Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from the UK and I'm confused about a thing: do you British guys drive to the pub, have a drink and then drive back home? Isn't that drunk driving?

PS: I know this may be a stupid question, but still :confused:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you only have a pint and a half you can drive.

And sure, people do drink drive, but don't only call out 'British Guys' for doing so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMonger)
    As long as you only have a pint and a half you can drive.

And sure, people do drink drive, but don't only call out 'British Guys' for doing so...
    Although for some people, a pint and a half would render them pretty incapable of driving. Basically there is a legal blood alcohol limit, but you also have to know your own limit

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't touch alcohol if i am driving but I know people who will happily drive drunk.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why would you think we do that? :p:

Most people either get a taxi/bus/whatever, walk, or beg a sober friend to take them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Although for some people, a pint and a half would render them pretty incapable of driving. Basically there is a legal blood alcohol limit, but you also have to know your own limit
    I apologize for this being totally off topic; but the quote in your signature made me smile. The lyrics are from Strange And Beautiful (I'll Put A Spell On You) by Aqualung, aren't they? I love that song.

ReputationRep:
    There's such thing as a designated driver :P

Though actually most people just go to their local pub so there's not much walking involved. Or when people go clubbing they get taxis/ night buses.

ReputationRep:
    Well actully if you think about it, it's not. The reason for this is that ethanol in the alcohol is actually the opposite to a thixotropic liquid, and therefore more fluid in its essence. Thus, when the person drinks the alcohol, upon reaching the duodenum it is fractionally distilled into all the components, which are then each digested separately, allowing for the non drunken ness of the driver.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, most of us walk to the pub or get the bus. Occasionally people are forced to drive, in which case they restrict themselves to one or two drinks.

True. It depends on how big you are, how used to alcohol you are, when you last ate. Some people can have two pints and be perfectly under the limit, some people are unsafe after one.

ReputationRep:
    No harm in having something to drink at a pub with a meal at lunch time.
    If "going out for the night" i'll either take a taxi or drive down and pick the car up the next day.

I wish we took Australia's zero tolerance rules for drinking and driving. Any amount alcohol will effect you. It's wrong to be promoting that you can drive if you drink below a certain number of units imo considering how many factors are involved when it comes to alcohol tolerance. Give designated drivers free soft drinks and anyone with any alcohol in their system while they're driving should be charged.

ReputationRep:
    You can do that, as long as you don't exceed the drink driving limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I wish we took Australia's zero tolerance rules for drinking and driving. Any amount alcohol will effect you. It's wrong to be promoting that you can drive if you drink below a certain number of units imo considering how many factors are involved when it comes to alcohol tolerance. Give designated drivers free soft drinks and anyone with any alcohol in their system while they're driving should be charged.
    Have you been to Australia? The limit's 0.05 on your full licence...

(Original post by charlotte-rose)
    Have you been to Australia? The limit's 0.05 on your full licence...
    I always thought they had zero tolerance on it O_o Heh well the point still stands. Some people might be able to drive at 0.08% but not everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I always thought they had zero tolerance on it O_o Heh well the point still stands. Some people might be able to drive at 0.08% but not everyone.
    Zero tolerance on your p-plates (so under 21s, with an australian licence, all have a zero-tolerance). I'm under 21, but I still own my full licence here so I have a 0.05 limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Can't be zero. Don't forget there's often an element of alcohol in food.

ReputationRep:
    Leave the car at the pub and get a cab home?

ReputationRep:
    ...which is also a legal limit.

In the rare situation that someone was found to be under the limit but still under their 'own' limit, and therefore caused an accident, they would be done for drink driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Not here, some countries do have this though.

ReputationRep:
    It's entirely possible to blow under the legal limit yet still be done for driving while incapable.

If you were slurring your speech or whatever then the number you blow would be irrelevant. A prosecution on that 'evidence' would be unlikely, but entirely possible.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.