Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling a bit of cloud cover tomorrow morning (as there usually is at Leeds) and England may end up with something between 400 and 425. Still a good total given WI poor batting lineup and Sarwan probably unable to bat until the fall of the fifth wicket.

We have enough, follow ons are gay anyway, as Somersets match is proving. The bowlers just get tired and the batsmen are ultra determined.

Way better to bat again, leave a day and a session for them to get 350-400 runs (unattainable) and try to bowl them out with fresh bowlers.

In my opinion, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to change my nationality :mad:

ReputationRep:
    KP on 147 :cool: Hopefully we'll declare soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)
    KP on 147 :cool: Hopefully we'll declare soon.
    Why? 411/5 isn't that dominant position considering WI scored 430ish last week. I'd be looking to get as close to 550 as we can.

KP has got out three times on 158 in his test career, do you think he'll beat it today? :p:

Bangladesh!! They've lost 4 wickets already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Why? 411/5 isn't that dominant position considering WI scored 430ish last week. I'd be looking to get as close to 550 as we can.
    Because the Windies are weakened in their batting by the loss of Sarwan and we need to start bowling today if we're going to prevent the match going to a draw.

Well there's the 158 gone. Double hundred, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Because the Windies are weakened in their batting by the loss of Sarwan and we need to start bowling today if we're going to prevent the match going to a draw.
    Today is day 2. Its not even lunchtime. England will bat at least until tea if Pietersen is still there, and a bit longer if he's out by then. 3 days should be plenty to roll the Windies over twice (given there's no rain).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    Today is day 2. Its not even lunchtime. England will bat at least until tea if Pietersen is still there, and a bit longer if he's out by then. 3 days should be plenty to roll the Windies over twice (given there's no rain).
    I don't agree. Mainly because we gave ourselves pretty much 3 days last time and didn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    If we declare now on 430 then it means we'll have to bat again, we may as well score runs now when the pitch is still quite good and we're scoring quickly.

Rain may play a part later in the game, sure, but theres still enough time for us to score runs and put us in a dominating position.

ReputationRep:
    52 for 5...
    woo Bangladesh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    52 for 5...
    woo Bangladesh?
    ;console;

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree. Mainly because we gave ourselves pretty much 3 days last time and didn't do it.
    Perhaps you missed the rain last time round? And you just brought up the point about Sarwan not batting, so surely England would need less time?

Agreed.

If we're going to win: we might as well try to force the follow-on as we're scoring quickly. But then, big bowling performance then needed. Will be interesting to see whether Vaughan has the faith in his bowlers to declare in time to beat this weather. Especially want to see how he uses any attacking spin with Panesar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    Perhaps you missed the rain last time round? And you just brought up the point about Sarwan not batting, so surely England would need less time?
    England are a side that need a longer spell bowling than other teams so I'd say, with the current total we have, we should be looking to declare soon and get our bowlers in to see if they can get early wickets. If the Windies are weakened it would make it more sensible to get them in earlier than to get a huge total that probably isn't needed.

I didn't miss the rain last time but with the current state of the weather it doesn't look too unlikely that it will rain during this test in which case we need to get them in sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    England are a side that need a longer spell bowling than other teams so I'd say, with the current total we have, we should be looking to declare soon and get our bowlers in to see if they can get early wickets. If the Windies are weakened it would make it more sensible to get them in earlier than to get a huge total that probably isn't needed.

I didn't miss the rain last time but with the current state of the weather it doesn't look too unlikely that it will rain during this test in which case we need to get them in sooner rather than later.
    I wouldn't say further runs are unnecessary. The follow on target is 300 atm, which isn't that much. If it were 350, it would give England a better chance of not batting again. It would waste more valuable time if England were forced to bat again and set the target rather than forcing a follow on.

Another 50 runs would be enough I say, which shouldn't take too long with KP in there.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there's any way of watching the highlights on the internet of the England test? I can't get channel 5 on my TV and I'd love to see the highlights.
    Cheers in advance

ReputationRep:
    SECOND NPOWER TEST, HEADINGLEY:
    England 570-7 dec v West Indies 902-5
    lol @ the type

ReputationRep:
    94-6

Huzzah :cool:

ReputationRep:
    WI = Bangladesh? :eek:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.