The Cricket Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well - you have to say mcgrath getting injured was a big boost to us though, as following this he never seemed the same...
if you're going about merging threads cindy - why not add in the ashes one and the pakistan test tis me lord closed - will get the numbers up a bit and save clutter.etc.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I think they played well enough, especially Warne, had a series of a lifetime and it still wasn't enough.

Our pace attack was immense, especially when Jones was playing.

Keep in mind that England were close to winning the first match, a few 6's off... if somebody like Flintoff had hit those before getting out you may be saying things very differently.

--------------

I dunno, maybe less people like cricket, but those who do tend to like it with more of a passion. In places like Pakistan/ India it's their national sport, wherever people play football they tend to play other stuff too which diverts the passion of it away....

Basially we'll have a few people here making thousands of posts. :p:
Then it will be all nice and cosy.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You really think they played well enough !

Obviously you havent seen Aussies play much then !

Gillespie dint bowl as he does they were efffectively 1 bowler down !

Martyn, Katich got some shocking decisions !

Their opening batsman Hayden did not perform any where near potential !

They underperformed :eek: :rolleyes: !

Thanks for merging the threads !

I think they played well enough, especially Warne, had a series of a lifetime and it still wasn't enough.

Our pace attack was immense, especially when Jones was playing.

Keep in mind that England were close to winning the first match, a few 6's off... if somebody like Flintoff had hit those before getting out you may be saying things very differently.

--------------

I dunno, maybe less people like cricket, but those who do tend to like it with more of a passion. In places like Pakistan/ India it's their national sport, wherever people play football they tend to play other stuff too which diverts the passion of it away....

Basially we'll have a few people here making thousands of posts. :p:
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Let's talk more about West Indies vs Aussies!

I'm rooting for West Indies because I feel sorry for them really, sad to see a team get so much worse. They did really well to get Austalia something like 295-8, but then they ended up getting a lead! They should have got even more actually, McGrath had a moment of madness at the end there, it was as if he'd confused himself with someone who can bat. :rolleyes:

Then they went and got an early wicket, and Lee was looking unstoppable. I think he'll be VITAL to the Aussies when Warne and McGrath retire at around the same time, because his line/length is improving, as well as having pace only matched by Shoiab.

Sarwan finally got more then just a start, but a second wickets down.

Does anyone think they stand a chance? I'd day probably not... they really needed to get that lead of 100 or so, but instead Australia got one of about 20! They need Lara to do the same as the first innings to win now, and that's not gonna happen. Chanderpaul and Bravo can be decent, but against this bowling attack I doubt they'll get past the 200's overall. Then Aussies should knock it off for a couple of wickets max.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It must be frustrating for lara to be so essential to the teams performance, although sarwan seems to be standing up at the moment...
Where chris gayle by the way? I haven't been keeping up to date with WI cricket, but surely he would be the first name on the list bar lara!
Hussey is an amazing player though - if you can remember in the one dayers before the ashes he was consistently scoring unbeaten 70+ scores - a truly amazing batsman.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Too much politics in WI cricket !
Sponsorship rows etc

They are improving however you do expect them to lose to Aussies !
How can u feels sorry for a team that do not perfom to potential ie look at batsman Gayle, Chanderpaul etc never seem to do much at all
tis_me_lord
(Original post by bikerx23)
well - you have to say mcgrath getting injured was a big boost to us though, as following this he never seemed the same...
if you're going about merging threads cindy - why not add in the ashes one and the pakistan test tis me lord closed - will get the numbers up a bit and save clutter.etc.
Clutter? They're probably off the page by now. I wouldn't bother merging those, it's cheating, especially to add the ashes one!

Ok, Aussies may have underperformed, but a lot of it was created by us. You say openers didnt do well, Katich didn't, Gilchrist didn't either. But a lot of that was down to English homework. We sussed the weaknesses of them all and bowled with good dicipline to it, keeping it just outside off to Gilchrist or Katich, and getting edges out of them.

Maybe McGrath/Gillespie being injured/getting too old to be effective was more down to luck, but that's all part of the game and you can't deny it was a great victory for England. You could say Vaughan or Strauss missing games means Pakistan don't deserve their results... but that would be untrue and unfair, and the same applies for the ashes.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All im saying is they underperformed !

Hayden never does he bat like that his own fault similarly their middle order !

Eng bowled well but Aussies had the potential to easily play that looking at past performances, time line up etc
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nah I will leave the **** fest where it is and keep this thread nice and happy.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Clutter? They're probably off the page by now. I wouldn't bother merging those, it's cheating, especially to add the ashes one!

Ok, Aussies may have underperformed, but a lot of it was created by us. You say openers didnt do well, Katich didn't, Gilchrist didn't either. But a lot of that was down to English homework. We sussed the weaknesses of them all and bowled with good dicipline to it, keeping it just outside off to Gilchrist or Katich, and getting edges out of them.

Maybe McGrath/Gillespie being injured/getting too old to be effective was more down to luck, but that's all part of the game and you can't deny it was a great victory for England. You could say Vaughan or Strauss missing games means Pakistan don't deserve their results... but that would be untrue and unfair, and the same applies for the ashes.
well - it couldn't do any harm

you cant claim that some players in the aussie camp underperformed - Hayden was planned for perfectly - vaughan put the guy in to stop him driving, cramped him up and as a result he kept his arms too close and mis-judged hoggards swing too often.
they also found a line for bowling at Glichrist that did the job - flintoff over the wicket swinging it both ways had him all at sea - remember for left-handers it gives the bowlers less to aim at LBW style.etc., so the change in angle will obviously warn him of the greater area of danger.

