Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Imperial Business School Vs Durham Business School for MSc in Finance?? watch

• View Poll Results: Imperial Business School Vs Durham Business School
    Imperial Business School
    86.96%
    Durham Business School
    13.04%

ReputationRep:
    I know that at first look this question seems ridiculous, so please don’t start swearing at me..I want your opinion after you consider very carefully if it’s worth paying 4 times more tuition fees for Imperial College than Durham.

I have unconditional offers from both of them and I really don’t have problem with the difference of the locations because is only for one year and I love both programmes but Imperial is more intensive and I like the challenge.

The basic criterion for me ---because I will have to take a loan in order to go to Imperial (27500 pounds)--- is if I will have more chances to find a job after I finish the MSc and if that job will be good enough to help me repay the loan. After my MSc I want to work to England and because of the recession I do not know if I will have the chance to find a job in case that I go to Durham instead of Imperial.

Please, please, please help me to take the right decision!!!!!!!!!!I don't want to take a loan and end up to jail because I won't be able to repay it...

ReputationRep:
    haha risk it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    haha risk it
    Yes but risk is also to go to Durham instead of Imperial...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, where are you from? what is ur undergrand degree? Any work experience?

Imperial and Dur have both very good MSFs but as you said Imperial is more quant=more challenging.

Imperial is Imperial...IBs recruit heavily from Oxbridge,Imperial, LSE and Warwick...then we move in to places like Durham, Cass, Bath (I believe Durham is between tier 1 and tier 2 b-school..a category on its own).

Your point on the fees is valid. 27500 GBP+about 1500 GBP/month for staying in london...

If you decide to take a loan you have to make sure that you can make it and finish the MSc.

Well, think of it as an investment...I cannot guaranty a job cause that depends on other qualifications you hold, but I think this title would give you chances for your application to be examined if not anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtassi)
    I know that at first look this question seems ridiculous, so please don’t start swearing at me..I want your opinion after you consider very carefully if it’s worth paying 4 times more tuition fees for Imperial College than Durham.

I have unconditional offers from both of them and I really don’t have problem with the difference of the locations because is only for one year and I love both programmes but Imperial is more intensive and I like the challenge.

The basic criterion for me ---because I will have to take a loan in order to go to Imperial (27500 pounds)--- is if I will have more chances to find a job after I finish the MSc and if that job will be good enough to help me repay the loan. After my MSc I want to work to England and because of the recession I do not know if I will have the chance to find a job in case that I go to Durham instead of Imperial.

Please, please, please help me to take the right decision!!!!!!!!!!I don't want to take a loan and end up to jail because I won't be able to repay it...

according to the new visa rules coming from april.
    you will not be able to worl in Uk after your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPhs)
    Hey, where are you from? what is ur undergrand degree? Any work experience?

Imperial and Dur have both very good MSFs but as you said Imperial is more quant=more challenging.

Imperial is Imperial...IBs recruit heavily from Oxbridge,Imperial, LSE and Warwick...then we move in to places like Durham, Cass, Bath (I believe Durham is between tier 1 and tier 2 b-school..a category on its own).

Your point on the fees is valid. 27500 GBP+about 1500 GBP/month for staying in london...

If you decide to take a loan you have to make sure that you can make it and finish the MSc.

Well, think of it as an investment...I cannot guaranty a job cause that depends on other qualifications you hold, but I think this title would give you chances for your application to be examined if not anything else.
    I am from Greece and my BSc was in Management Science and Technology from Athens University of Economics and business. Pathway Quantitative Methods in Business and Finance. I graduated with top 2% of my class (I don't know if this is a plus)
    Since my graduation I ve been working in Banks as business analyst in brojects with IBM and iflex solution (3-4 years work experience).
    So, more IT than finance projects..and I really would like to work as financial analyst or in Risk Management Department in a UK firm..that's way I want to do a MSc in Finance..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medtobe)
    according to the new visa rules coming from april.
    you will not be able to worl in Uk after your studies.
    :confused: and who is going to work in UK?Only UK citizens?

