Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I say another whitewash...it'll say a lot that England wouldn't have managed to win a single game on tour - even the warm ups...

ReputationRep:
    Considering their showings at the Champions trophy, I have no choice but to agree!
    Australia has really dominated the series from the start. England on the other hand have not yet shown the flare they did in the previous Ashes..New Zeland might have a few surprises!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah new zealand could surprise people! But i'll say england will edge the series [/blindoptimism]

ReputationRep:
    Well, I haven't been in this thread in a while, but I'll leave any England criticism for now - there's far too much to be dealt out, and I dare say that my keyboard could take the abuse.

Of more concern to me is the sorry state that India worked their way into...opening with Sehwag and Jaffer, when the pair of them hadn't put on more than 25 together all series and when Jaffer/Karthik had put on 153 in the first innings - what a silly idea! Especially since Sehwag actually finally scored a few runs when he was dropped down the order and not exposed to the new ball. Secondly, what the hell was wrong with Tendulkar's batting today? Playing so defensively against a debutant spinner when you're supposed to be one of the greatest current batsmen in the world is beyond bizarre, especially considering the fact that he's traditionally an excellent player of spin - just ask Shane Warne what it's like bowling at him! Next comes Laxman's idiotic running (as does Khan's), however Laxman definitely deserves some flak since he's supposed to be a talented top order batsman! After that, the lower order did the sum total of fork all, bar Karthik, who was the only reason that the lead even surpassed a miserly 200 - he showed that the pitch was still perfectly capable of producing runs and took the show to the bowlers; something that none of the other batsmen, bar perhaps Ganguly could say (who made another decent start, but really should have gone on to make these 30s and 40s into big scores). And after all that, Patel being bowled on apparently the 7th ball of the over?! That's just simply shambolic from a member of the apparent 'Elite Panel' of umpires - absolutely fricking dastardly!

It's terrible to see India capitulate in such a manner, for there is no lack of batting talent in the team, however their inability to step up to the plate when the pressure is on may, yet again, be their downfall and would mean losing a series that should very well have been there's for the taking.

I'm praying for rain - I'd happily take a draw at this stage as Smith seems unflustered now he's got his groove back, and only some special Kumble magic could eke out a win if Sreesanth and Co. can steal a couple of early wickets, but the problem is that SA bat competently all the way down to Pollock at number eight.

*sighs*

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. All is not lost. I think India can skittle SA out in under the total. They'll need sreesanth and kumble though, as you say. As for the batting, I don't think it's too bad. South africas hasn't exactly been good either. But yeah, tendulkar really should show a bit more of an agressive intent. I think they should stick with sehwag at the top for now though.

ReputationRep:
    You never know with India. One moment I thought that they were going to win this match... by the looks of it now, I think SA will have no problem chasing this target.

Why doesn't India do away with Sehwag? He isn't performing. Let him go play a few county matches and regain his confidence. There are players like Sharad Pawar waiting in the wings who have shown tremendous form in the recent months.

ReputationRep:
    Six moments which defined Englands series:

Preparation
    If you believe the likes of Dennis Lillee and Ian Chappell, England's Ashes campaign was doomed from the moment they opted to shirk their responsibilities at the ICC Champions Trophy, and treat the tournament as an inconvenient obstacle rather than a means for gathering momentum. England in fact erred twice in India - firstly by failing even to pretend they were interested in winning, and secondly by flying home for ten days' R & R immediately afterwards - a decision that Lillee slammed as "stupid". Australia, meanwhile, were runaway winners, with runaway momentum.

Selection
    Ashley Giles for Monty Panesar, Geraint Jones for Chris Read, Jimmy Anderson for Sajid Mahmood. Three integral members of the side that had defeated a strong Pakistan were stripped away like dead wood... to be replaced by dead wood. Giles later admitted that the team bus had been "a quiet place" on the way to the Gabba on the first morning of the series, and little wonder. With Andrew Flintoff also feeling his way back to fitness, England had done exactly what they vowed never to do again after the last Ashes Down Under, and loaded their team with unfit and unfocussed players.

That wide
    The contrast was so stark it was scary. At Lord's in 2005, Steve Harmison had torn into Australia's batsman, clattering Langer's elbow and drawing blood on Ricky Ponting's cheek. It was a skirmish that set the tone for the war that followed. This time, Harmison's first ball landed in the hands of his best mate, Andrew Flintoff, at second slip. In a single moment, the hype and the houpla had been sucked out of the stadium, to be replaced by a nagging, dreadful familiarity.

That drop
    Poor Ashley Giles may never play Test cricket again, and if he doesn't, he will take with him visions of that awful moment at Adelaide, when he let Ricky Ponting off the hook at the most critical moment of the tour. England had ground their way to a tedious but towering 551 for 6 declared, and Australia in reply were wobbling at 74 for 3. Ponting - still livid at a perceived beamer from Harmison - swished angrily at a long-hop from Hoggard, but Giles, ten yards in from the rope, couldn't cling on as he leapt. He went on to add another 107 runs.

Flintoff's isolation
    It's a lonely job being England captain, but the one thing that Andrew Flintoff was expected to bring to the show was camaraderie and the ethos of mateship. Sadly, nothing of the sort manifested itself in the performance of his key lieutenants. Marcus Trescothick never made it to the side, Andrew Strauss was mystifyingly out of sorts despite hardly looking out of form. Harmison was a lame duck throughout. And he never seemed to gel with his coach, either. Duncan Fletcher failed to cop the flak as he might have done for Nasser Hussain and Michael Vaughan, preferring instead to share the blame with his overworked skipper.

