Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synergetic)
    9th August :yy:
    thanks man:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Y A Z)
    Who doesn't love him?

Dhoni hasn't been doing much. Kartik may not perform consistently. Bouncy? Thats Ganguly's main weakness, I think. Dravid is under pressure already; India haven't won in England alot and this is his first time in England as a captain. Everyone would want India to win this one, seeing they are already one up. That leaves Tendulkar; two good performances by English batsmen to counter that?
    Dhoni is more effective in one dayers and have you forgotten it was him who saved them in the first test with his 73, and is also a capable wicket keeper, his main reason for being in the team. Karthik is new to tests so you can only judge him on how hes played in the last few tests and for someone who has never played in england, he looks very good.

People mention Kumble doesnt spin the ball and yes he doesnt need to alot of the time because he has many variations and way he bowls is unique, batsmen say its like facing a slow medium pacer who spins it all the time. Monty once bowled for a few years and the element of surprise has gone, will prove to be very easily playable and alot of his wickets at the moment are due to batsmen looking to play him or underestimate him. e.g. alot of his lbw's are because when the ball pitches in the middle stump line, batsmen expect it to spin off but it stays straight and he gets them out, not cos hes intended to do this but due to him not being able to turn the ball. Correct me if im wrong but im not aware Monty can bowl the googly or anything else like Anil Bhai can!

With Indias newly aquired swing bowlers and pacers (inc Pathan, Munaf Patel etc) you cant prepare pitches to their disadvantage anymore!

Going to 3 of the odi's and expecting India to narrowly win the series, remember Yuvraj is still to come and word has it Harbajan and Kaif will be called up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartofengland)
    Dhoni is more effective in one dayers and have you forgotten it was him who saved them in the first test with his 73, and is also a capable wicket keeper, his main reason for being in the team. Karthik is new to tests so you can only judge him on how hes played in the last few tests and for someone who has never played in england, he looks very good.

People mention Kumble doesnt spin the ball and yes he doesnt need to alot of the time because he has many variations and way he bowls is unique, batsmen say its like facing a slow medium pacer who spins it all the time. Monty once bowled for a few years and the element of surprise has gone, will prove to be very easily playable and alot of his wickets at the moment are due to batsmen looking to play him or underestimate him. e.g. alot of his lbw's are because when the ball pitches in the middle stump line, batsmen expect it to spin off but it stays straight and he gets them out, not cos hes intended to do this but due to him not being able to turn the ball. Correct me if im wrong but im not aware Monty can bowl the googly or anything else like Anil Bhai can!

With Indias newly aquired swing bowlers and pacers (inc Pathan, Munaf Patel etc) you cant prepare pitches to their disadvantage anymore!

Going to 3 of the odi's and expecting India to narrowly win the series, remember Yuvraj is still to come and word has it Harbajan and Kaif will be called up.
    Wait. How exactly did Dhoni save the test? England had to take just one wicket and they had SO much time. It just rained, thats all! Dhonis 73 had nothing to do with it (unless his score made it rain). It wouldn't have mattered if he had scored 103, if England needed just that one wicket. What are you on about? :dontknow:

Exactly! Kartick is new to tests so you can't judge him! Monty is new to tests too. Unless your opinion is biased, I don't see why you don't think Monty's a good bowler. You can bowl the **** out of yourself, but the only way you become a good bowler is by taking wickets. Like you said your self, Monty is already taking wickets. It doesn't matter whose fault it is; he produces results. He's new right now. At the very least, he'll see how the 'batsmen get themselves out' and bowl that delivery more often.

Whether he proves to be easily playable or not, only time will tell. I don't think you have enough experience about Cricket to judge someone so early.

No bolwer could bowl each and every delivery when they first came into the scene! They all learned later; thru experience.

Pathan may have BEEN a good bowler, but since he started working on his pace, hes lost all his swing. Tell me, when was the last time you heard of him? I'll tel you: it was the match between Delhi and some other team. His figures, if I remember correctly, were: 23-10-86-1. And this was a test. Munaf Patel AGAIN doesn't have experience, like Monty

Can't prepare pitches to their disadvantages? These guys were there in the WC, yet India was kicked out so early in the tournament. So what are you saying, India have the ultimate team now?

