Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Governments dont listen to protests watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but it just find it so funny that when there is a protest in the Middle East, this country responds by sending Tornado jets and bombs the country in favour of the protesters. But yet we had 500 000 people protesting in Trafalgar Square and we do not see serious changes in the government. Doesn't it ring a bell with the politicians that maybe their doing something wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_great_one)
    working for the public sector is the same as claiming benefits.
    **** head

ReputationRep:
    When the government stops listening, people will go to ANY lengths to make themselves heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    When the government stops listening, people will go to ANY lengths to make themselves heard.
    let them go to any lengths it still wont change anything. If we use labours policy of not doing it as quick then that means we have to borrow more money and get in even more debt so they've got the right idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    let them go to any lengths it still wont change anything. If we use labours policy of not doing it as quick then that means we have to borrow more money and get in even more debt so they've got the right idea.
    A general strike and riots will change things, even if it is just the dissolution of Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    A general strike and riots will change things, even if it is just the dissolution of Parliament.
    General strikes are illegal so now it wont and most people agree with the cuts only public sector workers dont so you wont even have the whole nation with you.

ReputationRep:
    most people agree with the cuts only public sector workers dont
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Working for the public sector is the same as claiming benefits.
    Tell that to the doctors, nurses, teachers, police etc.

Benefit claimants? Yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    The average pension in local government is just £4,000 a year, dropping to £2,600 for women.

"gold plated pensions" are a myth drummed up by shitty tabloids like the mail based on a handful of cases.
    This.

Yeah, maybe a small minority of public sector workers get very large pensions, but the majority get small, if not very average pensions.

I know someone who retired recently who was a departmental manager at a local council. They have an ok pension (£10k per year), but it's hardly buckets of gold.

ReputationRep:
    Right, did u actually bother to look at the recent poll where it showed most people agreed with them or are u just living in your fantasy world with your rose tinted glasses on...let me think. So why dont u go back to $hagging sheep you stupid taffy moron.
    lols.
    Its quite amusing that the only argument you can ever come back with are insults.
    Don't you think I have already heard the sheep shagging and taffy jokes a million times before?

Anyway, I am not living in a fantasy world. I do not support the cuts, and I do not work in the public sector. The same goes for my family and for a lot of people I know.

And do you really think the public sector is that bad? How do you think the country would cope without government, without police, without the fire service, without schools, etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    lols.
    Its quite amusing that the only argument you can ever come back with are insults.
    Don't you think I have already heard the sheep shagging and taffy jokes a million times before?

Anyway, I am not living in a fantasy world. I do not support the cuts, and I do not work in the public sector. The same goes for my family and for a lot of people I know.

And do you really think the public sector is that bad? How do you think the country would cope without government, without police, without the fire service, without schools, etc etc etc.

No i dont think the public sectors that bad its just over inflated and the priority should be with the private sector.

(Original post by reaped)
    Say that to Egypt... or Tunisia...
    Mubarak had more than the protesters to deal with. He had leaders all over the world leaning on him to get him to step down.

ReputationRep:
    No i dont think the public sectors that bad its just over inflated and the priority should be with the private sector.
    But surely, if you take that view, then it should be the "fat cats" with the cushy "non jobs" who should be in the firing line? (as much as I hate using those two terms, its the only way I can describe it). Not the people who work had to provide vital public services?

How can you justify paying council heads £200k a year, when you are sacking teachers, nurses, doctors, police officers etc.

(Original post by Scarface-Don)
    Sorry but it just find it so funny that when there is a protest in the Middle East, this country responds by sending Tornado jets and bombs the country in favour of the protesters. But yet we had 500 000 people protesting in Trafalgar Square and we do not see serious changes in the government. Doesn't it ring a bell with the politicians that maybe their doing something wrong?
    It's not even close. People who think Saturday's protests can even start to be compared to Libya Tunisia and Egypt are worryingly deluded to say the least.

1) Gaddafi and Mubarak are dictators. We do not live under a dictatorship, no matter how much one may rabidly hate Conservative policy. Before somebody starts going "rah rah this government have no mandate I didn't vote a coalition" - we had a hung parliament. Unless your head was planted firmly in the sand last April before the election, commentators widely agreed that a hung parliament and coalition government were not only possible, but the most probable. Coalitions are perfectly legitimate results in the case of a hung parliament.

2) 1 million people protested against the Iraq war. Labour refused to listen and still went ahead anyway. 500,000 public sector workers is diddly squat in terms of representing the entire country

3) We had an election last May - one where everyone and their dog agreed that cuts had to be made, and millions of people voted for the parties that said they would make cuts (aka most parties). See point 1, where those countries are run by dictators, and have no elections. Since the Conservatives received quite a few votes, that tells me that a lot of people agree with the cuts. Countries like Libya and Egypt are ones where people never get their say, and get no opportunity to vote new leaders in.

Leaders all around the world have expressed their wish for Gaddafi to step down, and did so for Mubarak. No leaders are demanding that Cameron steps down just because of a few spending cuts in the public sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But surely, if you take that view, then it should be the "fat cats" with the cushy "non jobs" who should be in the firing line? (as much as I hate using those two terms, its the only way I can describe it). Not the people who work had to provide vital public services?

