Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bell out in the middle now. Is this actually a test match?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horrorshow)
    Bell out in the middle now. Is this actually a test match?
    yeah looks like its going to be slow going until KP comes i.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Cook's going to bat for 5 days here, shame he'll still only be on about 60...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesD89)
    Looks like Cook's going to bat for 5 days here, shame he'll still only be on about 60...
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with you there. Ignore the token six, this is a horribly negative start, in good conditions. Beefy is a legend "here's the first powerplay highlights - this won't take long" :laugh:
    lol @ beefy's comment. You can tell by his voice that he isn't very happy with the way things are going at the moment.

Prior's gone. No surprise there. With the score 45-1 after 12 overs is acceptable for test cricket, but this is a complete joke. Different team, different ground, different conditions, same ol' England.

I'm starting to think that if Cook doesn't get a big score after this slow start, then he needs to go back to county cricket and learn how to play one-day cricket there. I'm not too bothered if he isn't scoring boundaries at the start, I just want him to rotate the strike. And I still don't understand why Pietersen isn't batting at 3, it makes no sense. There is not enough space at the start of the innings for both Bell and Cook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AesopRock)
    lol @ beefy's comment. You can tell by his voice that he isn't very happy with the way things are going at the moment.

Prior's gone. No surprise there. With the score 45-1 after 12 overs is acceptable for test cricket, but this is a complete joke. Different team, different ground, different conditions, same ol' England.

I'm starting to think that if Cook doesn't get a big score after this slow start, then he needs to go back to county cricket and learn how to play one-day cricket there. I'm not too bothered if he isn't scoring boundaries at the start, I just want him to rotate the strike. And I still don't understand why Pietersen isn't batting at 3, it makes no sense. There is not enough space at the start of the innings for both Bell and Cook.
    i agree with you Kp should be at 3 and why isnt shah playing? wasnt he the highest run scorer for england in the ENG-Wi series?

ReputationRep:
    I'm embarassed to be english watching this.

I dread to think how the indian batsman will be slogging when they come out to bat. I can guarantee they won't accept recieving dot ball after dot ball

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HKS_)
    i agree with you Kp should be at 3 and why isnt shah playing? wasnt he the highest run scorer for england in the ENG-Wi series?
    I've got no idea on why Shah isn't playing. He is one player that can hit the ball straight down the ground over the bowlers head.

If England play like this for the rest of the ODIs then I hope they lose the first 4 games. Then maybe they will go for a different batting lineup (twenty20 WC influenced), maybe something like this:

1. Phil Mustard (wk)
    2. Luke Wright
    3. Kevin Pietersen
    4. Owais Shah
    5. Paul Collingwood (c)

Sourav Ganguly has just come on to ball, should be interesting, although it probably won't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm embarassed to be english watching this.

I dread to think how the indian batsman will be slogging when they come out to bat. I can guarantee they won't accept recieving dot ball after dot ball

:mad:
    I knew you would be on here tearing your hair out :p:

It is really bizarre, its like we're stuck in some type of groundhog day where we are destined to repeat our mistakes and forever play the great crab Ian Bell at number 3.

Prior is the odd one though, hes up the order to play shots, yet currently has a strike rate lower than the more orthodox Cook.

ReputationRep:
    Tremlett and Shah should've been selected

ReputationRep:
    Nasser getting his maths wrong again, thinks it's been 6 years since 2002. Maybe his numerical difficulties could explain why he batted at 3 for so long...

All's not lost though, Pietersen and Flintoff bat together for 15 overs, the last 15 preferably and we can make up for the bad start and then have a bowl under lights.

Must be what Moores has been planning all along.

EDIT: Shot Bell, at last - smash Ganguly around the park with his pants medium pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesD89)
    All's not lost though, Pietersen and Flintoff bat together for 15 overs, the last 15 preferably and we can make up for the bad start and then have a bowl under lights.

Must be what Moores has been planning all along.
    Yeah for sure, England could win from here, what they need is for Cook or Bell to get a hundred and have the likes of Pietersen, Flintoff, Bopara and Mascarenhas to boundaries at the other end. And that's fine in England when you're playing under lights in what feels like late September. The problem comes when they play teams that can score 300+. You can't get a big score when you are going at 4 runs an over in the power plays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I knew you would be on here tearing your hair out :p:

It is really bizarre, its like we're stuck in some type of groundhog day where we are destined to repeat our mistakes and forever play the great crab Ian Bell at number 3.

Prior is the odd one though, hes up the order to play shots, yet currently has a strike rate lower than the more orthodox Cook.
    Hehe, you can always depend on me I probably should give up.

I don't want to see england win if they bat like this. I personally think India will win this series 7-0, easily. And they deserve to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised the KP isn't higher up the order...what are Cook/Bell playing at? (nothing mostly :p:)
    :ditto: to all those who are surprised that Shah wasn't selected...
    And why is Ganguly bowling again??

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna make an estimation here. England won't score another boundary until at least the 40th over.

I'll quote this a bit later.

ReputationRep:
    Cook just got his 50, if he gets a hundred with a strike rate around 100 then he has done his job. To do that he has to score a few boundaries lol.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I was wrong. But you get the point. Batting has looked okay this last period, but you can't help but feel we've put ourselves on the back foot by starting so slow

ReputationRep:
    Nice 6 from Cook :p:

ReputationRep:
    We're actually in a half decent position now :eek2:

Bell just hits Chawla for the second six of the innings. If these two stay until the 40th over then it could be a big score :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I was wrong. But you get the point. Batting has looked okay this last period, but you can't help but feel we've put ourselves on the back foot by starting so slow
    lol, I knew that was going to happen when you said that.

They used to say that if you have wickets in hand, you can double your score at 30 overs. England should definitely looking at 300, especially with Pietersen, Bopara, Flintoff and Mascarenhas still to come. I'd probably leave Collingwood until later in the line up so that the big hitters can take advantage sooner rather then later.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.