Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point in attending a protest... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    ... condemning British foreign policy, war, genocide, tax dodging uk companies, etc and then wanting to go in Starbucks afterwards?? People in my group got into a hissy fit with me because I told them there's no way in hell i'm going to buy poor quality coffee from Starbucks after years and years of boycotting them and then explained why I do, etc.

They then got all frustrated and annoyed that I didn't want to go in and offered to go into McDonalds next door instead :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I gave up and went across the road for some greasy chips from some back alley takeaway (they were nice though)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    That's life I'm afraid, everyone is a hypocrite. If you went to every possible length to remove yourself from corporatism you would live self sufficiently in a tree house in the woods.

I don't think it's worth arguing about what shops you boycott and what ones you don't. I have never been in a starbucks in my life, mainly for political reasons but I'm not going to claim that makes me a saint because I am partial to the odd Mcdonalds.

You just have to go with what you feels right, if you don't want to buy starbucks and Mcdonalds products, then don't buy them, it doesn't need to turn into an argument.

ReputationRep:
    To break stuff?

ReputationRep:
    bit of banter

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.