How can you justify paying council heads £200k a year, when you are sacking teachers, nurses, doctors, police officers etc.
    in my view theirs entirely to much of everything at the moment and too many cooks spoil the broth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnetinbum)
    It's not even close. People who think Saturday's protests can even start to be compared to Libya Tunisia and Egypt are worryingly deluded to say the least.

1) Gaddafi and Mubarak are dictators. We do not live under a dictatorship, no matter how much one may rabidly hate Conservative policy. Before somebody starts going "rah rah this government have no mandate I didn't vote a coalition" - we had a hung parliament. Unless your head was planted firmly in the sand last April before the election, commentators widely agreed that a hung parliament and coalition government were not only possible, but the most probable. Coalitions are perfectly legitimate results in the case of a hung parliament.

2) 1 million people protested against the Iraq war. Labour refused to listen and still went ahead anyway. 500,000 public sector workers is diddly squat in terms of representing the entire country

3) We had an election last May - one where everyone and their dog agreed that cuts had to be made, and millions of people voted for the parties that said they would make cuts (aka most parties). See point 1, where those countries are run by dictators, and have no elections. Since the Conservatives received quite a few votes, that tells me that a lot of people agree with the cuts. Countries like Libya and Egypt are ones where people never get their say, and get no opportunity to vote new leaders in.

Leaders all around the world have expressed their wish for Gaddafi to step down, and did so for Mubarak. No leaders are demanding that Cameron steps down just because of a few spending cuts in the public sector.
    But why is it that Gaddafi has to step down? The West has been silent for the last 42 years when he was in power and benefitted enormously from the country's oil. Havent you noticed that the recent cities recaptured by the rebels are all hugely oil rich? Why is it that this democracy system which the Unites States tries to introduce into virtually every country is seen as the universal correct one? Only because a country has a different political system doesn't make them evil of a sudden. I am not saying that Gaddafi is a good person but Libya has probably made the most progess in the last 42 years under his lead and in the process, other countries like Italy and the UK have benefitted. Why did America fight the Vietnam War? The answer is to get rid of communism which is portraid as the most evil policy in the world. But if you want equal rights for every citizen surely it is the most suitable political system? Im not saying that communism is a good system but why does the West discourage it? Why did America fund those Afghan freedom fighters during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Its all so that they can introduce ''democracy'' and ''give people the right to choose their leader'' where in reality it gives them an opportunity to plant a puppet leader every four years.

ReputationRep:
    Working for the public sector is the same as claiming benefits.
    Ehh we need a Public Sector. It provides, Education, health, Policing ect. There is room to cut the unnecessary parts of it. But to call it the same as benefit claiming is downright disgraceful.

In regards to the protest, I'm quite sure the government listened, it just won't take into account the arguments because it believes what it is doing is right. There were at most 500,000 people at that protest from at least 25 Million voters, it isn't even a dent.

And by Ed Miliband completely attaching himself to it I'm quite sure this will make the government more apathetic towards it.

ReputationRep:
    General strikes are illegal so now it wont and most people agree with the cuts only public sector workers dont so you wont even have the whole nation with you.
    I was going to snap at your ignorance but as I'm in a good mood, I shall try and educate you.

When a public sector worker loses his job, he has less money which means he will spend less. He will have to dismiss the child minder who looks after his children, cancel the extension the local builder was going to do for him, he'll go to the local pub less because beer is more expensive, so the landlord will have to put up the price to compensate for the lack of custom.

You see the public sector cuts will create a domino effect, and a lot of private sector workers will find themselves out of the job too and that's when things will start to get interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Kthxbai

(Original post by Scarface-Don)
    But why is it that Gaddafi has to step down? The West has been silent for the last 42 years when he was in power and benefitted enormously from the country's oil. Havent you noticed that the recent cities recaptured by the rebels are all hugely oil rich? Why is it that this democracy system which the Unites States tries to introduce into virtually every country is seen as the universal correct one? Only because a country has a different political system doesn't make them evil of a sudden. I am not saying that Gaddafi is a good person but Libya has probably made the most progess in the last 42 years under his lead and in the process, other countries like Italy and the UK have benefitted. Why did America fight the Vietnam War? The answer is to get rid of communism which is portraid as the most evil policy in the world. But if you want equal rights for every citizen surely it is the most suitable political system? Im not saying that communism is a good system but why does the West discourage it? Why did America fund those Afghan freedom fighters during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Its all so that they can introduce ''democracy'' and ''give people the right to choose their leader'' where in reality it gives them an opportunity to plant a puppet leader every four years.
    We could argue until we're blue in the face about whether communism is better than capitalism, but I strongly disagree that communism is the best system to ensure equal rights for all citizens. With communism you still have a few elites sat at the top with all the power and money.

I agree that the West has been largely inconsistent with its dealings and motives in the Middle East. However, that's more of a different subject for a different thread.

EDIT: No need to neg me, I was the one who repped you as well because somebody negged you for no reason.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.