Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The pitch is apparently soft and damp, so England will probably play 4 seamers (incl. Flintoff) plus one spinner (probably Giles fitness depending). Vaughan has said he will open the innings. I think you will see England do their best to get as many overs as possible bowled in the 3rd test, because in the 2nd test they only played 4 days worth of overs in 5 days cricket.

(Original post by Iscariot)
    The pitch is apparently soft and damp, so England will probably play 4 seamers (incl. Flintoff) plus one spinner (probably Giles fitness depending). Vaughan has said he will open the innings. I think you will see England do their best to get as many overs as possible bowled in the 3rd test, because in the 2nd test they only played 4 days worth of overs in 5 days cricket.
    So Hoggard is going to be important.

I don't see why Vaughan doesn't bowl himself more often... he's nearly as good as Giles!

How are these for figures in the final India vs South Africa ODI:

I K Pathan 7.0 overs 1 maiden 12 runs 2 wickets.

South Africa are going quite slowly, and have lost 3 wickets now. They need Kallis to stay in now and have a good slog at the end to get anything in the 200's.

India look like they ought to level this at 2-2.

ReputationRep:
    Kallis cannot slog. I swear he might have wonderful technique, but he scores his runs in ODI's so slowly most of the time. He can only play one game, anchoring in during an innings and scoring at like 50-70% max. Without Gibbs in the side, SA don't have an awful lot of batting, Boucher is normally #7 and now he's #5 which is a pretty big step up. Everyone talks about Kallis' wonderful technique but he scores too slowly in my opinion, even Dravid whose a wonderful technical batsman is capable (and does) score at about a run a ball once he gets going.

--------------

(Original post by tis_me_lord)
    So Hoggard is going to be important.

I don't see why Vaughan doesn't bowl himself more often... he's nearly as good as Giles!
    Haha, I agree! Although I don't think he'll bowl in this series because of his dodgy knee. I think Vaughan is a bit of a golden arm actually, he has this funny knack of getting wickets with absolute dross.

(Original post by Iscariot)
    Kallis cannot slog. I swear he might have wonderful technique, but he scores his runs in ODI's so slowly most of the time. He can only play one game, anchoring in during an innings and scoring at like 50-70% max. Without Gibbs in the side, SA don't have an awful lot of batting, Boucher is normally #7 and now he's #5 which is a pretty big step up. Everyone talks about Kallis' wonderful technique but he scores too slowly in my opinion, even Dravid whose a wonderful technical batsman is capable (and does) score at about a run a ball once he gets going.
    I know Kallis is slow, but that's alright really, he's doing ok with 64 from 112 right now. It may be slow but it gives their bowlers something to have a go at, plus Kemp will be in next and he can slog a lot for the final few overs, if they lose another wicket that is.

I agree they miss Gibbs as a good, fast opener.

Haha, I agree! Although I don't think he'll bowl in this series because of his dodgy knee. I think Vaughan is a bit of a golden arm actually, he has this funny knack of getting wickets with absolute dross.
    Well if it's damp, and maybe even with grass then we wont need spin, our seamers will do the trick, I think we should use Andersen instead of Plunkett if we do... as Plunkett shouldn't start off his test career with a must win game.

South Africa are battling back... but still a bit slow and unless they accelerate well India should knock it off if a couple of their big players perform, Tendulkar is due a good knock.

ReputationRep:
    The pitch is slow....and batting under lights is never particularly easy. I think we have a game on here!

ReputationRep:
    I think SA needed 20-30 runs more minimum, 4.5 runs an over isn't a huge amount. It really depends on how Pollock and Ntini run in early on during the reply.

ReputationRep:

It takes a cheater to know one....or so they say

Forget about Afridi's scrape with the law
    By Mike Atherton
    (Filed: 27/11/2005)

It always intrigues me when a piece of underhand work from a cricketer provokes absolute moral indignation, not just from people who haven't played the game, but from people who have.

To listen to those who slammed Shahid Afridi last week for doing a triple salchow on a length, you'd think that nobody had ever tried to scuff up a pitch before. It might have been more blatant, but Afridi did nothing worse last week than 99 per cent of professional cricketers have been guilty of doing at some stage of their careers. His mistake was to get caught.

Every cricket team I played in discussed, at some stage, how to scuff up a pitch on a spinner's length. The solutions ranged from cover point and square leg walking across the pitch on a length in between overs while the umpires were not looking, to throwing the ball in badly to the wicket-keeper so that he had to move onto a length to catch the ball, to batsmen doing a bit of gardening towards the end of their innings and then turning on their heels (on a length naturally) to go back to their crease, to bowlers bowling around the wicket so that they could follow through on a spinner's length.

At no stage can I ever remember these shenanigans having any effect whatsoever, and it genuinely never bothered me as a batsman, although I was always amused to see the lengths that teams would go to get their spikes in exactly the right place.

The moral outrage that greeted Afridi would be understandable if we were living in the Victorian age, when cricket celebrated its cleansing from match-fixers and bookmakers, when the phrase 'it's not cricket' came to be established, and when fair play on the cricket field extended beyond the boundary to represent the value system for a whole society. But in the last two decades or so there has been enough controversy (match-fixing, ball-tampering, sledging and non-walking) to know that cricket exists in the real world not an imaginary one.

Afridi broke the law, was caught and got punished. Let's leave it at that.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...7/ixcrick.html

ReputationRep:
    There's rain forecast for the next Test. Hopefully the weather won't be the deciding factor.

