Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Good attacking start lads, 5 runs off 5 overs, this is what one day cricket is all about.
    Ha! :rolleyes: excrutiatingly slow run rate- what are they thinking? Oh and there you go Vaughany gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Ley3)
    ^ :mad: :mad:

Ive had enough. when will they realise this stupid test match style batting DOSENT WORK FOR ONE DAYERS
    Your signature reflects England's performance today. (I know what you're thinking- when has it not? :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Go Straussy! :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Pietersen gone. Great.

Great. Really slow start puts us under pressure, Bell under pressure from good bowling and the captains bad batting hits his way out. Then Vaughan actually looks half decent but gets out. Now Kevin gone and we'll probably scrape 200 and lose by 6/7 wickets! :rolleyes:

Strauss effectively opening as Bell was out so early, and looking very good. Why does he not just open? He's a good captain too, maybe we should just drop Vaughan altogether, his captaincy has looked dodgy lately anyway. Taking 20 balls to get a run? Two good boundaries don't make up for that, he was nearly out to a short ball before then anyway!

Playing with Strauss I think Bell could be alright. From the first ball Bell looked to go forward. His slow run rate was just down to immense bowling, it was Vaughans fault really.

Not quite over yet, but very nearly... as the commentators have been saying, of all the top scoring batsmen in this world cup so far, only Styris isn't in the top three (there's Hayden, Ponting, Kallis, Jayasuriya etc) ... England really need to get their top three together. Botham keeps banging on about Flintoff batting as an opener as a having nothing to lose kind of thing. I personally wouldn't go for that, but something drastic needs to be done! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think we can rest assured that after today's inevitable loss, things will change drastically. Same old same old. Bat slowly. get under pressure. get out with very few runs on the board and very few balls left.

The england management has quashed a perfectly good set of players, who, left to their own devices, would probably play positively.

WUNKERS

Oh yeah, my sig :mad:

What makes you think things will change? This has been going on a LONG time, I hope it does change, but it wont.

The management just seem to be so negative. Joyce over Loye, not using Monty for so long, etc etc... and most importantly apparently telling our batsman to play slowly and safely, though this is so unnatural to them they get out anyway!

With a change in management hence attitude our team doesn't actually need to change much at all, one or two players really...

ReputationRep:
    The odd thing about this England side is that we are just so bad at getting singles and rotating the strike. Singles come so naturally for the other top sides but our batsmen have to play a great shot to score any runs at all. Don't even get me started on how bad we are at getting boundaries too :p:

We need these two to stay in until the 40thish over, then I guess we can have a late dart. I predict we'll get 230.

ReputationRep:
    The odd thing about this England side is that we are just so bad at getting singles and rotating the strike. Singles come so naturally for the other top sides but our batsmen have to play a great shot to score any runs at all. Don't even get me started on how bad we are at getting boundaries too :p:

We need these two to stay in until the 40thish over, then I guess we can have a late dart. I predict we'll get 230.
    230 it is for me as well. Provided Colly and Strauss put up a decent partnership ofcourse.

I'm watching (nearly) every ball, and I've noticed this too. Example our 5 runs off 5 overs, 4 of those were one shot. I was watching as ball after ball went outside off stump and were left, this is fair enough. But when one strayed onto the pads did we flick it on the on side for at least one run, or maybe 4? No. We tapped it back to the bowler. I could just picture a good batsman getting so many runs which we didn't. Then Strauss came in and has been batting normally, and hitting the odd boundary too when it's pitched short, good to see. Hence why we need him opening, I still don't get why he was dropped, he's an established ODI player for us surely and a few low totals shouldn't be changing that? :confused:

I doubt we'll make it to 40 overs without a wicket (though lack of spin helps us), Freddie wont do well. Maybe Bopara and Nixon will be in the runs again. I predict close to you but slightly less, 210.

ReputationRep:
    I think they will have to change things because of a couple of things

They haven't really had an ashes post mortem yet, they just flew out to the carribean. When they get back hopefully there will be a full review into why things went so badly. Along with that they should then consider the strife of the one day team. Maybe then this will give them the chance to think, 'why don't we send out someone to actually make use of the powerplays' and maybe they will.

I think there will be enough public outcry after today's match to warrant the axing of vaughan, and fletcher. And with that, maybe this old archaic type of crappy batting.

They're making it seem as if it's some sort of a minefield out there. It's really not.

ReputationRep:
    Vaughan is almost definitely gone, from the ODI captaincy definitely and probably the Test captaincy too. Strauss is the natural choice but I notice everyone saying Collingwood. I still think Strauss would be better, but perhaps it will be the latter who gets the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I was watching as ball after ball went outside off stump and were left, this is fair enough. But when one strayed onto the pads did we flick it on the on side for at least one run, or maybe 4? No. We tapped it back to the bowler. I could just picture a good batsman getting so many runs which we didn't
    Yep. And those balls outside offstump would be whacked to the cover/point boundary if your names glichrist/jayasuriya/smith/sehwag/nazir/fleming/nafees etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hence why we need him opening, I still don't get why he was dropped, he's an established ODI player for us surely and a few low totals shouldn't be changing that?
    Apparently the management didn't seem to think so. Getting in that unreliable Joyce into the top order wasn't such a lavish idea; true Strauss wasn't being productive but that didn't mean youd just dump him out without giving him chances :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Ley3)
    Yep. And those balls outside offstump would be whacked to the cover/point boundary if your names glichrist/jayasuriya/smith/sehwag/nazir/fleming/nafees etc etc.
    Even Nafees? :eek: Are we that bad? Egad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Vaughan is almost definitely gone, from the ODI captaincy definitely and probably the Test captaincy too. Strauss is the natural choice but I notice everyone saying Collingwood. I still think Strauss would be better, but perhaps it will be the latter who gets the job.
    Thing is Strauss has doen it before. Hence why he gets the nod from me.

ReputationRep:
    Kallis is being treated like he's Glenn McGrath :eek:

ReputationRep:
    So much for Kevin P and the whole 'I'm English, not South African, I'm gonna show you' scenario.

ReputationRep:
    I think SA will win this one; but it won't be easy! Still have my doubts though.

If only England would put up 230-250...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Y A Z)
    I think SA will win this one; but it won't be easy! Still have my doubts though.

If only England would put up 230-250...
    I dunno as well. They may shine with the ball :dontknow:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.