Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else see young Adil Rasheed playing for Yorkshire today? He looked very impressive. Looks like a good batsmen, agile fielder and very good leggie with ability to turn the ball and be accurate.

Sounds like the no.8 England have been looking for all this time. Maybe this could be the XI for Sri Lanka this winter:

1. M Trescothick
    2. A Cook
    3. M Vaughan (C)
    4. K Pietersen
    5. P Collingwood
    6. M Prior (WK)
    7. A Flintoff
    8. A Rasheed
    9. S Harmison
    10. M Panesar
    11. M Hoggard

ReputationRep:
    Monty is God. He will be leading wicket-taker in the India series. India will win the ODIs so long as they open with Tendulkar instead of having him at number 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horrorshow)
    Hmm, I suppose you're right. I just remember when on englands last tour of india He bowled with swing and accuracy and looked like he had potential, especially with the new ball. I think he was getting strauss out for fun. Did he really get quite alot of publicity like advertising and stuff then? I hope he recovers some form, and yes as you say, increases his bowling speed. I mean, I'm not even indian, but this was just awesome : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WXbDqfWj4 especially considering the players.

Hmm, zaheer. I suppose they're following the idea like england are doing now by picking experienced pros who have practiced on the county circuit. Personally, I just dont rate him very highly. Too many half volleys and half trackers IMO, also at an average pace.
    Oh dont show me that video, brings back memories of that CRAZY match! Hat-trick in the first over, yet we still managed to lose :rolleyes:

But yeah Zaheer, well we'll see how he does on this tour, I expect a good series from him to be honest, back in South Africa a few months ago he was in top form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas Ghata-Aura)
    Oh dont show me that video, brings back memories of that CRAZY match! Hat-trick in the first over, yet we still managed to lose :rolleyes:
    That pitch was lethal though. If you look at the hat trick ball (Yousuf) the ball came back in about 2 feet off the pitch which is damn near unplayable. I wasn't particularly surprised when Asif (I think it was him) wrecked our top order with his seamers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    That pitch was lethal though. If you look at the hat trick ball (Yousuf) the ball came back in about 2 feet off the pitch which is damn near unplayable. I wasn't particularly surprised when Asif (I think it was him) wrecked our top order with his seamers.
    Yeah it was just a crazy match :p:

ReputationRep:
    Bangladesh shouldn't even be allowed to play Test cricket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    It was indeed Asif - that match brought him onto the international scene as someone who was to be taken seriously - 39/6 to winning by 341 runs. Still I reckon, Kamran Akmal's role in that match cannot be overestimated - to score a 100 when the whole top order has collapsed on a pitch that is still nipping is quite an achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    It was indeed Asif - that match brought him onto the international scene as someone who was to be taken seriously - 39/6 to winning by 341 runs. Still I reckon, Kamran Akmal's role in that match cannot be overestimated - to score a 100 when the whole top order has collapsed on a pitch that is still nipping is quite an achievement.
    yep. a truly pugnatious counter attacking innings which should not be forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    This has pleased me muchly http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/6294714.stm

Full provisional 20-20 squad here :

Anderson (Lancs), Bell (Warwicks), Bopara (Essex), Bresnan (Yorks), Broad (Leics) Chapple (Lancs) Collingwood (Durham, capt), Cook (Essex), Flintoff (Lancs), Kirtley (Sussex), Lewis (Glos), Loye (Lancs), Maddy (Warwicks), Mascarenhas (Hants), Nixon (Leics), Panesar (Northants), Pettini (Essex), Pietersen (Hants), Plunkett (Durham), Prior (Sussex), Schofield (Surrey), Shah (Middx), Sidebottom (Notts), Snape (Leics), Solanki (Worcs), Tremlett (Hants), Trescothick (Somerset), Trott (Warwicks), Wright (Sussex), Yardy (Sussex)

Although this list has to effectively be halved, I'm a bit stunned to see the likes of schofield/snape/chapple in there

ReputationRep:
    Chapples a good player, if he were just 10 years younger...

The slow bowlers seems to be the area of main concern. Jermery Snape is a disgrace, can't even get into his county side, the one he captains! Schofield I'm not sure about, hes had a good 20/20 season but his bowling still looks a bit ragged if you ask me.

Swann should have been selected for sure, perhaps Doshi too.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard about a Yorkshire lad Adil Rasheed who is a leggie - anyone seen him play?