I always liked Athers, a good bloke he is, and he could bat a bit too!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent article by Atherton !

Must say I agree fully with him on this one as you all would naturally agree after viewing my last post where I slated the Eng media coverage and pointed out what Atherton has said !

Looks like its Pakistan's series due to time lost here and also weather conditions and I think its safe to say if the last test is washed out they are deserved winners !

With regards to the pitch complaints in both tests the pitches were actually good to bat on for a fifth day wicket ! The 2nd test pitch gave nothing to the bowlers did not crack and was a pancake to bat on ! The 1st test pitch was more cracked but only a little more there have been much worse pitches It was still good to bat on ! I dont buy these excuses !

ReputationRep:
    Its a good article - and its surprising to actually find someone willing to tell the truth!

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan have big problems Afridi Out, Younis Out (Brother Dies), Shabbir Out (Bowling Action) & Rockies In Raza etc

Their batting line up inspite of this looks formidable ! Their bowling has suffered so they may not be able to bowl Eng out ! However Inspite of all these set backs I still think Eng will not Win !

Well India won it quite easily, levelling the ODI's 2-2.

Test starts tomorrow, and I hope we win the toss and put in a good total. If we lose the toss it wont be the end of the world because this time there's more favourable conditions for our seamers and we may get them down to a low total like in the first test, and hopefully this time we'd captalise.

ReputationRep:
    the weather will be ok, theres no rain expected.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased honours were shared in the ODI series in India, both teams seem to be fantastic form.

As for England - Pakistan, it's difficult to see which way it'll go. Both teams are quite depleted but I suppose Pakistan have the advantage, as England will have to play for the victory.

I don't think England should play Giles. Udal seems like he's doing decently enough and if Giles is playing in pain, I see no point in having him in the team. Oh and hopefully the new England batting lineup won't die on its arse as easily as in previous tests.

Inzamam is the key wicket, Pakistan seem to build their innings around him. I'm quite interested to see what their batting line up will look like though and it may prove tougher than England expect.

Should be a good test match anyway.

(Original post by skd180)
    I'm pleased honours were shared in the ODI series in India, both teams seem to be fantastic form.

As for England - Pakistan, it's difficult to see which way it'll go. Both teams are quite depleted but I suppose Pakistan have the advantage, as England will have to play for the victory.

I don't think England should play Giles. Udal seems like he's doing decently enough and if Giles is playing in pain, I see no point in having him in the team. Oh and hopefully the new England batting lineup won't die on its arse as easily as in previous tests.

Inzamam is the key wicket, Pakistan seem to build their innings around him. I'm quite interested to see what their batting line up will look like though and it may prove tougher than England expect.

Should be a good test match anyway.
    Maybe Inzy will get a golden duck, and Raza (if they use him) will make 100... could happen. :eek:

I agree about Udal over Giles, if Giles is having hip problems. If Giles was as good as Warne then no way, but as he's poor anyway it's no big deal.

What about having no spinners and using Anderson AND Plunkett? We could have Vaughan bowling a dozen or so for SOME spin... but if the pitch is damp, and maybe even with some grass, then I say we should use the method that worked so well for us during the ashes.

Khan was due a good innings, and it's sad he and Afridi have to miss out... but it gives other Pakistan players more opportunity in the same way as Collingwood and Anderson are getting another chance, and perhaps somebody can bat or bowl their way into the perminant team.

I'm also interested in seeing Pakistans team, whether they go batting or bowling. I think they need a batsman for Khan obviously, and for Afridi maybe another batsman seeing as their tails weak, and they don't want to risk a low total. Maybe it would leave them with less options bowling wise but at the end of the day they don't need 20 wickets to win the series... they could just bat it out.

ReputationRep:
    hmm...personally I would kick out the spinners and put in anderson and an extra bat...although I dont know who we have on tour who could do that - 4 seamers would be plenty, and also, as you said - we have vaughan (although if his knee is screwed, who knows...)

ReputationRep:
    I think if England get Inzamam and Yosuf early on Pakistan will struggle posting a high target so England can take advantage. It is important to get these two out early on!

(Original post by 123Sub-Zero)
    I think if England get Inzamam and Yosuf early on Pakistan will struggle posting a high target so England can take advantage. It is important to get these two out early on!
    Agreed, the rest of their team seem capable with the bat but don't seem to get high totals eg Malik always starts and gets out stupidly. With more experience they may become more sensible and better, like with Flintoff... but for now we can take advantage of the carelessness and just get out their accumulators to really dry them of runs. I'm sure the tail would hit less 6's if they only had a couple of hundred up instead of 400.

(Original post by bikerx23)
    hmm...personally I would kick out the spinners and put in anderson and an extra bat...although I dont know who we have on tour who could do that - 4 seamers would be plenty, and also, as you said - we have vaughan (although if his knee is screwed, who knows...)
    Maybe Cook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaby)
    the weather will be ok, theres no rain expected.
    Inzamam admitted. "The weather, the fog and the forecast rain is a bit of a worry for this match. This match is starting a little late here [10 am], because if it gets a little dark towards the close, we have floodlights here which we didn't at the other two grounds. But if it is foggy then the lights won't make a difference so the weather conditions are a major worry."

Which is funny since I checked the Lahore forecast and it says nothing but beautiful sunshine.

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/PKXX0011.html

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.