Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    best odi was the england v india natwest final a few yrs back, when england got 320 odd and kaif and yauvraj equalled it.
    I don't agree:eek:.This is the best chase ever! Who would have expected S.A to get it! Common man... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    many people - throughout the series the two teams have been very evenly matched...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aSian_cUtY)
    South Africa definitely deserve the best team in the world title!!
    I would disagree with that. South Africa are a good outfit, but I still don't think they're at Australia's level - they got caned in Australia, and even Sri Lanka beat them after the torrid form that they'd been going through (they got hammered by India), so I would definitely not class them as the best team in the world - I would like to see them prove themselves consistanly again, as since drawing the series against India, they've not been great, and this was still only a 3-2 victory against Australia.

ReputationRep:
    England slaughtered them this time last year too - KP with is ODI debuts.etc.

ReputationRep:
    ^ doesnt mean anything espec in odi's, england also slaughtered australia and look at them now.

At moment the most likely teams for world cup are in this order: india, australia, SA, Pakistan, NZ, England/Sri Lanka, WI.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I never normally pay attention to ODI's....but, from that list I would put WI a little higher - they tend to have better ODI performance than their players would predict...although I haven't followed anything recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Probably the best ODI run chase ever, and possibly the best ODI ever (though Aus vs SA 1999 WC semifinal and India vs Pakistan 2004 1st ODI at Karachi come mighty close).
    Yes, those 2 were both fantastic matches. :top:

ReputationRep:
    Especially the Ind vs Pak one, I was on the edge of my seat throughout - I remember Ganguly wiping the sweat off his brow when the big man was finally out. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    best odi was the england v india natwest final a few yrs back, when england got 320 odd and kaif and yauvraj equalled it.
    As was this - fantastic match, as there was a good contest between both sides, and runs weren't so plentiful as the recent SA vs Australis match, since at one stage India were 150ish and 5 down, and the Yuvi and Kaif did an excellent job to take them to victory, although Yuvi fell towards the end. :top:

ReputationRep:
    S.A have improved a huge amount!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123Sub-Zero)
    S.A have improved a huge amount!
    Since when? You need to give some comparison to make a statement like that. They had that epic winning streak of 20 games, but then did adequately in India and poorly in Australia - one tournament win doesn't make them an incredible outfit all of a sudden.

ReputationRep:
    They are no doubt one of the top ODI teams - 20 consecutive wins followed by a drawn series in India, and after a poor series in Aus, have bounced back to win the ODIs at home.

ReputationRep:
    They are no doubt one of the top ODI teams - 20 consecutive wins followed by a drawn series in India, and after a poor series in Aus, have bounced back to win the ODIs at home.
    I wasn't saying that they're a bad team, as they're obviously very good, but I was just saying that I don't consider them to be the best team in the world, to whom I still think Australia are the gold standard, as they've proved themselves time after time again, in all conditions, home and away.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone is saying that the Aussies are bad after one loss (except perhaps the English who overhyped the Ashes).

But SA are definitely one of the teams fighting it out for the No. 2 spot in ODIs along with India, Pakistan and NZ..

ReputationRep:
    no the Aussies are not bad but ths may be the start of a downfall and time for a new team to take top spot.

ReputationRep:
    erm...SA beat them with 1 ball to spare...its hardly a game to be ashamed of.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone is saying that the Aussies are bad after one loss (except perhaps the English who overhyped the Ashes).

But SA are definitely one of the teams fighting it out for the No. 2 spot in ODIs along with India, Pakistan and NZ..
    Yes, the Ashes victory was overhyped (although it WAS a great series to watch esp. neutrally) and England are most likely gonna get hammered come november...

NZ up there in the ODI teams? fair enough but come the world cup next year I think all these series results and form are gonna mean bull. Lets face it, its about as wide open as its been, especially with Aus looking weaker than their run between the last two wcs (1999-2003). So I think there are at least 5 teams with a good shot at the title (and no, England aren't one of them... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Since when? You need to give some comparison to make a statement like that. They had that epic winning streak of 20 games, but then did adequately in India and poorly in Australia - one tournament win doesn't make them an incredible outfit all of a sudden.
    :confused: Common..statistics don't always tell the truth! They have improved a hell of alot if they can compete with the aussies like this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123Sub-Zero)
    :confused: Common..statistics don't always tell the truth! They have improved a hell of alot if they can compete with the aussies like this!
    Yes, sometimes statistics can be misleading, but you said 'SA have improved a hell of a lot!' or something along those lines - you need to compare it to something, ie. a point in the past where they weren't as good, etc, otherwise it's not a comparison, and is utterly meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Yes, sometimes statistics can be misleading, but you said 'SA have improved a hell of a lot!' or something along those lines - you need to compare it to something, ie. a point in the past where they weren't as good, etc, otherwise it's not a comparison, and is utterly meaningless.
    Well they did adequately in India and poorly in Australia and came back in this series so they must have improved!!!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.