Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Great batting by Mortaza... 42 off 22 :eek:
    Becoming somewhat of an all rounder almost (if he can improve on building innings too considering he can do the power hitting :p:)
    But yea, just back from an injury and we cant always try and rely on Mortaza so fair enough..
    India set a total which was far too high for Bangladesh... again Bashar + Omar needing too many balls to get a modest score and the youngster being rash and throwing away wicket (like Aftab)
    Ah well... thats twice that Bangladesh have managed to post scores 200+ whereas in the past Bangladesh have been bowled out for much lower scores...

ReputationRep:
    4 6's in 1 over......amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    Somewhat convincing win for India today.

Even Mortaza played today, but he didn't seem to much of a help to the bowling attack. Had a fair bit of a hit on the bat though.

Biggie, as for your comment about Gambhir opening - What you think of today's performance?
    Well he played well didn't he! I'm pleased. But I'm still a bigger fan of Uthappa. I'd sub in Ganguly for Sehwag - the man is becoming a joke now. Getting himself out with horrible, unnecessary swipes. So Ganguly and one of Gambhir/Uthappa opening (for the experience/youth combo). As they say, its a good selection headache to have.

My main issue with Gambhir was his inconsistency the last time he was given a run. Hopefully he can correct that or I feel Uthappa should get an extended run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    Well he played well didn't he! I'm pleased. But I'm still a bigger fan of Uthappa. I'd sub in Ganguly for Sehwag - the man is becoming a joke now. Getting himself out with horrible, unnecessary swipes. So Ganguly and one of Gambhir/Uthappa opening (for the experience/youth combo). As they say, its a good selection headache to have.

My main issue with Gambhir was his inconsistency the last time he was given a run. Hopefully he can correct that or I feel Uthappa should get an extended run.
    uthappa should deffo play...ok he had a poor WC but which indian didnt lol? before that he was playing well...and hes young...ive always backed sehwag but i agree he is a joke now...

ReputationRep:

No, Ganguly should have nothing to do with cricket anymore as far as I'm concerned. If Sehwag doesn't pick up his form, I would go for a Uthappa and Gambhir opening batsmen try-out. I mean, nothing is working so far, so why not give it a go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    No, Ganguly should have nothing to do with cricket anymore as far as I'm concerned. If Sehwag doesn't pick up his form, I would go for a Uthappa and Gambhir opening batsmen try-out. I mean, nothing is working so far, so why not give it a go?
    Well if you wan't to plan exclusively for the next world cup then yeah he probably shouldn't play. But if you want a chance of doing well on tours like England and Australia, its probably too early to write him off. Depends what you want to achieve I guess. I can guarantee a combo of Uthappa/Gambhir, while an exciting prospect on flatter subcontinent pitches, will run into problems with seam and swing in England or bounce in Australia. It's always useful to have an experienced opener (see Jayasuria/Tharanga).

And anyway, my first choice no.1 for India is Tendulkar. Back where he is most successful - maximise his time at the crease and all that. Its evident that Chappel kept him away from his favourite positon. Consolidation is a task for other players in the middle order.

ReputationRep:
    maybe im the only person in the world who thinks this but i reckon india should appoint a new, younger captain who is more attacking, personally i would go for yuvraj singh...he is one guy who has a safe place in the test and odi side and i think has potential to be a really good captain...

as regards tendulkar...i dont think he has the hunger anymore...he doesnt know where his best position is so what chance does the coach have?

indian cricket is a joke at the moment and a few wins over bangladesh shouldnt paper over the cracks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas Ghata-Aura)
    maybe im the only person in the world who thinks this but i reckon india should appoint a new, younger captain who is more attacking, personally i would go for yuvraj singh...he is one guy who has a safe place in the test and odi side and i think has potential to be a really good captain...

as regards tendulkar...i dont think he has the hunger anymore...he doesnt know where his best position is so what chance does the coach have?

indian cricket is a joke at the moment and a few wins over bangladesh shouldnt paper over the cracks
    Do you have a serious problem with Dravid? I know he hasn't taken the world by storm, but neither has he made huge errors. Yuvraj has enough on his plate with his batting (much talent, not converting) but he's definitely the future captain (as Sehwag once was).

