Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Vincent causing me points! That *****!

ReputationRep:
    South Africa 138-1 (17 overs)
    SA to a flying start :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I can't WAIT for the Aus v SA match......

ReputationRep:
    im quite nervous about the Bangladesh vs Sri lanka match...
    SL could be the side who wins the WC, very able side...
    BD have had some great results lately but i'd hate to see them lose their confidence if they get trashed by SL

ReputationRep:
    I hope Bang win too!
    Make no mistake, SA are taking the World Cup home.

Rain rain go away! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    NZ and Kenya back on.

Come on Dan and Shane, 3 wickets a piece :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Would love to see BD won
    Would be interesting final match for SL vs India too :eek:

Apparently Jamaican Police are treating Bob Woolmers death as 'suspicious'! And there was me thinking you lot were just being all conspiratorial...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6473645.stm

ReputationRep:
    *im up early for another exciting day of cricket* :p:

this is sick...my exam is soon...i think it's a conspiracy against me to hold the world cup now...i'm a little too into this.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alasdair_R)
    Apparently Jamaican Police are treating Bob Woolmers death as 'suspicious'! And there was me thinking you lot were just being all conspiratorial...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6473645.stm
    hmmm...i'm curious...is there anything to it, i wonder? it would be outrageous if there really is something suspicious about his death.

(Original post by Ramsha)
    hmmm...i'm curious...is there anything to it, i wonder? it would be outrageous if there really is something suspicious about his death.
    Hrm. Now I've read that article in full, I'm in two minds. The police say they're treating it as suspicious, but claim that's routine. He was also apparently a diabetic, and his family are talking about a stress-induced heart attack.

ReputationRep:
    Hrm. Now I've read that article in full, I'm in two minds. The police say they're treating it as suspicious, but claim that's routine. He was also apparently a diabetic, and his family are talking about a stress-induced heart attack.
    i read all of it too...but I mean...why would the police even suggest that there may be something suspicious (and call it routine)...if there wasn't anything into it...the whole world has already developed theories related to his death...it doesn't help if the police add their bit to it lol...unless they mean it. :confused:

i read all of it too...but I mean...why would the police even suggest that there may be something suspicious (and call it routine)...if there wasn't anything into it...the whole world has already developed theories related to his death...it doesn't help if the police add their bit to it lol...unless they mean it. :confused:
    Indeed. Although to be honest, it might just be a policeman in Jamaica who's not used to a lot of media attention saying something that sounds more important than it is...

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Although to be honest, it might just be a policeman in Jamaica who's not used to a lot of media attention saying something that sounds more important than it is...
    haha yea good point! they tend to do that...:rolleyes:

still...do you think they will have a complete coroner's report released to the media etc, stating the cause of death...

ReputationRep:
    The circumstances are pretty suspicious, you have to admit.

I've seen first-hand just how fanatical, in particular, Pakistanis and Indians are, about the game. I spent 3 fantastic weeks in India only 18 months ago, and cricket is played everywhere, and me and a fellow traveller joined in with a group of about 40 - i'm sure you're all aware of the popularity of cricket in India and Pakistan anyways... Ahh good times.

Well, what i'm saying is that there is evidently some kind of cricketing fundamentalism with a section of some fans - burning effigys and wishing death upon those who have let them down. Like football is a religion to some here in the UK, cricket is like a religion to many in the Eastern world...and there are some that take their sporting religion to the extremes...

and therefore POSSIBLY some fanaticism has led to such a tragedy occuring. Anyway, i'm speculating, BUT...i do find it too coincidental, that Woolmer passes away only a day or so after Pakistan get knocked out of the world cup...particularly with losing to Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    They said it was suspicious the other dya though, and it was minor. Maybe BBC sport have nothing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)

and therefore POSSIBLY some fanaticism has led to such a tragedy occuring. Anyway, i'm speculating, BUT...i do find it too coincidental, that Woolmer passes away only a day or so after Pakistan get knocked out of the world cup...particularly with losing to Ireland.
    Lol yes...did you happen to notice the street cricket while you were in India?? You don't have people sticking up goals in the middle of roads/streets and playing football in the UK..whereas every other street is a make-believe cricket pitch...with chairs acting as wickets and houses acting as boundaries :p:

as for woolmer's death being coincidental...well...that it is...but the world is filled with coincidences... i'm hoping that the post-mortem report proves it to be just that...a coincidence...it really would be scary if there was more to it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yes...did you happen to notice the street cricket while you were in India?? You don't have people sticking up goals in the middle of roads/streets and playing football in the UK..whereas every other street is a make-believe cricket pitch...with chairs acting as wickets and houses acting as boundaries :p:

as for woolmer's death being coincidental...well...that it is...but the world is filled with coincidences... i'm hoping that the post-mortem report proves it to be just that...a coincidence...it really would be scary if there was more to it.
    I love India, cricket and everything else really, the colours! :cool: I played street-cricket with the urban poor, park cricket with the more affluent...

I have a great picture of a group of 15 or so teenagers, i played cricket with these guys, and they all gathered around for a group picture, holding bat, ball, etc...all celebrating and smiling. What a picture! A picture that shows just how much they love cricket over there...

Heheh, i played with the bat for 5 minutes, giving it a good smack now and then, with them shouting "Flintoff" or "Pieterson" at me :cool:

ReputationRep:

would you say Indians and Pakistanis are more fanatical about cricket, than Brits are about football?? Judging from what i've seen and heard, i'd say yes.
    What do you think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    would you say Indians and Pakistanis are more fanatical about cricket, than Brits are about football?? Judging from what i've seen and heard, i'd say yes.
    What do you think??
    No question.

The Brits don't expect their team to win the WC every time, the Indians and Pakistanis expect their team will win no matter how crap the team in question is.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.