Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    He's definitely a better player than Yuvraj (in Tests) and arguably a better player than Ganguly too. He's also a better player of fast bowling than these two. If India go in with six batsman, he should be one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    He's definitely a better player than Yuvraj (in Tests) and arguably a better player than Ganguly too. He's also a better player of fast bowling than these two. If India go in with six batsman, he should be one of them.
    hmm id rather yuvraj and ganguly ahead of laxman...ganguly has been top since his return and yuvraj still has a lot to offer...he was in very good form before his knee injury and since then hasnt really recovered. laxman isnt a bad guy to come in though

ReputationRep:
    Laxman, Ganguly, Yuvraj :toofunny: We wont mind playing any of them tbh.

Will India be playing a 4 or 5 man attack in England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I guarantee one of those will amass big runs on this tour.
    Dravid loves a 5 man attack. So probably that. It also depends on how the first couple of tests go. They will bolster the batting/bowling as necessary. If both fail, then it won't really matter!

ReputationRep:

4 definitely...this 5 man attack was only for the bangladesh tour im sure. and dont worry mate, im sure dravid and tendulkar will score all the runs we need!

ReputationRep:
    Dravid is the only Indian batsman I'm that concerned about really. Tendulkar hasn't really been in much form since he came back from injury and a few 100s against Bangladesh doesn't really change my mind on that front.

I think the test series depends on our bowling attack really. If Hoggard, Flintoff and Harmison are firing then it will be easy for England. Otherwise it will just be a batsman series.

ReputationRep:
    Dravid is the only Indian batsman I'm that concerned about really. Tendulkar hasn't really been in much form since he came back from injury and a few 100s against Bangladesh doesn't really change my mind on that front.
    Equally, we can't read into England's run fests against the Windies!
    These two teams are on opposite paths. England is rejuvenating its side with youth while India's main pillars (Kumble, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid) are heading towards retirement. It will be youth vs experience in a way.

ReputationRep:

I think the test series depends on our bowling attack really. If Hoggard, Flintoff and Harmison are firing then it will be easy for England. Otherwise it will just be a batsman series.
    keep dreaming mate. you know you're still clutching on to that ashes series against australia arent you? you know the one...the one where you managed to fluke a few wins and suddenly you think you're the best side in the world? we'll let the cricket do the talking soon enough when India are here and i'm sure it wont be 'easy for england'

ReputationRep:
    It greatly depends on the weather and the pitches. If the weather stays anything like it is now, and the pitches offer assistance to the quicks, India will struggle. However, given that the weather is set to improve and pitches will be drier, as a neutal, it may just make for an even contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas Ghata-Aura)
    keep dreaming mate. you know you're still clutching on to that ashes series against australia arent you? you know the one...the one where you managed to fluke a few wins and suddenly you think you're the best side in the world? we'll let the cricket do the talking soon enough when India are here and i'm sure it wont be 'easy for england'
    Quite ironic considering most Indian fans thought they were the best team in the world after a 1-1 draw in Australia a few years back :p: :toofunny:

Yes, let the cricket do the talking

ReputationRep:
    Quite ironic considering most Indian fans thought they were the best team in the world after a 1-1 draw in Australia a few years back :p: :toofunny:
    Remind me again where that series was played? That's right - away. Remind me who won the previous two series between the countries in India? Thats right, India. At the time, the Indian team were far from the best side in the world, but they usurped the no.1s twice at home and were within 4 wickets of rolling them over again in their own backyard. That's no joke.
    The 05 Ashes was built on two Test wins and a draw in home conditions and a bringing on subs for bowlers that left a lot to be desired within the spirit of the game.

But I'll also be the first to admit the current Indian outfit does not even compare to the side of 3/4 years ago and the same could be said of the current England side compared to 05.

I don't think anyone can question whether we deserved to win the home ashes, that really was England on their best form for the last decade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I don't think anyone can question whether we deserved to win the home ashes, that really was England on their best form for the last decade!
    Oh absolutely. But it wasn't THAT great. It would have been if you'd, say, held on for a draw in the 06/07 series. As it happened, 5-0 and less than convincing results against other teams following 05 meant the claim to being the best Test nation was never substantiated.

ReputationRep:
    Fair is fair - Vaughan out thought Ponting in that series, but alien conditions elsewhere and the unit struggled. It didn't help that Vaughan was then out for a good while straight after, but then too much reliance on one man never made the best team (Australia conquered the final frontier - a series win in India in 35 years - while Ponting was nursing a broken thumb)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Fair is fair - Vaughan out thought Ponting in that series, but alien conditions elsewhere and the unit struggled. It didn't help that Vaughan was then out for a good while straight after, but then too much reliance on one man never made the best team (Australia conquered the final frontier - a series win in India in 35 years - while Ponting was nursing a broken thumb)
    With or without Vaughan the 06/07 Ashes down under was going to be lost by England, whether or not it would have been a whitewash no-one knows.

Anyway, i think England should just worry about getting Flintoff fit again to face India. I know I'd much rather be facing Sidebottom than Flintoff

ReputationRep:
    Looks like flintoff is have an operation again. Bearing in mind he is 29 which is approaching old for a bowler(i know theres been been some good older ones like mcgrath, caddick, pollock etc) but gerenally, with the huge workload on bowlers nowadays, they seem to be gettinginjured more and more later on in their career. Begs the questions as whether flintoff can ever maintain or surpress that form from the 04-05 season, or whether that was his peak years. I think freddies recent problems underlines the problems posed by cricket lately, that is of the cricket overload bought on by the icc which needs to be re-addressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manning)
    I think freddies recent problems underlines the problems posed by cricket lately, that is of the cricket overload bought on by the icc which needs to be re-addressed.
    Without a doubt. Just read now that Australia are going to play a record 20 tests in 2008. That's insane when combined with ever increasing ODIs and a 20/20 WC!!! This 20/20 business should be strictly limited.

Did anyone else read of the new recommendations by the ICC cricket committee? The advantage to batsman is furthered by letting the batting side choose when to pick a Powerplay and having a free hit off an overstepping no-ball! There are some bowler friendly changes, but I doubt the overall balance between bat and ball will be changed.

ReputationRep:
    kabir ali 1-94 off of 10 overs

case closed :cool: for a moment earlier on in the season i was scared he might be considered for england again!

trescothck and langer extremely disappointing for somerset this week ben

ReputationRep:
    Langer declaring on 50/8, thats just mind blowingly poor cricket. He may have dneied Middlesex an extra bowling point but youve made their task of picking up 14 for ths win a lot easier Justin :rolleyes:

Leicestershire lalalala

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6714545.stm

what a joke! now they are saying woolmer wasnt murdered! make your mind up

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.