Tendulkar knows where he wants to bat - opening. Wright recognised this and reinstated him to that position and it paid off in the WC and subsequently. Chappel shoved him down the order stating "opening is an easy job" and wanted him to carry the middle order when Dravid was already the experienced head there. 262/384 matches opening - its where he has 37 of his 41 hundreds, its where he's arguably won most matches for India. For what remains of his career, it would be a waste to see him consolidate in the middle order.

Yes, I agree, clean sweeping against Bangladesh isn't anything really (IF they win the next one).

P.S. Some incredibly gentle pushes going for six off Yuvraj's blade today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    Though it sounds harsh... if Bashar got injured then i think someone like Ashraful would become captain, which could be a good thing (assuming long term, otherwise perhaps they'd just give Rafique just for temp)

Last 10 overs, the run rate is 6.7 by my calculation but they do have 5 wickets in hand...
    could be close!
    This is probably Bashar's last one day series. He will retire solely because of all the pressure created by the media and the public when he still has a good two years left in him. I agree he is a defensive captain and looks useless at the moment as a batsman but it's his influence that counts. The boys are just in their post teens. They are not only maturing as a cricketer but also maturing as a person. Bashar was always there to guide them on and more importantly off the field.

The selectors said Ashraful will be the next captain which I think will be a big mistake. He has just started to play to his potential. They should not put any additional burden on him. He was never a captain material anyway (neither was Bashar) and you may have noticed that he is quite media shy. Nafees is different but he is out of form at the moment.

I think the priority should be given on how we can build on the success of the World Cup in the next couple of series rather than finding a team for 2011. With Whatmore going and Bashar retiring from ODIs, we might go through another turbulent phase which won't be good for the boys’ confidence.

Regarding the first match, we almost had them. Some run out opportunities were wasted and the field setting was awful when they were 144/5. We allowed too many easy singles. That's a problem with Bashar's captaincy. He prefers to wait for the opportunity rather than to create one. Someone else e.g. Ireland's captain (I rate him quite high) would have gone for the kill at that time!

I won't be disappointed with the whitewash. We still have a long way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Squad for the first test...
    Strauss*
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Shah
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Plunkett
    Harmison
    Hoggard
    Panesar

So who misses out? It looked to be a straight forward decision between Plunkett and Shah but now Flintoff has an injury doubt over him.

ReputationRep:
    kabir ali takes 8 wickets in the day against lancashire. I find that absolutely ridiculous given that he is an absolute **** who serves up nothing but half trackers and half volleys at less than 80 mph and has let england down on virtually every occasion. I sincerely hope that england see this as nothing more than a fluke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HorrorShow)
    kabir ali takes 8 wickets in the day against lancashire. I find that absolutely ridiculous given that he is an absolute **** who serves up nothing but half trackers and half volleys at less than 80 mph and has let england down on virtually every occasion. I sincerely hope that england see this as nothing more than a fluke.
    Story of all englands bowlers to be honest, bar hoggard and flintoff. All moments of goodness with common utter crap( anderson, mahmood, harmison etc).
    I think this season really is the is the make or break season for harmison. if he has another nuff seaseon, they really need to replace him as they have been carrying him for the past few series'

(Original post by HorrorShow)
    This is merely a battle of the worst team vs the second worst team so far this season. I doubt anyone will care about it too much... Kabir Ali has done very little else until now.

Harmie on the other hand, is looking quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    This is merely a battle of the worst team vs the second worst team so far this season. I doubt anyone will care about it too much... Kabir Ali has done very little else until now.

Harmie on the other hand, is looking quite good.
    yeah harmison has been looking awesome. Hopefully he fires for england.