ReputationRep:
    Well AesopRock posted about him at the top of the page. He obviously saw the same game as I did on TV

hes the next big thing in English cricket. He was originally selected for Yorkshire as a batsman because of a few Second XI 100s, was given a chance with his legspin too and started taking wickets. Has been a regular this season and is averaging 35 with both bat and ball.

Saw him bowl on TV for the first time the other day, was surprisingly tidy and he got a fivefer. I think the England selectors want to take their time with him but I expect he'll get a tour place to SL this winter as there isn't a lot else in the cupboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricinfo)
    8.1 Khan to Denly, no run, full in length, outside off stump, left alone, Zaheer settling into a good rhythm
    8.2 Khan to Denly, FOUR, pitched up, on the pads, Denly drives on the up, the ball just about falls short of zaheer and speeds away past mid-on
    8.3 Khan to Denly, FOUR, pitched up, Zaheer gets his line and length wrong, Denly leans onto it and creams it past mid-off this time
    Zaheer switches to round the wicket
    8.4 Khan to Denly, FOUR, doesn't help I'm afraid, the ball drifts in on middle and leg, overpitched, Denly just pushes it with little effort past the non striker and it speeds away
    8.5 Khan to Denly, FOUR, and again, this time Denly opens the face of the bat and glides it past the umbrella field behind him, no third man
    8.6 Khan to Denly, 1 no ball, some respite, but it's a no ball, left alone
    8.6 Khan to Denly, FOUR, pitched up, edged and the ball flies past gully and straight to the third man fence
    Five fours! Lights, camera and action
    :laugh:

In other news, Andrew Strauss is a disgrace :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Chapples a good player, if he were just 10 years younger...

The slow bowlers seems to be the area of main concern. Jermery Snape is a disgrace, can't even get into his county side, the one he captains! Schofield I'm not sure about, hes had a good 20/20 season but his bowling still looks a bit ragged if you ask me.

Swann should have been selected for sure, perhaps Doshi too.
    Snape a disgrace? He seems to have done well enough in twenty20 to justify his place in the 30. He does average 19 with the ball and 26 with the bat. I think that is the reason why they chosen Snape and Schofield is that they can both bat a bit - and Doshi can't, but I definitely would have him in my 30 though.

In other news, Andrew Strauss is a disgrace
    Yeah, Strauss's summer (and winter for that matter) has been pretty bad. Do England still keep him in the Test side though? Or would they bring someone like Shah into the frame?

ReputationRep:
    Shah isn't an opener though, and trying to make him one would be a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    Vaughan / Bell could open and Shah would come in at 6 I would guess. (I don't particulary rate Shah though tbh)

Aesop, I am a Leicestershire fan and am sick of Snape. Hes a very average cricketer and has only done reasonably well in 20/20 because he bowls at around 40mph and county players don't really know what to do with it. I imagine the likes of Ponting and Symonds would be laughing all the way home as they hit him out of the park.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though, Shah has consistently batted well at Middx, and England aren't really spoiled for choice..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AesopRock)
    Yeah, Strauss's summer (and winter for that matter) has been pretty bad. Do England still keep him in the Test side though? Or would they bring someone like Shah into the frame?
    Hmm, I dunno. He seems to have gone into his shell recently though. A Slow scoring rate, and he also has a habit of making ordinary balls look amazing by playing all around them :/ I mean, his technique always was slightly unorthodox, but he seems unable to play any shots on the front foot now :mad:

Daz: Agree about snape

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I dunno. He seems to have gone into his shell recently though. A Slow scoring rate, and he also has a habit of making ordinary balls look amazing by playing all around them :/ I mean, his technique always was slightly unorthodox, but he seems unable to play any shots on the front foot now :mad:
    Yeah I remember watching him play and he kept on hitting the fast bowlers back over their head, in a similar way to Matty Hayden, just that Shahs didn't go as far .

Trouble is that there aren't many other options in terms of opening batsmen. The only other options I can think of are putting Vaughan opening and getting a no.3 or no4 batsmen in, maybe promote KP as well.

I'd think about bringing Ramps back, just for this series. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the best English county batsman out there. I don't really see much else out there, apart from the likes of Hildreth, Samit Patel, Sayers, Rob Key, Solanki and a few others, but I don't know if I can say that they are all in top form and are Test match quality batsmen. Maybe even Denly could get a chance after his performance today.

The whole Strauss situation has just made us realize how much we need Trescothick back in the side. Although, I can't see the selectors not including Strauss in the side, especially with no obvious replacement in the ranks.

ReputationRep:
    Tendulkar in form...very nice to see

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.