Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    From a few pages ago:

(Original post by Horrorshow)
    I think cook needs to be dropped from all limited overs cricket.
    I thankyou. What an absolute tit. First ball, a leg stump half volley. Just taps it away. Next ball edges a defensive shot. I can't stand this fella's lame batting any more.

In a way don't think it's too bad a thing. If he had gotten out in his usual way, he'd have something like 15 runs off 38 balls or something. At least this way bell can come in and just play as an opener now.

ReputationRep:
    Luke wrights playing today, as well as mascarenhas. Those are the two changes. Very happy with these selections

England to bat first.
    Yep, good to see Luke and Dimi playing - 2 aggressive all-rounders. One thing that confuses me though - Luke Wright bats in the middle order???? As I said in one of my posts before, he needs to be at the top of the order, if they don't want to have him opening then he needs to be at 3 and push everyone else down the order.

I guess what I just said is irrelevant though, since Cook has just got out 2nd ball and Bell has come in at no.3. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Bell is the dangerman. And given that the middle order has made most of England's runs I don't think India will be that happy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he should go into the top order really. But "apparantly" the top order is firing, so they won't.

But oh jebus, it seems as though bells bat has a sweetspot 2 metres wide! (ignoring those last 2 balls )

ReputationRep:
    From a few pages ago:

I thankyou. What an absolute tit. First ball, a leg stump half volley. Just taps it away. Next ball edges a defensive shot. I can't stand this fella's lame batting any more.

In a way don't think it's too bad a thing. If he had gotten out in his usual way, he'd have something like 15 runs off 38 balls or something. At least this way bell can come in and just play as an opener now.
    Eh? 1st ball he faced, on the leg stump and he hit it straight to the fielder. 2nd ball he faced was a jaffer, the ball just moves away very slightly. All openers have a chance of getting out early on, especially with the white ball when it moves around a bit. I'm not too bothered about Cook, he just needs to learn how to play the spinners in ODIs and rotate the strike and with experience he'll become a more better one-day player.

If you're going to get rid of an opener, it should be Matt Prior, he doesn't score quickly enough to be a pinch hitter IMO and he hasn't got a big score yet. Luke Wright would have been a better choice.

Anyway, Prior gone - maybe a bit unlucky, but I'm not going to say anymore then that.

Should be interesting to see how KP does this time round.

Edit: 2 4s for KP, I think he thinks he's got a point to prove. He hasn't done well in any of the ODIs this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AesopRock)
    Eh? 1st ball he faced, on the leg stump and he hit it straight to the fielder. 2nd ball he faced was a jaffer, the ball just moves away very slightly. All openers have a chance of getting out early on, especially with the white ball when it moves around a bit. I'm not too bothered about Cook, he just needs to learn how to play the spinners in ODIs and rotate the strike and with experience he'll become a more better one-day player.

If you're going to get rid of an opener, it should be Matt Prior, he doesn't score quickly enough to be a pinch hitter IMO and he hasn't got a big score yet. Luke Wright would have been a better choice.
    Yes I agree. I'm probably too harsh on cook. Prior is neither a pinch hitter nor the type of guy we can trust to go through the full 50 overs. We could promote luke wright (i'd do that anyway), but the chances are the england coaching staff would tell him to play sedated anyway

Anyway, Prior gone - maybe a bit unlucky, but I'm not going to say anymore then that.

Should be interesting to see how KP does this time round.

Edit: 2 4s for KP, I think he thinks he's got a point to prove. He hasn't done well in any of the ODIs this summer.
    Yep, it's time for pietersen to win us this game on his own. The odds were he should fire in at least one of these games, maybe it's today.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno what you guys think, but I reckon Strauss is a better ODI player than Cook. He played quite well against the Aussies in the ODIs before the Ashes in 2005, and should probably be reinstated to the top of the order to try and get some form back.

ReputationRep:
    50-2 currently after 11 overs.

I'm suprised actually how well England are doing this ODI series considering all the negativity that's surrounded them particularly after the world cup. Looking better.

ReputationRep:
    Prior was not out. Bell was a goner. argh. I just wish umps would get it right by referring these tricky lbws. I know who I'd rather see back in the hut

ReputationRep:
    This is where cricket is headed with this 20/20 malarky: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engla...ry/309582.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Dunno what you guys think, but I reckon Strauss is a better ODI player than Cook. He played quite well against the Aussies in the ODIs before the Ashes in 2005, and should probably be reinstated to the top of the order to try and get some form back.
    I just think strauss has too many vices, and ways he gets out.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing ridiculous, they should have appealed for the run out before the big screen.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing ridiculous, they should have appealed for the run out before the big screen.
    They did. They were screaming their lungs out. Umpire's a disgrace. Runouts are ALWAYS referred when they're that close.

ReputationRep:
    This is a complete joke. I have never seen a dismissal like that. An umpire can't just look at the big screen, realize he's wrong and then choose to go to the 3rd umpire. Yes, you want the right decision, but that is not the way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're right. Definitely the umpires fault.

ReputationRep:
    Well they often call back batsmen when they realise they were wrongly given out. Now I'm not sure about the exact laws, but I think the ump is allowed to change his mind before the batsman has left the field.

ReputationRep:
    Something has to be done about this. Collingwood should still be out there IMO - the umpire can't just look at the bloody big screen and make his decision once he's see the action replay. If he's gonna do that there is not much point in having a umpire out there in the middle. You might as well have the 3rd umpire making all the decisions, because that is what effectively happened - the umpire saw the replay and made the decision.

What about all the times when a batsmen is walking back to the pavilion after being given out, the batsmen sees the big screen and realizes he's not out but still has to go back into the pavilion??? It's the same thing IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AesopRock)
    What about all the times when a batsmen is walking back to the pavilion after being given out, the batsmen sees the big screen and realizes he's not out but still has to go back into the pavilion??? It's the same thing IMO.
    er...wasn't Pietersen given not out after he hung around near the boundary in the Test series? And there have been several instances in ODIs where batsmen have been given out wrongly and been called back by the ump.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the way he had made his choice not to refer it. They then all watched the replay, then the umpire quickly called for the third umpire and put his head back down so that the batsmen didn't have a go at him.

Farce.

ReputationRep:
    Like Hussain just said, we need referrals, or at least refer all runouts that are this close, since the laws already allow for it.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.