ReputationRep:
    Wait. How exactly did Dhoni save the test? England had to take just one wicket and they had SO much time. It just rained, thats all! Dhonis 73 had nothing to do with it (unless his score made it rain). It wouldn't have mattered if he had scored 103, if England needed just that one wicket. What are you on about? :dontknow:

Exactly! Kartick is new to tests so you can't judge him! Monty is new to tests too. Unless your opinion is biased, I don't see why you don't think Monty's a good bowler. You can bowl the **** out of yourself, but the only way you become a good bowler is by taking wickets. Like you said your self, Monty is already taking wickets. It doesn't matter whose fault it is; he produces results. He's new right now. At the very least, he'll see how the 'batsmen get themselves out' and bowl that delivery more often.

Whether he proves to be easily playable or not, only time will tell. I don't think you have enough experience about Cricket to judge someone so early.

No bolwer could bowl each and every delivery when they first came into the scene! They all learned later; thru experience.

Pathan may have BEEN a good bowler, but since he started working on his pace, hes lost all his swing. Tell me, when was the last time you heard of him? I'll tel you: it was the match between Delhi and some other team. His figures, if I remember correctly, were: 23-10-86-1. And this was a test. Munaf Patel AGAIN doesn't have experience, like Monty

Can't prepare pitches to their disadvantages? These guys were there in the WC, yet India was kicked out so early in the tournament. So what are you saying, India have the ultimate team now?
    absolute ********!

Firstly im sure everyone who watched the match (i was there) will agree Dhoni staying in there patiently in the 2nd innings was crucial and when it came down to it, it would have decided between england winning or losing. The rain saved India but even at lunch when ind were only 3 wickets down we were sure theyd be able to bat of the rest of the day but a mini collapse didnt help and the rain is just part of the game.

My point about Kartick was that he looks good in terms of his batting style even though this was only his second test opening the innings, whereas Monty has played a considerable number of games, but as a batsmen going from batting at number 6/7 in ODI where you need to score mega quick, to opening a Test match is a huge difference faced with a new ball in unfimiliar conditions (monty is bowling on pitches hes been bought up on). And his style of bowling doesnt leave for much more improvement, he is already 24/25, all that will happen is his bowling average will go to 30+ watch this space.

Pathan is supposed to be doing well in the ranji cup which i think is finished now and he has been selected for the 20/20 world cup, so no way is he a forgotten man.

They dont have the ultimate team, but are alot more balanced as their fast bowling was once a weakness in england, but now with rp singh and khan is alot better and batsmen need no words.

ReputationRep:
    India have gotten very lucky in both tests.

ReputationRep:
    They won fair and square in the second. No question about luck.

Theres nothing lucky about Zaheer Khan taking wickets.

ReputationRep:
    absolute ********!

Firstly im sure everyone who watched the match (i was there) will agree Dhoni staying in there patiently in the 2nd innings was crucial and when it came down to it, it would have decided between england winning or losing. The rain saved India but even at lunch when ind were only 3 wickets down we were sure theyd be able to bat of the rest of the day but a mini collapse didnt help and the rain is just part of the game.

My point about Kartick was that he looks good in terms of his batting style even though this was only his second test opening the innings, whereas Monty has played a considerable number of games, but as a batsmen going from batting at number 6/7 in ODI where you need to score mega quick, to opening a Test match is a huge difference faced with a new ball in unfimiliar conditions (monty is bowling on pitches hes been bought up on). And his style of bowling doesnt leave for much more improvement, he is already 24/25, all that will happen is his bowling average will go to 30+ watch this space.

Pathan is supposed to be doing well in the ranji cup which i think is finished now and he has been selected for the 20/20 world cup, so no way is he a forgotten man.

They dont have the ultimate team, but are alot more balanced as their fast bowling was once a weakness in england, but now with rp singh and khan is alot better and batsmen need no words.
    Dude, it RAINED. India COULD have managed a mini-collapse, but they DIDN'T. India were 3 down at lunch but they were NINE down when it started. You're seriously full of bull**** and can't accept a defeat. It would be useless talking to you.

