The Student Room Group

What is the point in attending a protest...

... condemning British foreign policy, war, genocide, tax dodging uk companies, etc and then wanting to go in Starbucks afterwards?? People in my group got into a hissy fit with me because I told them there's no way in hell i'm going to buy poor quality coffee from Starbucks after years and years of boycotting them and then explained why I do, etc.

They then got all frustrated and annoyed that I didn't want to go in and offered to go into McDonalds next door instead :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I gave up and went across the road for some greasy chips from some back alley takeaway (they were nice though)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Feeling of belonging.
Reply 2
Am I the only one who doesn't get this? :confused:

So, you're going to boycott Starbucks by going to McDonalds? :s-smilie:
I'm sure their sales are good enough to handle one less person...
I have a saying about my beliefs:

I used to be a communist, but to be honest I quite like McDonalds and Coca-Cola...
Original post by DH-Biker
Am I the only one who doesn't get this? :confused:

So, you're going to boycott Starbucks by going to McDonalds? :s-smilie:
I'm sure their sales are good enough to handle one less person...

No I didn't go into Maccy Ds at all. They suggested.
Reply 5
Original post by jblackmoustache
... condemning British foreign policy, war, genocide, tax dodging uk companies, etc and then wanting to go in Starbucks afterwards?? People in my group got into a hissy fit with me because I told them there's no way in hell i'm going to buy poor quality coffee from Starbucks after years and years of boycotting them and then explained why I do, etc.

They then got all frustrated and annoyed that I didn't want to go in and offered to go into McDonalds next door instead. I gave up and went accross the road for some greasy chips from some back alley takeaway

And why do you?
Reply 7
No I didn't go into Maccy Ds at all. They suggested.

So, you're boycotting Starbucks by thinking of going elsewhere?

Nope, this seems ridiculous... :cool:
Original post by DH-Biker
So, you're boycotting Starbucks by thinking of going elsewhere?

Nope, this seems ridiculous... :cool:

No I actually went somewhere else.
Reply 9
I can understand not wanting to drink the overpriced and rubbishy coffee at starbucks but it sounds like you've got a deeper objection... what's the beef?
Original post by Joinedup
I can understand not wanting to drink the overpriced and rubbishy coffee at starbucks but it sounds like you've got a deeper objection... what's the beef?

Type in Starbucks and Zionism in a search engine.
Protests for a lot of (young) people are just about having fun and trashing things.

Sorry to double post but do you believe in the illuminati as well by any chance?
Reply 13

yeah and I got someone telling me it was a hoax

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/8101574/The_Starbucks_conspiracy_theory_how_a_coffee_chain_was_libelled_by_antiZionists/

There used to be a conspiracy theory that PEPSI was a acronym for Passing Every Penny to the State of Israel - but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.
I go to protests about things that are important to ME.
If I'd been to a protest that actually had something to do with starbucks, then I wouldn't go there... But if I'm at a protest about war or taxes (which are also on your list), then going to starbucks really isn't hypocritical at all.
Btw, I don't ever go to Starbucks...
Reply 15
If you protest then you should boycott all major international companies, starbucks, maccies etc.
The local chip shop is the best idea.
Feel like you belong

extended march. free excercise
Original post by shadow99
If you protest then you should boycott all major international companies, starbucks, maccies etc.
The local chip shop is the best idea.

If you protest at all, or just if you protest against those things?
Reply 18

They then got all frustrated and annoyed that I didn't want to go in and offered to go into McDonalds next door instead :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I gave up and went across the road for some greasy chips from some back alley takeaway (they were nice though)

That's life I'm afraid, everyone is a hypocrite. If you went to every possible length to remove yourself from corporatism you would live self sufficiently in a tree house in the woods.

I don't think it's worth arguing about what shops you boycott and what ones you don't. I have never been in a starbucks in my life, mainly for political reasons but I'm not going to claim that makes me a saint because I am partial to the odd Mcdonalds.

You just have to go with what you feels right, if you don't want to buy starbucks and Mcdonalds products, then don't buy them, it doesn't need to turn into an argument.
Reply 19
To break stuff? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending