Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by A Y A Z)
    Whats the score?
    154 all out.

NZ are 85-2...

ReputationRep:
    NZ ftw!

Yes, SL are fighting back.

Watched some Murli earlier, he is incredible. Give that man 150 to bowl to and the chase wont be easy... SL for the win!

ReputationRep:
    yeah but they can't always depend on him! It's the batsmen that have got them in trouble this time! 125/8 second innings!

ReputationRep:
    As long as he's there, I don't see the harm in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    what about the long term plans!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh :p:

So whats the score? I'm not following the match since they don't show it here :p:

ReputationRep:
    OMG, Damien Martyn resigned!

ReputationRep:
    that is hardly a surprise - better he jump than is pushed - he clearly isn't playing to the desired standard any more, and clarke just made 124.

ReputationRep:
    Martyn will be sorely missed - brilliant player, but better to go on your own terms...

ReputationRep:
    ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Martyn will be sorely missed - brilliant player, but better to go on your own terms...
    Well - he is the one batsman in these series and in the last ashes series which England bowled to with brilliant plans, playing to his weaknesses.

It does seem the case of his career that whenever he's made a big innings it's been under collosal pressure, but then another team mate has made a couple more runs...

Still - brilliant player - surprised he's retiring from domestic cricket too though.

ReputationRep:
    What about one-dayers?

ReputationRep:
    One of the best and most under-rated batsman retires . One of the few aussies who was actually not such a arrogant player and one that looked so easy on the eye. It's a shame for the world game.

The guy has not been on top form in recent times but still what a world class batsman. He was a legend in his peak days. The shots square of the wicket were particularly his best, the cut shot especially was full of grace.

The magnificent 13-month streak of 1608 Test runs at a average of 61 and two Man-of-the-Series prizes from March 04 moved him from the dressing-room shadows to the limelight. This was probably the highlight of his career. He crafted seven centuries on surfaces ranging from raging turners in Sri Lanka and India to green seamers in New Zealand and the hard bounce of home.

Martyn has always been one who has been fighting for his place and the fact that he was dropped from the 05 ashes was harsh as he was not the sole blamer. A disappointing end to his career, right in the middle of such an important series, but nonetheless an exceptional player!:congrats:

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/6164089.stm

not surprised. Totally true. The guy is actually now admitting the catch dropped was so crucial that he will not forget it for 20 years. Unbelievable!

ReputationRep:
    Giles reveals 'nasty' phone call

Giles took a single wicket in the defeat in Adelaide

Ashley Giles received a phone call from an England supporter branding him a disgrace to his country within hours of the second Test defeat to Australia.
    Giles has struggled to take wickets so far and his dropped catch off Ricky Ponting arguably proved the turning point in Australia's win in Adelaide.

In a newspaper diary on the aftermath of the loss, Giles said: "A nasty message has been left on my phone.

"Some bloke says I am a disgrace to my country and I should bow out."

In the Independent, the spinner went on: "Have a shower, go down to the hotel bar - drink to forget again.

"The same bloke phones, wakes me up the next morning to apologise for the message. Apology accepted.

"What can you say? I know people have put in a lot of money to come and watch but we have put in a lot of effort, too."

Giles put down a head-high chance off Ponting when the Aussie skipper was on 35 in Adelaide and he went on to make 142.

"I read in the papers the next day that it was a simple chance. It wasn't a simple chance," Giles continued.

"It was just one of those moments when, before you know it, the ball is on you and it hits the turf.

"You can't bring it back - it's gone. I will just spend the next 20 years worrying about it."

ReputationRep:
    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausve...ry/272043.html

Good to see the openers doing well. But look at the relative performances of Giles, Jones & Read :eek:

In response to the above mentioned article from the BBC website. I don't think it was an easy catch. It was the difference between us winning and drawing. The reason we lost was because of the batsmens attitude on the last day.

ReputationRep:
    How about giving some credit to the most successful test bowler ever?
    Comeon! Australia out played England. Accept it.

Its not because of the batsmen... Australia were better. Simple as that. Not everything is about England!

ReputationRep:
    :wavey: ye your right austraila just outplayed them

ReputationRep:
    Well i just posted the link to that article! lolz

Yeah, Aussies deserved victory. There was nothing wrong with our batting-Strauss going down the wicket aggressively, KP playing a sweep shot etc.

Good to see read and cook scoring some runs. Clearly visible to everyone (apart from fletcher) that read is a better batsman.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.