Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a punt on the one day series too:

India to win 7-0 Trufax :cool:

Especially given that england WILL approach this one day series with the same boycottian batting manner as they always do, no matter what **** comes out of the mouth of the coach. They'll use an excuse like 'we were assessing the conditions' or some *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    i got the impression he (Giles) didnt massively rate monty.
    No sour grapes there then? :p: Giles was a slow seam bowler anyway so I don't see why we would take his word for it.

ReputationRep:
    I guess priors lost his place in the team now, whos going to be the wicket keeper for the one days then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim90)
    I guess priors lost his place in the team now, whos going to be the wicket keeper for the one days then?
    Priors in the team for the ODIs and the 20/20 world cup :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Priors in the team for the ODIs and the 20/20 world cup :p:
    lol my bad.. just checked on cricinfo..

good luck to him in proving his critics wrong then

ReputationRep:
    Prior is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    For gods sake, the guy has had one bad match, he's the best prospect that England have got in terms of a wicketkeeper batsman. It would be reactionary madness to drop him now, before he gets established, and would mean that should he come back into the side, he will be under a hell of alot more pressure. The selectors need to show a bit of faith in their players imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    For gods sake, the guy has had one bad match, he's the best prospect that England have got in terms of a wicketkeeper batsman.

He may well play better now he has got his ego bruised. I am sure he will not perform as a batsman in Sri Lanka. He can do it against the weaker teams, but with the experience and quality Sri Lanka have, Prior won't be able to do it.

England need Jones back. He's England's best prospect for a wicketkeeper batsman.

ReputationRep:
    How does one go about finding their local cricket club. I really do fancy playing for a bit next season after my knee has healed and was wondering how to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnkuk)
    How does one go about finding their local cricket club. I really do fancy playing for a bit next season after my knee has healed and was wondering how to go about it.
    Try looking at your local newspapers for information about local cricket teams. Then just try and search the net for any contact info I guess.

You could also try this site:

http://www.play-cricket.com/directory/directory.asp

ReputationRep:
    Just turn up at a club and introduce yourself and play its not hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synergetic)
    He may well play better now he has got his ego bruised. I am sure he will not perform as a batsman in Sri Lanka. He can do it against the weaker teams, but with the experience and quality Sri Lanka have, Prior won't be able to do it.

England need Jones back. He's England's best prospect for a wicketkeeper batsman.
    Hmm Jones had far longer to prove himself. Prior needs an opportunity to do the same against different bowling attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Hmm Jones had far longer to prove himself. Prior needs an opportunity to do the same against different bowling attacks.
    Maybe so. It's on the selectors though.

To me, though - Prior's all c*ck, no balls. Lets see if he proves me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    We shall see, I certainly think he's a talent worth investigating further at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnkuk)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...ed/4180226.stm

ReputationRep:
    When compared to Dhoni he is crap.

ReputationRep:
    Dhoni is hardly amazing though - he's a fine batsman but average with the gloves.

ReputationRep:
    I personally mourn the death of the traditional wicketkeeper - legends of the past for England like the great Bob Taylor, or Alan Knott (who could bat a bit too). Why the obsession on picking terrible wicketkeepers who drop star batsmen and only make 30 more runs than the expert keeper who catches every snick and bats averagely, making less runs admittedly, but it does not matter on bit. If you catch the other teams star batsmen, then you have proved your worth. Great keepers in cricket are like great goalkeepers in football; if they do their job they go unnoticed.

Prior seems like the poor mans Alec Stewart. Sure he may hit an aggressive half century, but his batting does not account for his shoddy keeping and clumsy footwork. Admittedly, England's leg side bowling (many of which are given as byes when they ought to be signalled wides) is not helping poor Prior.

The man I feel sorry for most is Chris Read. His batting was coming on heaps and bounds last summer against Pakistan, and his keeping is a joy to watch for the real cricket lover. Please England, Prior will only be another Geraint Jones - a quick flash in the pan whose batting will be found out. Pick keepers for keepers and prosper. But sadly in todays age, this is not the done thing.

ReputationRep:
    All this about prior: Kamran Akmal Is absolutely ****e behind the stumps. Don't see him getting dropped straight away do ya?

ReputationRep:
    I do feel a bit sorry for modern day keepers, they have to be international class in two areas of the game and are probably the hardest workers on the team. In another time Read might have picked up 100 caps but nowadays you have to be able to average 30, make hundreds and take all your catches.

Akmal is pretty bad but whenever I see him play I cant help but remember him for one of the great counter attacking innings http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2...02FEB2006.html

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.