Do me and all of us here a favour. Go check the number of games both Monty and Kartick have played. Go check the ICC Test bowlers rankings and check for Monty's name. And for GOD'S SHAKE, SHUT UP!

Pathan is NOT doing well. Don't you check recent events?

I really can't be bothered arguing with you. India played outstandingly well in the 2nd test, but they sucked in the first. Period.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, to quote an unnamed and much loved member of staff who nonetheless tells quite terrible jokes (:ninja: :p:) 'tis just not cricket . . . :p:

Please try not to get too upset. We've already seen one user warned tonight on here for certain kinds of behaviour and though it is easy to respond to it likewise, it is equally straightforward to receive those warnings yourselves - and that's no fun for anyone. ;no;

ReputationRep:
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    Eh?
    He's talking about me (and I resent the comment about terrible jokes :hmmm: :p:). Guys, please stop arguing and throwing accusations. I always thought cricket was supposed to be a sportsman's game. Don't let me think I've been disillusioned into believing there's no such thing as a cricket hooligan :p: This is the sort of rubbish I expect to deal with in the Football forum, not here

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't noticed Dali, there has been nothing to report except from our good friend heartofengland...

ReputationRep:
    He's not the only one I've been dealing with in here...he's one of them, certainly, but he's not alone.

ReputationRep:
    Right. You're probably the better judge :p:
    Carry on.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't noticed Dali, there has been nothing to report except from our good friend heartofengland...
    the warning was for apparently avoiding the swear filter, however the word i used was not meant as a swear word which is why i typed it, it seems as if Dalimyr is just looking for things to moderate and needs to get a life lol.

In response to your reply, you really havent got a clue! I suggest you either go to watch these games in person to appreciate just what is happening as opposed to reading scorecards/press. Yes it rained however thats part of the game and my point was that india were only outplayed in the final session in regards to the outcome so you can hardly say england were the much better team. Plus stranger things have happened than a couple of tail enders surviving for a couple of hours so regardless of rain you cant predict.

Reagrds to Monty, iv seen him bowl in person many times, hes the best in england but as soc said englands spinning quality is very poor so media build him up as hes the only one, you'll next be comparing him to murali or vettori or he will reach that standard, however he will not, hes a average spinner who will be found out after a few tours.

Here are Karticks figures which actually show little considering hes played less than 20 odi's and even those in the lower order.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/c...yer/30045.html

Again as you mentioned figures here are monties bowling, a test average of 29 and odi average of 40, and thats hardly impressive seeing as those figures may probably slowly increase over time and a decent spinner is valued in both forms of the game and Montys absense in the wc games tells you something?

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/c...yer/18655.html

ReputationRep:
    and deleting my reply to alkeda was uncalled for as it was true what i said and wasnt offensive. I hope pig reads this and checks it out, otherwise i'll bring it to his attention.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm appalled by ECB's blatant money-making scheme in this India series. Indian fans across England are being sucked-dry with these stupidly high prices! Even Nasser Hussain was saying the extended series was basically a money-making plot!

BCCI is the richest cricketing body - and our tickets are the cheapest! ECB FIX UP. Also Lords is nowhere near the home of cricket, they've sucked the living life out of that place - no atmosphere, no noise, no excitement!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    and deleting my reply to alkeda was uncalled for as it was true what i said and wasnt offensive. I hope pig reads this and checks it out, otherwise i'll bring it to his attention.
    Pig? Pig is not a staff member on TSR. If you have an issue with moderation bring it to Ask a Moderator.

ReputationRep:
    "Kumble has a lot of variations" - i have to agree completely the leg spinner that doesn't spin, the googly that doesn't spin, the top spinner with no extra bounce and the flipper that bounces as normal.

ReputationRep:
    yes. thanks to the **** who deleted my ENTIRE reply to alkaeda, which actually had some relevant points to do with the recently completed Test match. Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princey89)
    "Kumble has a lot of variations" - i have to agree completely the leg spinner that doesn't spin, the googly that doesn't spin, the top spinner with no extra bounce and the flipper that bounces as normal.
    If that takes more than 550 wickets, then I think Monty can learn a thing or two.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.