The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Hey :smile:

I've received an unconditional offer from strathclyde (yey!:biggrin:) and am wanting to apply for my accommodation pretty soon but dont know which ones to apply for! i don't mind whether i have an en suite bathroom or share shower/WC facilities, ill probably end up sharing just to save on money! but which ones would you recommend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Scarlett--xx

I've received an unconditional offer from strathclyde (yey!:biggrin:) and am wanting to apply for my accommodation pretty soon but dont know which ones to apply for! i don't mind whether i have an en suite bathroom or share shower/WC facilities, ill probably end up sharing just to save on money! but which ones would you recommend?

Hey congratulations!I have a conditional offer so I did some digging about the halls.Apparently if you want your own toilet and shower,the Chancellors Hall is one of the best,but if you're ok sharing WC facilities-I've heard only good things about Birkbeck Halls :smile:) it's your call :tongue:
which course are you taking btw?i hope to see you in a few month :tongue:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
thanks, you too! :biggrin:

well ive been trying to read reviews about the halls but i havent had much success, ive only read a few because most of them are by scottish students who review the university as a whole and didnt stay in halls :/ ill probably have to do a bit more researching before i apply though, ive got plenty of time to do it though so im in no hurry atm :smile:

and im doing international business :smile: sounds kind of boring i know haha, what are you doing? :tongue:
Reply 3

thanks, you too! :biggrin:

well ive been trying to read reviews about the halls but i havent had much success, ive only read a few because most of them are by scottish students who review the university as a whole and didnt stay in halls :/ ill probably have to do a bit more researching before i apply though, ive got plenty of time to do it though so im in no hurry atm :smile:

and im doing international business :smile: sounds kind of boring i know haha, what are you doing? :tongue:

yes you can do that :smile: from the pictures in the site they all look really cosy so i don't think there's such thing as "bad residence hall in Strathclyde" :tongue:
i'm doing Marketing..at least i hope so :biggrin:
where are you from?
Reply 4
I've just received a conditional offer for Strathclyde and am looking into accommodation options. On their website they state 'Our residences are mixed for both males and females with single sex flats, except for second year students, who can choose to live in a mixed sex group.' - does this mean there are no halls in Glasgow in which I can be put with both guys and girls?
Original post by pyaneva
Hey congratulations!I have a conditional offer so I did some digging about the halls.Apparently if you want your own toilet and shower,the Chancellors Hall is one of the best,but if you're ok sharing WC facilities-I've heard only good things about Birkbeck Halls :smile:) it's your call :tongue:
which course are you taking btw?i hope to see you in a few month :tongue:

Birkbeck has a lot of parties but it can be a bit of slum tbh
In the words of a friend there

"Our kitchen looks like a crack den" :tongue:
So if you want lots of parties Birkbeck is good, the rest are similar quality but more calm.

The en-suite accommodation is really nice though (I stay in Chancellors).
Chancellors is getting refurbished next year too, btw.
(the year I leave of course, dammit :lol:)
Original post by showerhead
I've just received a conditional offer for Strathclyde and am looking into accommodation options. On their website they state 'Our residences are mixed for both males and females with single sex flats, except for second year students, who can choose to live in a mixed sex group.' - does this mean there are no halls in Glasgow in which I can be put with both guys and girls?

Yes, unfortunately, all Strathclyde 1st year residences are single sex. But most times the flat next door to you will be the opposite sex, so it's not too bad. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by GingerGoat
Yes, unfortunately, all Strathclyde 1st year residences are single sex. But most times the flat next door to you will be the opposite sex, so it's not too bad. :smile:

Ah. I take it there are halls not affiliated with Stathclyde that allow mixed sex flats then? (Victoria Halls, for example. Know any more?)
Ah. I take it there are halls not affiliated with Stathclyde that allow mixed sex flats then? (Victoria Halls, for example. Know any more?)

My friend lives in Victoria Halls, and yes he has a mixed flat (2F:3M)
UNITE flats are the other option, but aren't worth the money imo.
2nd years in Strathy halls can have mixed flats though.

The main advantage of Strathy halls is being able to get up at 8 55 am :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by GingerGoat
The main advantage of Strathy halls is being able to get up at 8 55 am :lol:

Yeah, that does sound great! It's just that I'm not much of a 'lad', I don't think I'd get on with a flat full of guys drinking bear and watching footy.
Yeah, that does sound great! It's just that I'm not much of a 'lad', I don't think I'd get on with a flat full of guys drinking bear and watching footy.

Don't worry I'm much the same tbh :nope:
Just make sure you state something like that on your form when you apply in the "About You" bits.
The other option is Murray Halls. Which are just massive open corridors with kitchens every now and then. So everything is mixed as such as there aren't specific "flats" as such. :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, I was just wondering something. I know that all first years who live more than 25 miles out are entitled to a room at halls. If you stay closer than 25 miles but still want to move away from home, are you able to apply for accommodation at Strathclyde Uni??
Reply 12
I was set on applying to Victoria Halls but they're currently full: gutted! I've put my name on the waiting list but I'm not sure if any spaces will even come available. Unsure whether I should just give in and apply to Buchanan View via Unite.
Reply 13

Hey I lived in Chancellor's last year for my first year, I'd say it's the best one to go for, the whole block (I stayed ground floor B block) was renovated the summer before we moved in so everything is new and spanking, especially the kitchens! I visited other accommodation blocks and... Well some of them were hideous, especially Birkbeck, no offence to anyone who live(d/s) there :P
(edited 12 years ago)

I stay in Forbes Hall. It is like Birkbeck, but we get sinks in our rooms and also two showers and two toilets per flat. The kitchen is decent and living room is quite big as well. Birbeck kitchens and living rooms are a lot smaller and there isn't really a table that can seat 6 people either. Also the rooms in Forbes are bigger than Birkbeck.

Most Halls at Strathclyde are for 6 people, but some have 4 instead. Murray is a long hall of individual rooms with huge kitchens/living areas; Chancellor's is like Forbes but everyone has ensuites. Thomas Campbell is basically another Forbes but they don't get cleaners in once a week.

There are a lot of flat parties in Birkbeck while are always a good laugh but for the people actually staying there it could be quite bad when you want an early night/revision time. Everywhere else parties as well but most just go to Birkbeck.

So it really depends on if prioritise either partying or everything else if you go for Birkbeck.
Reply 15
Im putting up the following halls as my preferences for the accomodation..

1. James Goold

2. James Young

3. Chancellors

Has anybody stayed at any of these places? What should i know about these halls? I hope i made the right choice.
Reply 16
Hi guys,

does anyone of you know any private accomodation you would recommend?

Best!
Reply 17
Hi!

I have just received an offer for a place in Thomas Campbell Court. Is there anyone who's about to go there too?
Reply 18
I have got a place in James Goold Halls, which is right the one's next to Thomas Campbell court anyway... anyone else in these halls either? :smile:
Original post by Eva Li
Hi!

I have just received an offer for a place in Thomas Campbell Court. Is there anyone who's about to go there too?

I was there last year. It's the best one. (according to me anyway!)

Quick Reply

Latest