McGrath and Gillespie are just getting past it to be honest - I'm surprised Kasparowitch (sp?) didn't play more, as he is a very good bowler, and obviously under rated by the aussie coaching staff. Tait will be good with time too...but it still looks like he's chucking it to me...
tis_me_lord
It must be frustrating for lara to be so essential to the teams performance, although sarwan seems to be standing up at the moment...
Where chris gayle by the way? I haven't been keeping up to date with WI cricket, but surely he would be the first name on the list bar lara!
Hussey is an amazing player though - if you can remember in the one dayers before the ashes he was consistently scoring unbeaten 70+ scores - a truly amazing batsman.
Gayle is having an ooperation to solve a blood problem or something. I think. :eek: :confused:

Anyway, hope he gets better, and gets back into the team soon because they need every bit of help they can get if they want to claw their way into victories against top teams again. Especially if Lara retires soon.

Hussey is amazing, there's plenty of Aussies who would walk into any other side but struggle to get into the team, eg Law.

(Original post by pete77)
Too much politics in WI cricket !
Sponsorship rows etc

They are improving however you do expect them to lose to Aussies !
How can u feels sorry for a team that do not perfom to potential ie look at batsman Gayle, Chanderpaul etc never seem to do much at all
I think this is good for them actually, they did some great catches and showed great passion for a while. Playing the best seems to have brought out their best as well, and Lara 226 speaks for itself. It's a shame that as soon as Aussies fought back again tonnes of mistakes crept in, the easiest caght and bowled chances you'll ever see went down etc... they need to stay motivated no matter what, that's what makes a great team eg Pakistan beating us in the first test was because of that in the final day.

Their batting may underperform but it's their bowling which is the real crisis. For a start no spinner. We can insult Giles all we want, but at least we have somebody we can trust enough to use vs the best in the world. What will Indies do when they tour a south Asian country?

Then they only have a couple of decent fast bowlers, and their opening ones are poor, though Edwards has his days...
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They did underperform !

They are great batsman they should easily have coped with the tactics Eng set !

I think the next series will prove it if Eng's current performance is not !
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I honestly think the deserving result for the test so far would have been 1-1 - but the teams winning the tests they didn't!
England should have had the first test in the bag, and Pakistan should have taken england apart at the last test.
Also...does anyone else think dropping clarke from the aussie team is a bad idea - I rated him much more highly than some of the other middle order batsmen they aussies had...
tis_me_lord
(Original post by Cindy)
Nah I will leave the **** fest where it is and keep this thread nice and happy.
Good point. There was a lot of whining of racism etc which doesn't belong in the ultimate cricket thread. :p:

Then the ashes thread has people being mean about Bell.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In places like Pakistan/ India it's their national sport,
A common mistake. India and Pakistan's national sport is hockey. But cricket is far the most followed sport.

btw, Gayle is having a heart operation.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
tis not true - I was being mean about the selectors - its not bells fault he cant bat (obviously he's had a few lessons since the end of the ashes though )
tis_me_lord
I honestly think the deserving result for the test so far would have been 1-1 - but the teams winning the tests they didn't!
England should have had the first test in the bag, and Pakistan should have taken england apart at the last test.
Also...does anyone else think dropping clarke from the aussie team is a bad idea - I rated him much more highly than some of the other middle order batsmen they aussies had...
Yes, Clarke is young and looked good. He just needs more time to improve. Dropping him was a bad idea I think.

I don't see how England are showing terrible form, before this they'd won how many series in a row? At least 6 I think.

Playing Pakistan in Pakistan is always hard because they're completly different wickets, and they have the right bwling for it, i.e. good spinners and full length pace, whereas we rely on more bounce and getting the edges on bouncier wickets.

We came close in the first match, and drew the second. We could be 1-0 with just 22 more runs, which shoul have come easily. I wouldn't say English cricket is at a crisis.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
LOL

Eng deserved to lose the first test, look at how diabollically they batted, disgraceful, Good Pak bowling though !

Eng deserved to lose the second test as well, Good pressured bowling and they were struglling to save it 20-4 should have been 50 all out if it wasnt for the middle order saving them and their time wasting tactics !

Should have been 2-0 down ! They are not convincing enough to be Ashes winners or no 1/2 in the world !

--------------

Even if they win to draw test 3 the series has been dismal for them !
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't see how England are showing terrible form, before this they'd won how many series in a row? At least 6 I think.

Playing Pakistan in Pakistan is always hard because they're completly different wickets, and they have the right bwling for it, i.e. good spinners and full length pace, whereas we rely on more bounce and getting the edges on bouncier wickets.
Yep 6 in a row.

England aren't in crisis, they are missing Jones no doubt. Playing two spinners was a mistake, especially as both of them are crap.

Now that Pakistan have given England a run for their money, beating India will be a whole lot harder - India are famous for pitches cracking up on day 1 - and indian have the bowlers to exploit it.
tis_me_lord
(Original post by Socrates)
A common mistake. India and Pakistan's national sport is hockey. But cricket is far the most followed sport.

btw, Gayle is having a heart operation.
Actually, now you've said that I often see them in hockey matches, but I never watch it much because I don't like the sport.... so I just assumed it was cricket because they go totally mental over it. :p:

tis not true - I was being mean about the selectors - its not bells fault he cant bat (obviously he's had a few lessons since the end of the ashes though )
He could bat during the ashes as well, he showed it in one innings using the same style which has worked so well in Pakistan thus far. It's just that Australias bowling was too good for him so early in his career, but it looks like he learnt a lot from it, like I said he would. I honestly think he's better then Pietersen, who relies more on luck whenever he gets a large total.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.08%
Leave (277)
20.92%

Watched Threads