Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't I have any real friends? watch

I don't have any real friends in the sense that I don't have any who I go out with/have lunch/watch movies with Why?

I stopped having these friends after I left high school. Now I'm always alone

SOMEONE help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Be more fun.

ReputationRep:
    You need to do something in order to meet people and be friends with them/get to know them.
    You need to get out more and do something in life instead of staying inside browsing the web.

ReputationRep:
    Hiii!

I'm not the most popular girl out there, but to make friends, I always just start off with the basics! You know, the "Hi, how are you?" "What are your hobbies?" "What do you wanna be when you grow up" routine. Have you tried that? For me it works 100%!

Or if you don't want to do that, just smile when you walk past someone, a smile always brightens someones day!

ReputationRep:
    loool....friends=useless majority of the time...dont stress it

ReputationRep:
    Its so sad, but a million of us are similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't have any real friends in the sense that I don't have any who I go out with/have lunch/watch movies with Why?

I stopped having these friends after I left high school. Now I'm always alone

SOMEONE help!!!
    Can I be your friend?

(Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Be more fun.
    I think I am fun... I make people laugh etc?

(Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    You need to do something in order to meet people and be friends with them/get to know them.
    You need to get out more and do something in life instead of staying inside browsing the web.
    I have 'friends', I don't have the friends who invite me out to do stuff. I have people to talk too but not to do stuff things with. Also I do other things besides browse the internet...

(Original post by T94)
    Hiii!

I'm not the most popular girl out there, but to make friends, I always just start off with the basics! You know, the "Hi, how are you?" "What are your hobbies?" "What do you wanna be when you grow up" routine. Have you tried that? For me it works 100%!

Or if you don't want to do that, just smile when you walk past someone, a smile always brightens someones day!
    I do that and to those people, I classify them as 'acquaintances'. It doesn't make me friends who care about me or friends who will have 'fun' with me

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually tried inviting any of your not-friends (I assume you have friendly-ness with people as you had to specify the lack of activities outside of just someone to talk to during whatever day-to-day activities you do) out for lunch, to watch a movie, to the pub? (just because they don't invite you, doesn't mean you can't invite them )

As ever, go, get involved in something, talk to new people, put yourself out there. Remember that in the big wide world after school, you have to make more of an effort, as you're not jammed into the same place with the same people for most of the week, forced to interact.

ReputationRep:
    whining on TSR will only get you so far, its not going to just drop into your lap you need to go out and make it happen, join a social group, take up a hobby etc etc,

there are people out tere to suit everyones tastes, you need to look for them not wait for them to randomly knock on your door

(Original post by dungeonkeepr)
    Have you actually tried inviting any of your not-friends (I assume you have friendly-ness with people as you had to specify the lack of activities outside of just someone to talk to during whatever day-to-day activities you do) out for lunch, to watch a movie, to the pub? (just because they don't invite you, doesn't mean you can't invite them )

As ever, go, get involved in something, talk to new people, put yourself out there. Remember that in the big wide world after school, you have to make more of an effort, as you're not jammed into the same place with the same people for most of the week, forced to interact.
    Can you suggest how I invite them out? I'm not too sure. They all seem to have a close group of friends, which I am not part of. I'm also highly certain that if I invite them, I will get rejected - I have this gut feeling - if not rejected, at least placed in their minds as someone weird/put in a box and they will try to avoid me and avoiding answering my invites. Maybe they're not even real friends... I don't know, but I have this feeling.

I am involved in many things. I do many activities and I do talk to new people - but it only produces acquaintances or temporary friends for the day, more than anything else.

(Original post by silverbolt)
    whining on TSR will only get you so far, its not going to just drop into your lap you need to go out and make it happen, join a social group, take up a hobby etc etc,

there are people out tere to suit everyones tastes, you need to look for them not wait for them to randomly knock on your door
    I've joined many things but how do I make those people I meet, into 'true' friends who care about me as I do of them? I don't seem to have been able to achieve this.

