The Cricket Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by biggie-n)
fair enough. but Smith should have told him to get a move on in that case. Then again, Kallis should be smart enough to get on with it. I don't know if he was being selfish though, maybe he's just a bit slow...
I watched him at the ICC vs MCC charity match last summer (2005) and he seemed happy to throw his bat about.
This is the point though; without doubt he has the talent and the shots to score at a quicker rate.. he just often seems to not want to, no matter how much he really should for his team's sake.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Shoaib who? Asif who?

Well done Umar Gul. He really does love the Gaddafi Stadium.
Horrorshow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
Shoaib who? Asif who?

Well done Umar Gul. He really does love the Gaddafi Stadium.
:ditto: Although apparantly nazir did all the hard work and he just mopped up the tail.

This is why we should play monty as our spinner in the first test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cre9...elated&search=
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
****ing hell, Geraint Jones back in over Chris Read. I suppose I can understand the logic if it's viewed as a "horses for courses" type selection.. otherwise it seems really quite harsh on young Christopher, given how he's done in Tests since returning.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
****ing hell, Geraint Jones back in over Chris Read. I suppose I can understand the logic if it's viewed as a "horses for courses" type selection.. otherwise it seems really quite harsh on young Christopher, given how he's done in Tests since returning.
I was gonna say...what happened to the "long run" thing as they gave jones through his inception? Read has played very well in tests.

Ok, Read didn't make many in the recent ODI's, but he made a 60 in a match the other day and the best jones has produced is 13...off 40 deliveries - I think its ridiculous.
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't mind seeing jones back. In fact im glad. Read has his chance, but gashed up on most occasions.

Jones is still a better keeper i believe. He's improved tremendously in that department and takes catches that other wouldn't ever dream of catching.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm old school - should have stuck with Read. But we all know Fletch's love affair with Jones.

In other news, Yousuf struck his 20th Test hundred on his home ground to put Pakistan in the driving seat on the 2nd day of the 1st Test against WI. Pakistan closed on 265/4 with the other not out batsman Shoaib Malik on 61.
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In which case it seems a bit strange that inzy got out for a duck

But well played yousuf.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Law of averages I suppose - he can't get a hundred all the time.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Nathan Ley3)
This is why we should play monty as our spinner in the first test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cre9...elated&search=
I think his wicket of Khan is better actually, when he literally hit the bail of off stump!
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I think his wicket of Khan is better actually, when he literally hit the bail of off stump!
Hmm yeah thats what i thought. But on you tube the quality of the videos for the khan dismissal weren't very good (
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nathan Ley3)
I don't mind seeing jones back. In fact im glad. Read has his chance, but gashed up on most occasions.
You really do continually give me reason to believe that you are a bit thick. Remember, we're talking about Test matches here, not ODI's - and in the two opportunities he's had, he's averaged 42 and kept well.

Please, please, please.. stop being stupid.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
You really do continually give me reason to believe that you are a bit thick. Remember, we're talking about Test matches here, not ODI's - and in the two opportunities he's had, he's averaged 42 and kept well.

Please, please, please.. stop being stupid.
couldn't agree more on both points.

Read has given an exemplary example of how a wicket keeper should play in tests - I dont think many would argue against Jones being the better of the two in ODIs, but considering Reads considerably better form in Tests...

Also - dropping read on the back of a knock of 55 - what are they thinking!
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I meant read has had his chance batting in alot of odi's recently, and has failed to make an impact. Granted, it is a different form of the game. But then again jones's failure with the bat in some odi's contributed to the pressure that was placed on him (and added to the general concensus behind dropping him).
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ODI's are completely different, particularly given the fact that England are generally a bit **** in them. And Jones got dropped from the Test team because in his last five matches, he averaged 13, with a top score of 19. What exactly he's done to suggest that his form will be better than that now is beyond me.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A part of me hopes he gets a diamond in the first test so we actually have a chance for the others.

Especially if its off unspectacular bowling too...
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6141292.stm

here here!
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol...indeed. He's that good, he wants to handicap himself! Why not use a smaller bat MY!?

Lara back on form, just got out on 122...Windies currently 243-5.

I still fancy Pakistan to win though.
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
lol...indeed. He's that good, he wants to handicap himself! Why not use a smaller bat MY!?

Lara back on form, just got out on 122...Windies currently 243-5.

I still fancy Pakistan to win though.
Yousuf's not exactly the youngest guy ever. I doubt he'd be saying this if he was 21 again.

In other news, england didn't completely fold against the aussies. Pietersen - 122. Also, how the hell did Clarke get bowled by ashley giles?

It's a shame to hear the stories about abuse being thrown at monty though. Hopefully he's strong enough to overcome it.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, but it wouldn't be right for someone aged 21 to say something like that...would sound very arrogant. You need to be an old head to say that kind of thing.

Yousuf has only just turned 32...I think he probably has another 3-5 good years left in him, depending on what he wants to achieve. He's one of these late developers...around about 28-29 he started to look world class.

Yeah was a shame to hear about that abuse towards Panesar...it isn't the first time an Aussie fan has done something like this, even though the vast majority of them are very good.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.34%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.66%

Watched Threads