ReputationRep:
    :confused: and who is going to work in UK?Only UK citizens?
    I guess that the new visa rules are for non-EU people. A lot of international people are a bit screwed in that way but also unis might be as well since a lot of them populate a vast majority of their courses. However, tier 1 unis will always be full.

ReputationRep:
    I am from Greece and my BSc was in Management Science and Technology from Athens University of Economics and business. Pathway Quantitative Methods in Business and Finance. I graduated with top 2% of my class (I don't know if this is a plus)
    Since my graduation I ve been working in Banks as business analyst in brojects with IBM and iflex solution (3-4 years work experience).
    So, more IT than finance projects..and I really would like to work as financial analyst or in Risk Management Department in a UK firm..that's way I want to do a MSc in Finance..
    That's cool. I didn't know this course. Looks like that you have some quant background and the fact that u ended up top 2% puts some extra weight on you application. Work experience is a great plus. Imperial looks for high marks + any extra you might have.

Also keep in mind the fact that Dur is not so easily accesible from Athens Make sure you apply NOW for both. Imperial's applications is time demanding cause you need to write 4 short essays + letter of motivation (and yes, they play a great role). You can always put one of them down assuming that you get offered a place. Don't have any experience with Durham requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPhs)
    That's cool. I didn't know this course. Looks like that you have some quant background and the fact that u ended up top 2% puts some extra weight on you application. Work experience is a great plus. Imperial looks for high marks + any extra you might have.

Also keep in mind the fact that Dur is not so easily accesible from Athens Make sure you apply NOW for both. Imperial's applications is time demanding cause you need to write 4 short essays + letter of motivation (and yes, they play a great role). You can always put one of them down assuming that you get offered a place. Don't have any experience with Durham requirements.
    I hold unconditional offers from both of them!if i had the money i would definately go to Imperial but now that i have to take a loan in order to pay tuition fees i am in dilimma.i don't know if Imperial worth all this risk!because the most essential thing for me is to find a good job in UK and maybe this could also happen if i study to Durham..

ReputationRep:
    U just heard from imperial? I got mine last Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPhs)
    U just heard from imperial? I got mine last Friday.
    i applied very early and i have the offer since december.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great! Kalh epituxia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPhs)
    Sounds great! Kalh epituxia
    euharisto poly!where are you from?will you study at Imperial Business school?don' t you think is very expensive?

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Athens, Greece as well. Just writing in English cause somebody else could benefit from what I have to say

Yep I will accept Imperial I'm in for the MS Finance as well. I also got offers from other unis. Yes is damn expensive...but a) it's a big honor b) places very well after graduation based on what I have seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPhs)
    I'm from Athens, Greece as well. Just writing in English cause somebody else could benefit from what I have to say

Yep I will accept Imperial I'm in for the MS Finance as well. I also got offers from other unis. Yes is damn expensive...but a) it's a big honor b) places very well after graduation based on what I have seen.
    Nice! good for you!so kali epitihia to you too and thanks for your opinion it was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    just so you know i am offerholder, will take a loan and took a year out to earn cash for it. Big risk = possible reward

ReputationRep:
    euharisto poly!where are you from?will you study at Imperial Business school?don' t you think is very expensive?

(Original post by DrPhs)

Ah nai?! geai sas! o kaliteros filos mou apo to university einai ellinida, and we both have offers for the MSc Finance at Imperial (eimai apo anglia, alla milao liga ellinika - at least badly!!).

ReputationRep:
    I love the use of 'criterion'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Ah nai?! geai sas! o kaliteros filos mou apo to university einai ellinida, and we both have offers for the MSc Finance at Imperial (eimai apo anglia, alla milao liga ellinika - at least badly!!).
    hey, cool. which uni? u mind sharing ur background?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.