ReputationRep:
    Can you suggest how I invite them out? I'm not too sure. They all seem to have a close group of friends, which I am not part of. I'm also highly certain that if I invite them, I will get rejected - I have this gut feeling - if not rejected, at least placed in their minds as someone weird/put in a box and they will try to avoid me and avoiding answering my invites. Maybe they're not even real friends... I don't know, but I have this feeling.
    OK, if it goes the way you think it will:

a) You will get rejected
    b) They accept you but think you're a little odd, then reject you later

Either way you end up in the same position you are now (alone), BUT there is the possibility that they will accept you and you can do stuff with them. The worst that can happen is that you end up back where you started, so what is there to lose?

(Original post by ily_em)
    OK, if it goes the way you think it will:

a) You will get rejected
    b) They accept you but think you're a little odd, then reject you later

Either way you end up in the same position you are now (alone), BUT there is the possibility that they will accept you and you can do stuff with them. The worst that can happen is that you end up back where you started, so what is there to lose?
    Because the people I know are the coolest people everrrrr! In all seriousness, they know everybody and if I'm mentioned to be odd, I'll never hear the end of it. Together, they know nearly everyone in my course and they know all these outside friends that I also know and they also know important recent graduates who I'm hoping in the future to help me get an internship...

I'll be bullied and even more miserable if I get placed in the 'odd pile' and 'try keep away from' zone.

ReputationRep:
    Because the people I know are the coolest people everrrrr! In all seriousness, they know everybody and if I'm mentioned to be odd, I'll never hear the end of it. Together, they know nearly everyone in my course and they know all these outside friends that I also know and they also know important recent graduates who I'm hoping in the future to help me get an internship...

I'll be bullied and even more miserable if I get placed in the 'odd pile' and 'try keep away from' zone.
    I'd just try finding a film you want to see and when you're in a conversation with a couple of these 'none-friends' say something like "Does anyone fancy going to see *insert film here* on *insert day here*?"
    Most people will either respond with a "yeah, sounds good" or if they don't fancy it they'll just say "sorry, I can't make it, I'm working that day". If someone I knew suggested a few of us see a film I'd never think that was odd, even if it wasn't someone I normally did that with.

ReputationRep:
    Bah, never did friends well at uni.

Made some friends in first year but then just drifted off, not that interested in going out every weekend so just kind of lost contact...

Luckily im in a long-term relationship lol - dont need em!

I spend most of my time with old school friends and my cousins lol

In my opinion you need to do some of them societies things - you meet people who have things in common with you and are forced to talk to them every week etc, I wish I had done some (in first year anyway) I know people who made some really good friends with them.

(Original post by Sazzle4)
    I'd just try finding a film you want to see and when you're in a conversation with a couple of these 'none-friends' say something like "Does anyone fancy going to see *insert film here* on *insert day here*?"
    Most people will either respond with a "yeah, sounds good" or if they don't fancy it they'll just say "sorry, I can't make it, I'm working that day". If someone I knew suggested a few of us see a film I'd never think that was odd, even if it wasn't someone I normally did that with.
    Ok. I will try keep this in mind.

Thanks a lot This is one of the most genuine and best responses I can expect from TSR, I am seeing.

ReputationRep:

I am involved in many things. I do many activities and I do talk to new people - but it only produces acquaintances or temporary friends for the day, more than anything else.

I've joined many things but how do I make those people I meet, into 'true' friends who care about me as I do of them? I don't seem to have been able to achieve this.
    Run for a position on a committee? Or just be someone who helps out, walks back after things with people (in the dark, against all the scary things It forms a bond

There's always, the "oh, [club/pub/other place] I've never been there!" thing. Then someone who's been there goes, OMG [place] is great, you HAVE to go there. You: no-one ever wants to go them: We're going [time], why don't you come? Never fails

ReputationRep:
    Sit by your front door until someone eventually rings it and then ask if they can be your best friend.

ReputationRep:
    because you're on here making threads :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I will try keep this in mind.

Thanks a lot This is one of the most genuine and best responses I can expect from TSR, I am seeing.
    No problem, hope it helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.