I'm a bit disappointed in that the weather hasn't been too good for matches in the county championship so far (no doubt lancashire will blame this for another trophy-less season :p:)

I can't watch the start of the test match tomorow damnit, but I'd expect it not to pose too many problems for england.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the first test tomorrow. I hope Fred is in though :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Why has Chris Read been sidelined again? I thought England fans were all for him replacing Jones? Unless I'm missing something...

ReputationRep:
    Why has Chris Read been sidelined again? I thought England fans were all for him replacing Jones? Unless I'm missing something...
    They are both inadequate and should be nowhere near international cricket.

Thankfully thats now been realised and we now have a decent player in Prior in the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    They are both inadequate and should be nowhere near international cricket.

Thankfully thats now been realised and we now have a decent player in Prior in the team.
    Right...so what has Prior done to show he is international stuff that the other two didn't? Also, are these three the best wicketkeepers in the country? If so...then this one better be good coz otherwise...

well, england effectively lose a batsman in the lineup.

ReputationRep:
    Right...so what has Prior done to show he is international stuff that the other two didn't? Also, are these three the best wicketkeepers in the country? If so...then this one better be good coz otherwise...
    Well Priors been the best candidate on the county circuit and plays for the best team in the country. Scoring good runs and keeping especially well to Mushtaq Ahmed, I think hes a class apart from Read and Jones. You can never really tell if a player will be able to step up to international level but I think he will. Hes a very confident player.

There are a few other contenders in the mix. The problem with the WK debates is that county fans always seem to tout their own keeper. I think there are realistically four other candidates who may challenge if Prior does fall away.
    Foster - Played test cricket a few years back and has improved since then. Is the best keeper in the country imo. Bit stodgy with the bat which I think is the reason he has missed out.
    Batty - Opens the batting for Surrey and scores runs also a very tidy keeper. Age seems to have ruled him out and maybe the feeling that he benefits from playing on one of the best batting surfaces in the country as a home pitch.
    Davies - Young prospect who went on an A tour in the winter. Good batsman but a bit quiet behind the stumps and a bit scrappy.
    Ambrose - Was at Sussex under Moores a few years back, he was rated as a better player than Prior at one point but his batting went to pieces and he ended up at Warwickshire. Hes scored a lot of runs towards the back end of last season and scored a 250* recently to put himself into contention.

I don't think we'll ever see Read and Jones in the england team again which can only be a good thing. Nixon might get a go in the Twenty20 WC but I dont think he'll play test cricket.

It looks like Fred will be out tomorrow. I expect Panesar to be dropped and for us to go with a four man pace attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Well Priors been the best candidate on the county circuit and plays for the best team in the country. Scoring good runs and keeping especially well to Mushtaq Ahmed, I think hes a class apart from Read and Jones. You can never really tell if a player will be able to step up to international level but I think he will. Hes a very confident player.

There are a few other contenders in the mix. The problem with the WK debates is that county fans always seem to tout their own keeper. I think there are realistically four other candidates who may challenge if Prior does fall away.
    Foster - Played test cricket a few years back and has improved since then. Is the best keeper in the country imo. Bit stodgy with the bat which I think is the reason he has missed out.
    Batty - Opens the batting for Surrey and scores runs also a very tidy keeper. Age seems to have ruled him out and maybe the feeling that he benefits from playing on one of the best batting surfaces in the country as a home pitch.
    Davies - Young prospect who went on an A tour in the winter. Good batsman but a bit quiet behind the stumps and a bit scrappy.
    Ambrose - Was at Sussex under Moores a few years back, he was rated as a better player than Prior at one point but his batting went to pieces and he ended up at Warwickshire. Hes scored a lot of runs towards the back end of last season and scored a 250* recently to put himself into contention.

I don't think we'll ever see Read and Jones in the england team again which can only be a good thing. Nixon might get a go in the Twenty20 WC but I dont think he'll play test cricket.

It looks like Fred will be out tomorrow. I expect Panesar to be dropped and for us to go with a four man pace attack.
    Ok, thanks. That was really helpful.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.