Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the sound of bat on ball makes me shiver all over, does anyone feel the same. HAHAHAHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    Hey Peter88! Here's some advice on how to bat (from a pro; that's me :p: i play for Emirates Airlines, 5 local clubs, my school, my dad's company and my city , and i still cant get enough!)
    1. Keep you eyes level; its been shown that keeping the eyes level helps speed up one's reaction time, as it makes it easier for the brain to process the incoming information. So dont keep looking here and there.
    2. Your first movement should be from the shoulders towards the line of the ball. The rest of your body will follow naturally and will help ensure you get correctly 'inline' with the ball. This is what commentators sometimes refer to: 'Look at the power in that shot', or 'Look at that power he's generated!'. The power only comes when you move your shoulders. The shoulders are your 'generators'.
    3. Play the delivery based on its length; if its short, even if its in line with the wickets, dont hesitate - tonk it away to the boundary, Andy flintoff style :p: The same applies with the full deliveries and half volleys.
    4. One of the most imp. things is to watch the ball from the bowlers hand in run up all they way to the bat- thats why some bowlers try to hide the ball. By the watching the ball in the bowler's hand, you can see what the bowler is trying to do with the ball, i.e. reverse swing, in swing (i dont know if you know anything about what the 'shiny side' can do). If you can determine the shiny side or the rough side, youll know where the ball will swing. If its a spinner your playing, see his wrist movement. Very imp.
    5. When batting against spinners, try doing an initial forward press; taking an initial half step towards the pitch of the ball. Always try to hit WITH the spin. If you dont know which way the ball is going to spin, ask the Umpire whether ull face a leggie or an off spinner :p:
    6. It is really essential to maintain a solid base when batting and to be in a solid positio when you play the ball. See Brian Lara's cover drives . He is perfectly balanced. If you pay close enough attention, youll know that some batsmen will have one foot in the air when they play a shot. This is a no-no!
    7. Don't run yourself out! If you run hard, you'll often be tired. Here is where your stamina comes in place. Run only if you think you can complete the run; if your tired, tell your partner to go for his (or her; i dont want to be beaten up by Puji Ma'am :p:) shots. This is 'up' the tempo, and give you a much needed breather. If its you who is on strike, go for YOUR shots (duh!)

Thats all I can tell you for now. Best of luck with that game of yours

ReputationRep:
    So, if the two threads are going to be merged, then where is the final thread going to be located? In Sport, or in GD? Also, if the threads were going to be merged anyway, I really don't see how this will be any different to what I said at the very beginnin about an individual Cricket Soc being pointless as it would divide cricketing discussion between two threads - I really don't see why it needs to exist - this thread is well established and is frequently visited by all who enjoy cricket, so wouldn't it have made more sense to just continue using it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo~)
    :p::eviltongu
    haha

ReputationRep:
    Even though Freddie's a great captain, i think someone like Strauss or Trescothick would be better. I mean he already does so much, and im sure soon it will get too much for him.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i favor Vaughan.
    He's not THAT good a batsmen, but i like his field placement..

ReputationRep:
    hey MA'AM

ReputationRep:
    heya dude!

ReputationRep:
    no disrespect angel, but you seem against the very idea :p:
    the crick soc is visited FREQUENTLY everyday, and this thread is going to be part of the soc in GD.
    the last post here was by me a day ago... and by xaviertroy, a member of the soc, 2 days ago... :p:
    cheers mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Y A Z)
    Well, i favor Vaughan.
    He's not THAT good a batsmen, but i like his field placement..
    lol definitely, he's a rubbish batsman!

ReputationRep:
    I also disagree with the idea - if there is a sporting society, it should still be based in sport as that would be where people would expect to find discussion of this nature - I'm sure if this wasn't the case Cindy (the mod in charge of the sport forum) would get very quickly pissed off by the number of cricketing threads.

Why not have a little respect for those who have been active in this thread for a long time and wish it to remain as it is, and will - in the long run, form the majority of the posters here. Just because you want your name strung up with everything, doesn't necessarily mean thats going to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    Run only if you think you can complete the run; if your tired, tell your partner to go for his (or her; i dont want to be beaten up by Puji Ma'am :p:) shots.
    Why would i be mad? Lol but you never do wanna get into a fight with me! :p:
    And you can stop calling me ma'am you know! Well only of you want...

ReputationRep:
    Ah let the n00bs have their fun - the novelty will soon wane...

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse im not going to get in a fight with you
    you one of my fav, members :p:
    and yeh, im going to call you ma'am, ma'am!

ReputationRep:
    i like FREDDIE!

his heavyyyyyyyyy

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hey krazi puji

how are you?

ReputationRep:
    hehe! shes gone. i call her ma'am! i dont know why.
    im going to call you 'the leader' rahmara :p:
    im off!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hehe! shes gone. i call her ma'am! i dont know why.
    im going to call you 'the leader' rahmara :p:
    im off!!!!!
    ooh

thats nice

LEADER

ReputationRep:
    I should hope so...the question is whether that is before or after our cricophillic natures have been confined to GD....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I also disagree with the idea - if there is a sporting society, it should still be based in sport as that would be where people would expect to find discussion of this nature - I'm sure if this wasn't the case Cindy (the mod in charge of the sport forum) would get very quickly pissed off by the number of cricketing threads.

Why not have a little respect for those who have been active in this thread for a long time and wish it to remain as it is, and will - in the long run, form the majority of the posters here. Just because you want your name strung up with everything, doesn't necessarily mean thats going to be the case.
    :five:

Exactly - there's nothing wrong with this thread. The 'Cricket Soc' will do much the same as this very thread, except that some guy will now feel like a hero as he's in charge of it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.