Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Trescothick out of the Ashes apparently, 'recurrence of illness'. ****ing hell. To be honest, this could be a good thing. It may also be about the right time to say goodbye to him as well.. he's been a brilliant player, but just seems unable to hold himself together these days. Thankfully there's a ready made replacement for him in Alistair Cook.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what his problem is all about, but there's probably more to it than it seems. I don't think he'll be able to come back from this either. At least this way we can now play another capable youngster so he can gain experience.

But still, it has to go down as a bodyblow to england

ReputationRep:
    Its real bad news for tha ashes that he will not be playing, i just don't understand what is up with im! I just hope he gets better quicker.

So who will open i guess Bell and Cook will both play now and Collers will drop out for Freddie.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan win by 9 wickets, Umar Gul getting man of the match for his nine wickets. Yousuf a bit hard done by there; he did make 192.

Nevertheless, 1-0 up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Pakistan win by 9 wickets, Umar Gul getting man of the match for his nine wickets. Yousuf a bit hard done by there; he did make 192.

Nevertheless, 1-0 up
    Loool.

But Yousuf complained about flat tracks! :eek: :toofunny:

But Gul had to get it he helped bowl them out on flat tracks which is harder.

But its the same thing Pakistan i brilliant at home but ordinary away from it. But there stalwart Inzi is back so things are okay even if Shoaib and Asif are banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weird and Wonderful)
    Its real bad news for tha ashes that he will not be playing, i just don't understand what is up with im! I just hope he gets better quicker.

So who will open i guess Bell and Cook will both play now and Collers will drop out for Freddie.
    Cook has actually been an opener all the way through his cricketing career until he started playing for England, so he will open, as he did in India when Trescothick bottled it. As I said, it might not actually be a bad thing.. Bell has scored runs for England in testing conditions from 3 before, although he looked good slightly lower down the order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Cook has actually been an opener all the way through his cricketing career until he started playing for England, so he will open, as he did in India when Trescothick bottled it. As I said, it might not actually be a bad thing.. Bell has scored runs for England in testing conditions from 3 before, although he looked good slightly lower down the order.
    Cook and Strauss opening will be a good partnership, I have no doubts about that. I do have concerns about the rest of the batting line up though.

Bell at three still doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I know he did well against Pakistan but he was at 6 against their second team bowlers, he'll be up against McGrath and Lee with the new ball, I think he'll struggle there.

Pietersen at 4, Flintoff at 6, both good batsmen but I would like them batting one place lower each. I don't think Collingwood is a test standard batsman and the less said about Jones at 7 the better.

If Vaughan comes back and slots in at 3 then I will be a lot happier but its a big risk and seems highly unlikely. The idea of batting Flintoff at 7 is quite unlikely as we need to play an extra bowler to cope with his injury.

So to sum up, it will be the team on the left but I'd like to see the team on the right.
    Strauss - Strauss
    Cook - Cook
    Bell - Vaughan
    Pietersen - Shah
    Collingwood - Pietersen
    Flintoff - Bell
    G Jones - Flintoff
    Giles - Prior
    Hoggard - Hoggard
    Harmison - Anderson
    Anderson - Panesar

ReputationRep:
    Wha! I can understand you wanting one less bowler, but no harmison! He's brilliant, especially in test cricket. And prior :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't rated Harmison that highly for a long time. Hes too wayward, is one dimension (the short ball) and his attitude towards one day cricket is starting to piss me off. I don't see what he does that Flintoff can't.

On the other hand, I really rate Prior, top class batsman and his keeping is coming on nicely too. Don't judge him by what you saw in the ODI team a few years back, this guy can play! Infact 8 would be too low for him actually. He also has the added advantages of not being called Chris or Geraint.

ReputationRep:
    I predict england will play this squad:

Strauss
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Flintoff
    G Jones
    Giles
    Panesar
    Hoggard
    Harmison
    Anderson

ReputationRep:
    not likely considering they were considering which of collingwood, bell and cook to drop, and just because a different batsman is no longer available, that doesn't mean they're gonna change their strategy.

I think they'll stick with the standard 1 spinner, 4 seamer attack - its served them pretty well thus far. That means one of Monty or Giles will go, and considering that, Monty wont be starting, which is ridiculous - If we were going for a combination of spin and batting, Dalrymple should be playing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's that time again! The Ashes are almost here, and I'm guessing that England are as usual the underdogs, especially with the current form, the fact that it's in Australia, Trecothick's departure from the squad etc etc.
    So, here is the official thread for you all to discuss anything Ashes related!

One last thing:

Come on England!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Well, it's that time again! The Ashes are almost here, and I'm guessing that England are as usual the underdogs, especially with the current form, the fact that it's in Australia, Trecothick's departure from the squad etc etc.
    So, here is the official thread for you all to discuss anything Ashes related!

One last thing:

Come on England!!!
    Should be good, but their main experienced campaigner is out now. The plot is a bit misty to me around why Trescothick keeps on leaving/departing from a series. I reckon they should play both left arm spinners. The aussies no doubt will be out for revenge. I'm looking forward to watching Warny bowl

BRING ON THE ASHES

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shammy)
    Should be good, but their main experienced campaigner is out now. The plot is a bit misty to me around why Trescothick keeps on leaving/departing from a series. I reckon they should play both left arm spinners. The aussies no doubt will be out for revenge. I'm looking forward to watching Warny bowl

BRING ON THE ASHES
    I think that Tresco has some real problems mentally. The thing that concerns him is when or if he will play again and if he will ever be back to his old best.
    Jimmy Anderson did really well in the 3 day warm up match

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think that Tresco has some real problems mentally. The thing that concerns him is when or if he will play again and if he will ever be back to his old best.
    Jimmy Anderson did really well in the 3 day warm up match
    I think the England bowlers are to inconsistent. I think spin attack will be crucial for them. Peterson is on top of his game at the moment, he will be a big player in the middle of the innings, and hopefully Collingwood does his job lower down. If he can save around 20 runs in field, make 30 with the bat, maybe even take 2 wickets, a job well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike89)
    I predict england will play this squad:

Strauss
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Flintoff
    G Jones
    Giles
    Panesar
    Hoggard
    Harmison
    Anderson
    If this team gets picked in Brisbane, I will video myself removing my own testicles with a rusty knife and post it online. I am that sure that this will not be the team.

ReputationRep:
    If this team gets picked in Brisbane, I will video myself removing my own testicles with a rusty knife and post it online. I am that sure that this will not be the team.
    I dont know...a six pronged bowling attack may be a bold move :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If that team gets picked, you can expect a repeat of what happened at the same ground three years ago.

(Original post by King Of Leon)
    I haven't rated Harmison that highly for a long time. Hes too wayward, is one dimension (the short ball) and his attitude towards one day cricket is starting to piss me off. I don't see what he does that Flintoff can't.

On the other hand, I really rate Prior, top class batsman and his keeping is coming on nicely too. Don't judge him by what you saw in the ODI team a few years back, this guy can play! Infact 8 would be too low for him actually. He also has the added advantages of not being called Chris or Geraint.
    This is a test series on bouncy wickets though. :confused:

Remember the match against Pakistan when the ball bounced a lot? He took 11 wickets!

Anyway, I guess I should also say:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

I doubt Tresco will make it back now because he's pretty old, and I think he's rather fudged up. Some consolation is that the youngsters can improve as people have said, and Somerset will have a half decent player now!

ReputationRep:
    erm - we wont need this thread - we'll be discussing the ashes in the ultimate cricket thread - already well established, and where the majority of people who already discuss and know a great deal about cricket will go.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.