Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol see ya Stranded --

You were surprised about Vaughn?? -- he'z played crap for most of the world cup! :p:

ReputationRep:
    What a fecking disgrace.

Drop vaughan, drop bell, axe fletcher, and anyone else who thinks giving away consecutive maidens, and floods of dot balls throughout is Ok.

I'll never totally give up on this side for as long as I'm english. But unless someone actually goes out there and tells them to score runs then its going to be miserable for a long while.

ReputationRep:
    We did well to get up to the magic 150 mark. We were in big trouble at 111/3 but the middle order and the tail showed a lot of courage and added an unlikely 39 runs in the last 20 overs for only the loss of 7 wickets.

Agree with dropping Bell. I've never known such a hit and miss batsman. Hes not someone we can really build a team around. Get young Alastair in at 3, hes such a classy batsman.

ReputationRep:
    We were not in big trouble at 111/3 from there we should have been able to, with a couple of decent partnerships get past 200 easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pezking)
    3 wickets is what we need to have a chance, Smith, Kallis and Gibbs.

Not gonna happen but those 3 hold SA together
    Sadly SA have got other big hitters- the likes of Boucher, Kemp, Pollock :dontknow: It's going to be real challenge
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    anything is possible *reminicses about the Pakistan defeat by the Irish*

ReputationRep:
    England really shold have done better. After Strauss they just collapsed! I doubt the bowlers can save them now. No semis for England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    south africa should be more professional than pakistan though...no offence to pakistani's but they arent the most professional side...south africa should win this easy now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    Not to mention the Bangladesh mauling the Proteases :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas Ghata-Aura)
    south africa should be more professional than pakistan though...no offence to pakistani's but they arent the most professional side...south africa should win this easy now
    True but we can't forget the Bangladeshis making SA eat the dirt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Agree with dropping Bell. I've never known such a hit and miss batsman. Hes not someone we can really build a team around. Get young Alastair in at 3, hes such a classy batsman.
    I dunno about cook. He plays in just the same way as vaughan and bell, and would bring nothing new to our batting. If anything he's slightly slower. We need a radical shake up of the personnel, and the tactics. Maybe open with loye and someone like james benning from surrey. Then we should get off to a flyer, then maybe lose some wickets at about 70-80, which is still loads more than under this current regime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranded)
    True but we can't forget the Bangladeshis making SA eat the dirt...
    yeah but that was a slow wicket that was always going to get slower...and they have some decent spinners...england only have mudhsuden singh panesar

ReputationRep:
    by that above comment i mean monty is the only decent spinner they have...not that he isnt decent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranded)
    Sadly SA have got other big hitters- the likes of Boucher, Kemp, Pollock :dontknow: It's going to be real challenge
    Big hitters always give you chances, the 3 I highlighted can hold an innings together
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Panesar?! -- I remember him fielding really badly and causing most of the runs! -- hopefully he won't be like that today!
    and well you guys have mahmoud as well

ReputationRep:
    Cook can put the foot on the gas when he needs to. In the few ODIs hes played he was up at a run a ball while I saw him get 60 in 30 balls for Essex last year against my county.

I'm not sure if having Loye in the side would be worth it. As a short term measure for the world cup he would have been a great pick but the bumbling selectors decided to pack the squad full of crabs. We should be looking to build towards the next world cup now.

Benning is a decent pick, I rate him a lot. I think Prior should be given another chance too and perhaps Benham of Hampshire too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Cook can put the foot on the gas when he needs to. In the few ODIs hes played he was up at a run a ball while I saw him get 60 in 30 balls for Essex last year against my county.

I'm not sure if having Loye in the side would be worth it. As a short term measure for the world cup he would have been a great pick but the bumbling selectors decided to pack the squad full of crabs. We should be looking to build towards the next world cup now.

Benning is a decent pick, I rate him a lot. I think Prior should be given another chance too and perhaps Benham of Hampshire too.
    Ja Benham is a fine choice. He butchered a massive hundred and fifty something in the play off at the end of last season against Glam. Hopefully he should do a few more knocks like that for hants this year to get noticed.

Prior should probs be in yeah. When we tried with him opening before he always got at least a few boundaries in quick time before getting out which helped get the team off to a half decent start, which is more than can be said for todays openers who take plenty of balls, then go on to score no runs.

ReputationRep:
    14 off mahmoods 1st over...nice going

ReputationRep:
    SA 17-0 off 2 overs.

A fundamental difference between their batting and ours is that they seek to score runs. Damnit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes. I know the Paki team is very unprofessional. Anyhow. the proteas haven't lost any wicket as yet. And I really do think that SA can give the aussies a better fight than the English.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.