, and two batsman are in and the seamers wont get a breakthrough and they're all knackered. Sometimes you need a fourth seamer.

I actually do agree with you about dropping Mahmood, but I doubt it will happen for the above reason.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.