Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by jordanm)
    Rain forecast for Saturday in London too...

Is it just me that's doesn't particularly enjoy watching one day cricket? It always seems a bit boring to me, test cricket is a true battle. The weak always get found out if their mental strength or technique is not good enough, as a lot of Pakistani batsman did this summer. Anyway, to draw an analogy with food, a ODI is a bit like a snack, it will taste good for a moment or two but won't really leave you contented, whereas a test match is like a good meal, it will leave you full and contented for a while.
    I think many English people would say this right now. But I honestly feel that only test cricket is real cricket, and ODI's is only a bit of fun but nothing to take seriously. It's a big shame that the world cup can't be decided with tests, but that would take forever sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    England should thank their lucky stars that Pakistan's front line attack was injured in the Tests then.
    No doubt, Pakistan were missing three key players, but we were also missing three key players.......

..... and Ashley Giles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I think many English people would say this right now. But I honestly feel that only test cricket is real cricket, and ODI's is only a bit of fun but nothing to take seriously. It's a big shame that the world cup can't be decided with tests, but that would take forever sadly.
    I absolutely agree, and also felt this way when England's ODI team have played well. Tests are far superior.

ReputationRep:
    England should thank their lucky stars that Pakistan's front line attack was injured in the Tests then.
    Yep, the tests would have been a whole lot different if they'd had Asif and Shoaib fit. You saw the damage Asif did in the last tast, him and Shoaib would have caused chaos with the new ball. At Old Trafford and Headingley in particular their bowling attack looked very lightweight, with them two it would have been every different but it goes down in the record books as England 3-0 Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure everyone would be singing a new tune IF England were to win the WC.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that test cricket is far superior, but if it is why in the likes of SA, Pakistan, and India does it seem like nobody is at the test matches whereas the ODI's are jam packed. There are so many meaningless ODI's played nowadays that it is affecting some of the quality of the test matches as well I think. Anyway, I think with regards to a test World Cup the beauty of test cricket is you don't need one, through a series you can see who is the better team and over time the best team will always be outed.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, winning a few ODI's doesn't make you a great team. Consistently beating the best teams home and away in test cricket over the next few years would truly make me hapy, as Australia have done the last decade.

I said honestly, I think tests are better. We don't just lie because our teams losing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget Australia also had a winning streak in ODIs which last 21 consecutive matches (including going unbeaten in the WC of 2003) - now that is what makes a truly great team (as well as winning 16 consecutive series in a row under Waugh).

ReputationRep:
    They also won home and away series over nearly every nation in that period, which I find far more impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I said honestly, I think tests are better. We don't just lie because our teams losing. :rolleyes:
    Quite.

ODIs = a slog.

Tests = a cover drive.

ReputationRep:
    Point is, a truly great team is one that masters both forms of the game.

Reasons tests are superior:

1. If a batsman gets a low score he can redeem himself in a second innings.
    2. Older, experienced players are more handy, in a ODI they can be a liability in the field and not picked because they prefer some young, fit person.
    3. The wicket has time to take spin.
    4. The ball has time to reverse.
    5. Batsman can play naturally.
    6. Bowlers need to have gameplans, because they need wickets.
    7. The better team usually wins, it's a longer game and therefore a weaker side has longer to be sussed out.
    8. Individual moments of luck don't affect a game so much in a long game, skill matters more.
    9. More strategy with the field settings.
    10. More time to drink beer.

I've probably missed out a load. But tests really are a better form of cricket than ODI's. That's just bubblegum cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but also a truly great team is one who masters test cricket alone.

ReputationRep:
    Of course Tests are the real deal; but the only reason England fans rubbish ODIs is because the team don't even try to win an ODI. They haven't won a major ODI tournament since 1997.

ReputationRep:
    11. Batsman with a poor technique always get found out against good oposition.

ReputationRep:
    Of course Tests are the real deal; but the only reason England fans rubbish ODIs is because the team don't even try to win an ODI. They haven't won a major ODI tournament since 1997.
    No, I rubbish ODI's because I find the form of the game tedius and repititive.

ReputationRep:
    Tests are better but that doesn't mean we should be prepared to lose 5-0 at home to Sri Lanka, 5-1 away to India and what will probably be 4-0 at home to Pakistan.

We just seem to lack all nous in playing one day cricket. The batsmen don't really attack, we have too many bits and pieces players, the seam options are a bit of a joke. I don't really think the game is that hard but we are just going backwards and it is embarrasing.

My pieces of advice to Fletcher would be...
    1. Get a player in to attack during the fielding restrictions.
    2. Get players in to attack during the final 10 overs.
    3. Pick a spinner who can take wickets, is not good enough just to have a spinner who will keep it tight.
    4. Don't pick all these bits and pieces players. Pick a player for their batting or bowling, if they can do the other discipline its a bonus.
    5. Pick seam bowlers who can bowl straight, they don't have to be 90mph bowlers.

That would give a team of
    1. Loye
    2. Trescothick
    3. Bell
    4. Strauss (or Cook if AS doesn't start performing)
    5. Pietersen
    6. Flintoff (Collingwood when fred is out)
    7. Prior+
    8. Chapple
    9. Anderson / Lewis
    10. Broad
    11. Panesar

ReputationRep:
    As much as Test cricket is loved over here, ODI's are just as big a part of cricket as Tests. If england bothered to see that then maybe they would perform better.

The only time I've seen England ever do well is against Aussies in tests. I don't think they bother as much with other teams!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know...i think i'd be happy to trade losing every ODI series in for winning every test series.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.