Turn on thread page Beta

Leeds Met will not charge £9000, but £8,500 fees watch

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha as a third year leeds met student this is the funniest thing i have ever seen, i get the feeling leeds met wont be around much longer tbh

(Original post by Jack.O)

That's the rationale from the DMU site, to give one example. It's not investment banking, but it's not that deplorable a career choice, surely?
    Granted, but it should not be an academic degree course.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Because have just been in a recession, a huge economic **** up, and many people are finding it hard to get jobs, not just graduates.

And again, if graduates are having a hard time finding a job, imagine how hard it would be if you didn't have any degree at all?
    It's irrelevant "how hard", you're unemployed regardless.

That is debatable really.
    University has become much more than just about academics.
    Unfortunately.

You may not like that, but it has happened.
    Employers are asking workers to have degrees when before they wouldn't have asked for one.
    Thus university has become an extension to a young persons normal education.
    It should be for those who can achieve at least BCC (and I'm being nice here).

Well the employers disagree with you.
    Evidence? What employers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    It's irrelevant "how hard", you're unemployed regardless.

Unfortunately.

It should be for those who can achieve at least BCC (and I'm being nice here).

Evidence? What employers?
    1 - Well done for ignoring the point.
    2 and 3 - Well tough
    4 - Umm the NHS?

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    1 - Well done for ignoring the point.
    2 and 3 - Well tough
    4 - Umm the NHS?
    1. Any degrees that are accredited and pertain to the medical/health sciences are fine.

Events management is not.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'ed when I saw this. And yeah, for £500 more you can get to Oxbridge?
    I don't think that's how applying to university necessarily works.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    I don't think that's how applying to university necessarily works.
    What do you mean?

Leeds Met = £8.5k
    Oxford = £9k (less if your household income is under £25,000)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What do you mean?

Leeds Met = £8.5k
    You stated that paying another £500 would get someone into Oxbridge.

And Phalanges said that that's not how applying to universitties really work.

You still need other things to get into Oxbridge, not just paying another £500.

You know that.

lol.

(Original post by street.lovin')
    You stated that paying another £500 would get someone into Oxbridge.

And Phalanges said that that's not how applying to universitties really work.

You still need other things to get into Oxbridge, not just paying another £500.

You know that.

lol.
    Oh right - well, I think that was quite obvious!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh right - well, I think that was quite obvious!
    lol, it was obvious but you said (joking about) that '£500 more can get into Oxbridge' ... So yeah, misunderstandings happen. :P

ReputationRep:
    So Leeds Met are charging their graduate starting salary?

(Original post by JackB123)
    So Leeds Met are charging their graduate starting salary?
    :rofl:

Harsh. :p:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?

Leeds Met = £8.5k
    It is obvious that most people are not choosing between Leeds Met and the University of Oxford. It's a completely meaningless comparison. I feel sorry for Leeds Met, because it is clearly either this or bust. I am not sure why you are so gleeful at the damaging effect these stupid and shortsighted reforms will have on the british university system. Despite your snobbery Leeds Met does produce highly useful grads - notably in the health sciences - nurses, dieticians, physios and so forth - these people are as important to the UK as the academic types that graduate from universities like Oxford. It's just a sad state of affairs really.

(Original post by Organ)
    It is obvious that most people are not choosing between Leeds Met and the University of Oxford. It's a completely meaningless comparison. I feel sorry for Leeds Met, because it is clearly either this or bust. I am not sure why you are so gleeful at the damaging effect these stupid and shortsighted reforms will have on the british university system. Despite your snobbery Leeds Met does produce highly useful grads - notably in hte health sciences - nurses, dieticians, physios and so forth - these people are as important to the UK as the academic types that graduate from universities like Oxford. It's just a sad state of affairs really.
    I'm not against Leeds Met, in itself.

Scrap all the useless courses it offers, keep all the useful courses and give bursaries to those who need it.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?

Leeds Met = £8.5k
    University isn't like buying dinner. Willingness to spend does not equal going there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against Leeds Met, in itself.

Scrap all the useless courses it offers, keep all the useful courses and give bursaries to those who need it.
    Well they essentially have been scrapped - most of the courses are entirely self-funded, hence the £8,500 fees.

ReputationRep:
    8.5k? Lol. They'll struggle to justify charging students at all.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    University isn't like buying dinner. Willingness to spend does not equal going there.
    Agreed. But it is true that Oxford are charging £500 more for their degrees than Leeds Met, right?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. But it is true that Oxford are charging £500 more for their degrees than Leeds Met, right?
    For the last decade the ex-polys have largely been charging an identical amount as Oxford. They aren't charging £8,500 because they think they offer the same standard of academic degrees as Oxford, they are doing it because if they didn't the university would cease to exist.

ReputationRep:
    That is true. What is not true is that you can get to Oxford just by paying that extra.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.