Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Ley3)
    I don't think some of the bowlers i.e. panesar can really be blamed. He just put it on it's usual spot, except this time the batsmen dispatched it, as opposed to giving the respect england would.
    Panesar bowled some absolute howlers today! I'm referring particularly to an absolute clanger of a ball that he allowed Smith to bury for 4.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Just seen these in the BBC commentary...

From Jon Williams in New York, TMS inbox: "Sometimes when I do bad things at my job, I simply say I've done a Saj and we all chuckle along."
    From Mark Piercy, TMS inbox: "I still believe we can do it. I once saw a team lose 9 wickets for less than 50 runs... oh wait, it was England."
    From James Charlick, TMS inbox: "I'm thinking I need to turn to a different, less harrowing sport the British are somewhat better at. Do you know what we're like with paper planes?"
    Rhodes version: "South Africa in desperate trouble - almost 50 runs still needed, and just 37 overs in which to get them. Lose another wicket now and they're toast."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asad.H)
    Good decision in my opinion. Finally they go for someone young and energetic instead of focusing on experience alone. I was afraid they'd name Mohammad Yousuf.
    Malik, Yousuf and Gul are the only ones really assured of a place in both test and OD sides at this moment in time. It was never going to be a fast bowler so it was always between the two batsmen.

Malik has been hotly tipped as a future captain for a while, he captains his regional side in Pakistan and Wooler was impressed with him. So it seems a fair choice but it is a huge job considering what a shambles Pakistan have become in recent months.

Why is there such a stigma over Youhana captaining anyway? Hes a terrific test player and has done the job a few times. At 32 he isn't that old. It just seems to be a popular perception that he'll be a **** captain without much evidence.

ReputationRep:
    First two are quality!

ReputationRep:
    england must not blame their bowlers if their batsman cant bat and put up a decent score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike89)
    england must not blame their bowlers if their batsman cant bat and put up a decent score!
    You can blame both. The top order was **** and the bowling attack was equally ****. :p:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt be suprised if this is vaughans last tournament as an ODI player...anyone else agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Malik, Yousuf and Gul are the only ones really assured of a place in both test and OD sides at this moment in time. It was never going to be a fast bowler so it was always between the two batsmen.

Malik has been hotly tipped as a future captain for a while, he captains his regional side in Pakistan and Wooler was impressed with him. So it seems a fair choice but it is a huge job considering what a shambles Pakistan have become in recent months.

Why is there such a stigma over Youhana captaining anyway? Hes a terrific test player and has done the job a few times. At 32 he isn't that old. It just seems to be a popular perception that he'll be a **** captain without much evidence.
    what about younis? im sure they'll keep him seeing that they don't have many established batsman left anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Younis is out.
    Imran Farhat, Salman Butt, Abul Razzaq, Afridi, Yousuf, Gul, Malik, Mohammed Asif are in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Y A Z)
    Younis is out.
    Imran Farhat, Salman Butt, Abul Razzaq, Afridi, Yousuf, Gul, Malik, Mohammed Asif are in.
    why is younis out?

ReputationRep:
    Something happened... I'm not sure what :/

ReputationRep:
    younis was dissapointed with the pakistani publics reaction to players when they returned home...what else did he expect lol they lost to ireland?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas Ghata-Aura)
    younis was dissapointed with the pakistani publics reaction to players when they returned home...what else did he expect lol they lost to ireland?!
    Thats a stupid reason to leave. That's a massive blow to the pakistan batting line up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike89)
    what about younis? im sure they'll keep him seeing that they don't have many established batsman left anyway?
    Hes already ruled himself out, hasn't he. There was also talk that he was going to retire from ODIs.

On paper he seemed to be the best option though.

ReputationRep:
    it wont last...younis will be back soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Hes already ruled himself out, hasn't he. There was also talk that he was going to retire from ODIs.

On paper he seemed to be the best option though.
    You reckon?

Yousuf seems to be their best batsman on paper right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)
    You reckon?

Yousuf seems to be their best batsman on paper right now.
    yousuf is very consistent in test matches...especially last year.

is inzy still gonna play tests? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas Ghata-Aura)
    yousuf is very consistent in test matches...especially last year.

is inzy still gonna play tests? :confused:
    apparently so. whether he gets picked or not is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)
    You can blame both. The top order was **** and the bowling attack was equally ****. :p:
    i agree!

Shame I had to work at 6, sounds like I missed some comedy.

I quickly saw some cricket talk this morning and somebody said how Jamie may play as a second spin option, and who would be axed for his place. Then somebody replied either Bopara (yes that's it, axe the man in form) or Anderson seeing as Mahmoods been in such great form this world cup and has come of age?!?!?!

I really don't understand this Mahmood hype. When I first saw him my reaction was that he was quick, had potential, has serious control issues. A year or so onwards and he still sprays it down legside constantly. BLOODY DROP HIM ALREADY!!!

Hopefully this match will bring about the two changes we need. To drop Vaughan and to drop Mahmood. We'd still have lots of problems, but they generally involve players worth keeping e.g. Flintoffs batting form, our keeper being a bit old for the long term, Montys bowling being a bit worse than usual. May be worth dropping Anderson and Bell too, if we could actually find suitable replacements... I'll keep a look out this county season! (I discovered Broard before our selectors.) :cool:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.