That win
    The single biggest factor in England's humiliation. Australia's desperation to atone for their loss in 2005 vastly outweighed any English desire to build on the foundations of that glorious summer. Australia were derided as Dad's Army by Ian Botham, but their selectors' faith in their old lags was fully justified. Warne admitted he would have quit after 2005 had the series gone his way. It's no wonder they were unstoppable in their bid for vengeance.

ReputationRep:
    oh well... a whitewash!
    so what did tou think of monty? I personally feel he played really well and his place in the england squad is secured, there is no chance of grandad giles coming back.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i made up my own ashes post-mortem! you (ayaz) just nicked it off of cricinfo!

ReputationRep:
    Yup
    I didn't say it was mine. Just posted it for everyone to see, coz I whole heartedly agree!

ReputationRep:
    yep. it is true

ReputationRep:
    What about India today?
    I thought they had the match in the bag on the first 2 days! Look at them now! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Anybody watch Steve Harmison's interview with Atherton Sky Sports?

Athers asked him the question "what are you going to do after the series to get prepared for the english summer?" and harmy replied with "i don't know, ask the coach".

WHATTTTTT?????????

This guy is supposed to be Englands best bowler, he used to be the no.1 in world and this is his attitude. Why is it that Harmison is waiting for the coach to tell them what to do? Fletcher is not going to be out there in the middle with him. When are these players going to to start taking RESPONIBILTY on their own game?

In contrast, Michael Atherton did an interview with Kevin Pieterson after the aussies won 5-0 and you could see the emotion and disspointment on his face. He HATED losing in that fashion and his frustration was clear to see. You could see tears forming in his eyes but he has too much pride to let them come out. Harmison showed no kind of emotion, it was like he wasn't bothered.

I think Harmison and some other England players need to take a good look at themselves, and ask themselves if the dedication is there.

Moving on...

If you compare Michael Hussey to Ian Bell or Andrew Strauss, I'd say that both english players have more batting ability then Hussey, yet Hussey is averaging about 90 with the bat, a lot more the Bell or Strauss in this series. There is a reason why they called him Mr. Cricket. He is totally dedicated to his profession. He will never give his wicket away cheaply, something that both Strauss and Bell have been guilty of this series.

The only england players that have shown any sort of character is Collingwood, Hoggard and Pieterson. I really Collingwood because he makes the most out of his ability, and is always prepared to fight it out and get "ugly" runs. KP had a fantastic series. Him dominating Warne in the 2nd test was amazing. Hoggard was a workhorse and played with his heart on his sleeve.

I'll continue my rant later...

ReputationRep:
    All 4 aussie bowlers got a lower average than the best english bowler (hoggard)

Warne got a better batting average than all the england side bar pieterson. Who was the second highest run scorer overal from both sides.

For arguments sake...Jones edged the batting over Read, but Read took more catches than Jones despite playing one less match.

And even though Ponting won man of the series (and the most runs of the series) he was still short by 67 runs of the total amount Vaughan got in the last ashes.

But to prove statistics arent everything, the best batter in the world 2006 according to batting averages? Jason Gillespie. The best English bowler in 2006 according to bowling averages? Shaun Udal!

Statistics are fun

ReputationRep:
    I want more rain in the India vs SA match - Prince and Kallis are currently in at 138/4 and only need another 73 runs. Khan's 2 quick wickets helped get rid of the established batsmen, but Kallis and Prince are both patient players, who are unlikely to do something rash - they only need to score at around 2 an over to win.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/6236469.stm

REALLY???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/6236469.stm

REALLY???
    Can't see it happening but it would of course be great for the England side if he was invovled in the set up in some way.

Just look at the effect Warne has had on Hampshire. And he will be spending the next 2 years there so it could be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    I want more rain in the India vs SA match - Prince and Kallis are currently in at 138/4 and only need another 73 runs. Khan's 2 quick wickets helped get rid of the established batsmen, but Kallis and Prince are both patient players, who are unlikely to do something rash - they only need to score at around 2 an over to win.
    No luck - well played Saffies to come back from 1 nil down to win the series...

ReputationRep:
    Whats happened to the India batting? It seems to be very average at the moment, Dravid is the only world class batsman at the moment and even he had a tough time in SA.

I think there are too many players in the team who do just enough to stay in and around the team, Ganguly, Laxman, Kaif and Yuvraj haven't had a decent run of form for a few years now. Jaffer and Dhoni look like they have a lot of potential but aren't really dependable as of yet. While Sehwag and Tendulkar seem hopelessly out of form.

India's strength in this series was their pace bowling. When was the last time that happened? :eek: Sreesanth and Munaf look like quality players while Kumble and Khan are both very reliable and steady experienced pros. Its a good balance.

As for SA, they aren't as good as they think they are. They consistently play some really average players. Good to see Pollock is still on top form. What a performer.

ReputationRep:
    I'll sum up the Indian innings in one word: pathetic. Why change the batting line up that was so successful in the first innings? What of their bowlers? Why not continue with Zaheer when he was getting wickets. Why not bring Sachin in with Kumble to slow the scoring rate. Why give SEHWAG and over? Why give Munaf Patel ONE over when he was maintaining such a tight line and length?

Like I said: pathetic.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.